Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Fail

soulman123

If your front wipers don't return to the "home" position when you turn them off is that an MOT fail ?

Mines doing this in all speeds when using the wiper include the quick wiper, I have to time it right to get them where they should be.

That's a good question I should imagine if they interfere with your line of vision yes it would be a fail if they rest below the eye line I would say no .i would ring a garage at random and just ask the question before putting it in for the mot .not sure what the cure is new motor or wiper stalk maybe someone whose had this prob can help

doubt as long as they work and they clear the windscreen properly they should be fine

As far as I know there is no requirement for the wipers to park at the bottom of the screen.. Providing they clear the screen properly you should be fine.

I called my MOT garage chappy after he gloated about a few football results he said it would be a fail it stops in the line of view and recited some regulations which went wooosh over my head. But in a nut Shell if it clears the screen and rest out of a certain area its fine if not you fail.

I think this could be a relay problem. The owners manuals lists r18 and r19 as the said relays ones for the back and one for the front but which is which I don't know ?

As its a miracle its not raining I dropped the glove box to look for this relay and found it but the next problem I see is a metal cage around the fuse/relay board doesn't allow it to be removed. There are a few nuts holding this cage on but its welded on the left side so how do you get to this relay.

I guess I should just swap them first as the rear wiper is not as vital for me. That way I can figure out if it is the relay or could it be the stalk or wiper motor ?

I quick call to ford and they said the relay costs £25.86 so not cheap for this, so I'm hoping im changing the right part.

Definetly the relay as i had this problem on my Mk 1 focus .

When you flick the wiper stalk down you should get 1 swipe of the screen, it did this but never completely returned home ,was pulled up on the mot and changed by fords .

Sorry can`t say which relay it was .

if there is a fuse on one of the relays, then that is the rear one,....

autodata lists r19 as the front wiper relay...looking at the fuse box..on the right as you look at it, there is a vertical row of 4 relays, top is starter, next is a black relay (possibly with a fuse) which is rear wiper, below that is another black relay for front wiper

Looks like you undo the two hex screws and unclip the fuse board which then stops down. Also found from searching on here to swap the relays around as some have luck with that before buying a relay. So will try that and hope for the best.