Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Locking/key Fob Help

Danwel

Well yesterday I noticed that I was seemingly having to press the button on my key harder for longer to unlock the car. The wife noticed the same thing but couldn't get it to work full stop. I tried it again and it was working perfectly however this morning it just wouldn't work at all.

First thing I thought was to change the battery but that said its only been in 3 months. I had one in the house from the scales and it was the same and not working. Now I'm not 100% it's not the fob battery as I never had chance to try a brand new one from upstairs as I had a flight to catch so had to leave it.

The car itself is fine and locks and unlocks on the key but the remote buttons just don't seem to have it at all.

Are the remote fobs heavy on use age for batteries? Also they at cheap batteries but I have had them in various things before and never had an issue.

So other than battery is there any other likely suspects? I will check over the weekend when I am home

Try reprogramming the fob.

Four turns from II to 0 in 6 seconds then press any button on the key.

If that doesn't help then try a new CR2032 battery or check the buttons on the key aren't worn.

Maybe a silly question but do you have lots of keys/metal keyrings with your car key? These can interfere with the fobs signal.

Thanks for the reply i will give your suggestions a go.

Yes i do have a few keys and stuff on the car but when i tried it this morning i had just the key in my hand as i was changing the batter.

Also yes the actual key buttons do seem quite worn too now you mention it.

I have spare batteries so will give the battery and re programme a try first. Will re programming the key affect anything that i have changed with elm config?? as i have changed my key setting so one press of the unlock button unlocks ths car and one press of the lock button double locls the car.

The buttons inside wear out and usually need repaired eventually

yeah, you just need to swap the transmitter and then pair it to the car.

Ok so my new fob has arrived and has good and bad news. Once I put it together it unlocks the car by the buttons BUT it won't start the car due to the transponder not being in it I'm guessing.

How do I get the transponder out and have I got the right fob as it looks like it is for the tube type transponder rather than the rectangle shaped on??

41914B55-3C05-4933-8B18-E5C6ECA71E44_zps

29CE50E3-EFFF-4D65-965D-F40C34CA9E5E_zps

U can't swap that type only glass type just replace half ur key the button side an should work

+1

If the key parts are the same shape then put the new button half onto the original battery/transponder half.

You'd have though swapping them over would work but no!!

I have one fob that can unlock th doors but won't start the car. And one that won't unlock the car but will start the car!

I'm beat I really am! Surely it's not a trip to ford to get ripped off?? Its deffo remote related but no idea what

Must be a misalignment of the battery contacts between the two keys.

Compare the ones on the working fob with the non working one, maybe you can swap them around or modify?

Must be a misalignment of the battery contacts between the two keys.

Compare the ones on the working fob with the non working one, maybe you can swap them around or modify?

Right will give it a go

Just spent the last 45 minutes messing about with contacts and even foil and it's got me beat. Its definately the fob but I'm buggered if I can sort it.

Can you get the fob from ford? Or the transponder out?

If its any help It just died overnight and I did notice that you had to press the button for longer before it just died??

Deffo nothing wrong with the car itself as the other fob works fine jus the old one wont have it at all.

Ok just had a thought, what if I was to buy a transponder (glass type) for my new fob would I be able to programme it and actually have a working key fob??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club