Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What Next

artscot79

well guys its official a smoking ban in cars by 2015 in england and wales.........

whilst as i smoker i never smoke in the car anyway i still say i cant agree on this law and heres why

the government has no right to tell any individual what you can or cant do in youre own private place youre car is private now last i looked the government didnt pay my insurance servicing or road tax nor did they buy my car so what gives them the right to tell me what i can or cant do.....smokers with kids should use common sense and not do it anyway but thats there choice think about it will it stop there?

already the government has moved to try and stop modifications to cars hid lights are illegal and now on the mot to be checked for markings washers levellers etc youre exhaust must not be overly loud compared to standard you cant smoke in youre car where will the nanny state stop?

And how do these clowns hope to enforce a smoking ban in cars? As effectively as the law banning use of a hand-held mobile phone when driving?........That worked a treat eh? :rolleyes:

I speak as a non smoker BTW.

my mum has smoked in the car with me for all my life, 18 years later and no effects. also it doesnt bother me if people smoke in a car they have the window open 99.99% of the time so most if not all the smoke is gone straight out the window when there are doing 50 + the suction takes it out, all the smoking ads about this on tv is a car stopped with all the windows closed, i can agree then that some harm may be passed on to the occupants of the car, but not with windows open come on common sense, and too right your car is the same as your house, in america some one breaks into your house you are aloud to shot them down and same goes for car theft i beleive, they will tell us next no one can wear red underwear as thats labours colour and they only like blue or yellow!!! this country's goverment is ridiculous!! over paid people promisers that just want to shout in a room at each other, over what they will do better and how other parties did it wrong, they all never do anything any way, i bet they wont have cleared / upgraded or repaired the flooded communities protection against it happening again by 2020!!!

sorry rant over :rolleyes:

as far as I know its smoking in the car with young people in the vehicle at the same time, as opposed to an outright ban on smoking full stop?

I agree with it to be honest, however, enforcement is a different story.

As an on off smoker for the last 8 years of my life, if I wanted to smoke I would stand outside of the house and ensure my kids dont breathe it, and I would personally implement the same in the car. I just wouldnt smoke in the car full stop as I wouldnt want the kids to get into the car with the smoke and the rest in the fabrics etc.

However, if I was a single smoker and with no kids, I dont see why I couldnt smoke in my own car.

• Like 1

The ban is only for people who drive with children in their cars.

I don't have kids and don't have them in my car - EVER! - so am unaffected.

I'm sure this law will be as enforceable as the current ban on smoking in works vehicles.

Taxi and lorry drivers flout it all the time.

The government do my head in. I don't smoke (more on that later), but they keep making these stupid rules up about where you can or cannot smoke, like they give a stuff about our health. If they were THAT bothered, they would ban the manufacture, sale and use of tobacco products. But oh no, they won't do that because they're making too much profit from it. Their solution is to let people remain addicted to smoking, and continue to rake in the profits as they hike up the price to whatever they like. The cost to the NHS for cancer care as a result of smoking, is a drop in the ocean compared to how much money they make from it. Capitalism at its worst.

Now, if I were a smoker, and paying.... what, eight quid a pack? I'd damn well smoke them wherever I liked. Now, that's not to say I'd sit deliberately blowing it in the faces of non-smokers because that's just rude, but if people want to smoke in their cars, let them smoke in their cars. If they choose to smoke around their own children, that too is their choice - yes it's a breach of all common sense and I would frown upon anybody who did it, but since when was it a crime to be bereft of common sense?

Now, I don't smoke. I won't go anywhere near anybody that does, because not to put too fine a point on it - you stink. You have discoloured finger nails and teeth, smelly clothes and the breath of a stray hound that's been eating out of Aldi's bins and licking it's own backside. You may not notice it, but it's there. That's my beef with smokers - beyond that I don't care where they do it, as long as they aren't doing it near me or my kids.

I agree on your points concerning cancer and price etc.

Not so happy about the 'stink' part though.

Not all smokers 'stink' and many non smokers aren't too fragrant either.

• Like 1

Not so happy about the 'stink' part though.
I didn't expect that anybody would be, but the fact remains. And yes, it applies to all smokers - unless you wear magic clothes that don't hold the smell.

Personally I'd happily tolerate the occasional waft of BO over stale cigarette smoke.

i have to say thats a bit unfair i work closely with people all day and i smoke my breath doesnt stink breath mints sort that my clothes dont stink a spray of deoderant helps that out i dont have a yellow finger or nail on me nor is there any excuse to so not all smokers are the same in that respect so much so some people are surprised i smoke i dont have yellow teeth either thats the toothbrush and toothpaste effect i work with suits all day and trust me some of them do stink bad breath that could kill and b.o that makes you cringe and choke thats just tarring everyone with the same brush and offensive to many for example using the same theory the name big d suggests an over weight middle aged man whos great at picking others faults just cant see his own generally wishes he was younger and a boy racer drives a mondeo but wishes it was an aston martin im not saying thats you at all but its easy to tar everyone with a brush making assumptions that arent true

• Like 1

Cigs are the only legal drug they can some what control. ...if it saves one kids life ain't it worth it!!

• Like 1

Hilarious. Not all people who smoke stink. I used to smoke but was only a 5-10 a day person, never smelt as people used to comment that I didn't smell of smoke. I do find people who smoke roll ups smell of smoke more than say filter cigarettes (observation from work) but that may just be that they are heavier smokers. Also think smoking at home in your house has a big contribution, when I smoked I never smoked in the house, yet I only have to spend 15 mins in my in laws house (smokers) and come out stinking of !Removed!. Also if you have me a choice of !Removed! smell over BO I would take !Removed! any day!

Personally, I think it's a good law, and useless law at the same time.

It will make those who smoke in the car with their children think twice before lighting up and risking their health (or at least risking getting caught) - GOOD.

But for those inconsiderate people who would have smoked if it were NOT illegal, they probably smoke indoors at home next to their children anyway - USELESS.

Personally I don't really have a problem with smokers, it's just the annoying ones who smoke right outside building entrances/bus shelters, or those that smoke whilst walking in a busy town centre that tick me off. The thing I REALLY can't stand are people with awful B.O/bad breath at work, which I often have no choice but to put up with sometimes.

• Like 1

Personally, I think it's a good law, and useless law at the same time.

It will make those who smoke in the car with their children think twice before lighting up and risking their health (or at least risking getting caught) - GOOD.

But for those inconsiderate people who would have smoked if it were NOT illegal, they probably smoke indoors at home next to their children anyway - USELESS.

Personally I don't really have a problem with smokers, it's just the annoying ones who smoke right outside building entrances/bus shelters, or those that smoke whilst walking in a busy town centre that tick me off. The thing I REALLY can't stand are people with awful B.O/bad breath at work, which I often have no choice but to put up with sometimes.

I completely agree about the smoking in the house next to their child. I do think it's a good idea to ban it if there is kids in the car.

It's just plain selfish. It's the same as pregnant women smoking. (let's not get into that 1)

But seriously how do you think they will police this issue. They can't even police the current issue of smoking in a works vehicle.

I have got a 3 year old and I never smoke with him in the car. But if I was to no1 could tell he was in the car because I have tinted Windows.

It's a waste of time but a good idea at the same time.

Ford focus mk2.5 1.6 titanium.

• Like 2

I smoke (obvious from my comments) and definitely don't smell.

I smoked in front of work colleagues for years and hsve had no complaints as I do so with consideration of others.

A while back a colleague asked if I minded him smoking standing next to me in the carpark and when I said I'd have one with him he was amazed and stated that he thought I was a non-smoker.

I've worked with him for 7 years and he had never noticed I smoked.

• Like 2

I agree with this new law of no smoking in car while chirldren on board I have two children I stoped smoking about 1 year ago but I never smoked when my children in the car as is it a serious health risk due to size of there organs

I have never agreed with smoking in the car with children in I shake my head when I see it happing along the road

That's the thing though, another smoker may not smell it but a non smoker can no matter how many mints you chew or deodorant you spray they don't cover it just an extra scent

I smoke (obvious from my comments) and definitely don't smell.

I smoked in front of work colleagues for years and hsve had no complaints as I do so with consideration of others.

A while back a colleague asked if I minded him smoking standing next to me in the carpark and when I said I'd have one with him he was amazed and stated that he thought I was a non-smoker.

I've worked with him for 7 years and he had never noticed I smoked.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Well I was going to mention this the other day but was too angry and would not be able to stop ranting then, so I will keep this short

1) Ill start with if it was that bad for you every person born and brought up in the 50s,60s and 70s would be dead, there was a time it seamed like everyone smoked, the older ones will remember. I personally think additives in food and our lifestyles are more to blame.

2) I smoke and do in my car but not in my house, I cant put my hand on my heart and say I have never smoked in the car with a child on board but as a rule, I dont it would of been a one off thing.

3) My problem here is, when the hell are we the British public going to say enough of these eu lick arsed politicians and do-gooders and take this country back, if you dont want to smoke dont simple as that but dont tell me what to do, This country has gone to the dogs because of do-gooders interference, history has proved it, we now live in a world that is stuffed good and proper and cant help but think that the old fashioned beliefs were better for us and the communities we live in. then on top of that the politicians do what they bleeding want, WTF. Ill stop there as I feel a rant coming on.

These are my beliefs and wont sit with everyone but never the less its what I think and the last time I checked I still was allowed to express my opinion in the country. saying that I aint interested in politics or politicians so that change might of been missed, if so tough.

TBH getting into a debate about smoking versus non-smoking is not something I can get into without getting angry therefore I will have nothing further to say on this matter.

• Like 1

Every argument I see against this is that they should be able to do what they want in their space yet the child has no choice.

• Like 1

Every argument I see against this is that they should be able to do what they want in their space yet the child has no choice.

That couldnt be better said!

First thing people moan about is blah blah blah 'The Government' cant tell me what to do blah blah blah without looking at the real picture.

Had a long debate about in work the other day about benefits and bedroom tax and I turned to the other guys and said did any of you vote they both replied no? go figure?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club