Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grease On Ht Cables ?

soulman123

When I change my plugs and ht leads I noticed a grease residue on the coil.

Are you suppose to put a special grease on the metal contacts inside the ht lead boot ?

Thanks

as the ht leads are just passing voltage and current, then yh you could put copper slip on then to give a better connection and the interals with have another lay to stop any corrosion so i dont see it as a bag thing as long as the connections inside dont look rusty at all

There should be no grease on the contacts but there may be silicon grease on the rubber. Ford sell a tube of it for £20 if your interested! It helps to keep any moisture out

Hey up Stef :)

£20!!! no way that's crackers. I though it was some dielectric grease to help conductivity or something like that.

I have some servisol which is safe on use with rubber and high temp but I doubt I will bother adding any as there was still a bit on the outside of the coil where you slide it on.

Hey up Stef :)

£20!!! no way that's crackers. I though it was some dielectric grease to help conductivity or something like that.

I have some servisol which is safe on use with rubber and high temp but I doubt I will bother adding any as there was still a bit on the outside of the coil where you slide it on.

Yup £20! It's only silicone grease too!! I asked about it one day when I was in buying ht leads for a focus (£60 for them too!), the parts guys showed me the grease that the workshop used and then asked if I wanted to buy a tube...

At that price though it does make me wonder if it is indeed dielectric grease..

Dielectric grease would be good stuff to use providing it doesn't melt under the temperatures, but it is meant for things like that.

its dielectric grease youve found ford put it on to prevent arcing from the coils to leads and leads to plugs rough running can actually be sorted by applying the grease i use it and its fine doesnt burn away etc i got this from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Permatex-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease-81150-0-33-oz-Each-/281263906120?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item417ca29d48

you only ever apply coppa slip on the threads of the plugs not on the connectors

In
any assembly process: Copaslip reduces nut driving torque requirements
compared to oil or grease In addition to greatly increasing the ease of
dismantling. Use as a lubricant behind disc brake pads to reduce squeal,
on pivot points and adjusters; on manifold, muffler and pipe bolts and
connections; spark plug threads and cylinder head bolts

I was told the other day from a lubrication Rep that copper-slip is carcinogenic, dont know how true that is so since its being mentioned lets see and if it is maybe we should treat it with more respect.

its dielectric grease youve found ford put it on to prevent arcing from the coils to leads and leads to plugs rough running can actually be sorted by applying the grease i use it and its fine doesnt burn away etc i got this from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Permatex-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease-81150-0-33-oz-Each-/281263906120?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item417ca29d48

you only ever apply coppa slip on the threads of the plugs not on the connectors

In

any assembly process: Copaslip reduces nut driving torque requirements

compared to oil or grease In addition to greatly increasing the ease of

dismantling. Use as a lubricant behind disc brake pads to reduce squeal,

on pivot points and adjusters; on manifold, muffler and pipe bolts and

connections; spark plug threads and cylinder head bolts

Ah ha so do they apply a blob on the metal bits inside of both ends of the ht lead ?

Must be worth a shot to apply to avoid arching and damade to coil.

Ah ha so do they apply a blob on the metal bits inside of both ends of the ht lead ?

Must be worth a shot to apply to avoid arching and damade to coil.

Don't apply copper grease to any electrical parts.. It's not what it's intended for. You can use a small amount on the threads though to stop them seizing in the cylinder head.

Copper grease is really just an anti seize compound and not really a lubricant. It's not the best stuff in the world either but it is cheap and does a good job in most cases

always carry a tube of this in the van, dont just use it on fords either...not cheap, but it works and a tube goes a long way

I have a tube of servisol silicone grease which I think has the same properties as dielectric grease is that ok to use ?

Also do you apply it to the metal contacts at either end of the ht leads or do you put a smear on the inside of the rubber boot ?

I have a tube of servisol silicone grease which I think has the same properties as dielectric grease is that ok to use ?

Also do you apply it to the metal contacts at either end of the ht leads or do you put a smear on the inside of the rubber boot ?

cant help you with the alternative, only used the ford gear

normally just give a squirt up the boot of the ht lead, dont need to go mad, use it on the plug side too

a small squirt inside the boot either end does the trick i usually use a cotton bud so i get it right up on the contacts

dielectric grease is not conductive (its used to insulate) so why would you want to put it on the metal contacts? used inside the rubber boot to prevent moisture/arcing yes...

Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied. It is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector without arcing.

A common use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections
associated with gasoline engine spark plugs. The grease is applied to
the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto
the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the
rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming
stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are located in areas of high
temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature
range expected. It can be applied to the actual contact as well, because
the contact pressure is sufficient to penetrate the grease. Doing so on
such high pressure contact surfaces between different metals has the
advantage of sealing the contact area against electrolytes that might
cause rapid galvanic corrosion.

Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating
surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in
automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a
sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is
not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive
contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical
signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact
pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector
lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector
contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life. Polyphenyl Ether, rather than silicone grease, is the active ingredient in some such connector lubricants.

Silicone grease should not be applied to (or next to) any switch
contact that might experience arcing, as silicone can convert to
silicon-carbide under arcing conditions, and accumulation of the
silicon-carbide can cause the contacts to prematurely fail. (British
Telecom had this problem in the 1970s when silicone Symel® sleeving was
used in telephone exchanges. Vapour from the sleeving migrated to relay
contacts and the resultant silicon-carbide caused intermittent
connection.)