Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 2.0 Tdci Starting Problems

owensy

nope. There is only a large plastic cover and I connected positve to positve and negative to negative direct from one battery terminal to the other.

Your worrying me now :wacko:

You don't do it like that.

Positive to positive first, then connect the negative of the good battery to somewhere metal on the dead car for a good earth. Nothing should be connected to the negative terminal of the dead battery.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• owensy

• Italiot

• BigD

• BOF

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure I think Ill have to wait for it to get light though! May not be until Saturday unless I get time in the morning

You don't do it like that.

Positive to positive first, then connect the negative of the good battery to somewhere metal on the dead car for a good earth. Nothing should be connected to the negative terminal of the dead battery.

To be fair the battery was not dead but I will bare this in mind. I hope this hasn't effected the electrics

OK I think it's the starter. Been out and it was still just clicking. Got someone to turn the key and there were sparks from where the but holds the cable onto the motor and it was sparking and smoking (although I had sprayed wd 40 on) and I hit it with a mallet and it turned over but very slowly but with more smoke coming off the connector.

That is a clarkson move at least you have found the problem

Ha ha yep "hammer" though reading it maybe the terminal is rusty? More work in between the showers I think!

And failed! The money was tight before but I guess I have to bite the bullet

Just an update. Went to the scrap yard bought a starter and fitted it myself this morning and all OK !!! I now have a starting mondeo ! Thanks for your help everyone

That's good at least it didn't cripple the wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Hello Owensy. I'm a newbie and have been reading about your starter dilemma. I'm not sure if you mentioned it but what engine is yours?? If it's the 2.0Ltr Diesel then it might be worth checking for Flywheel dust clogging up the Starter, which will eventually cause it to fail. Was the old one 'coked' up at all?? If this has been mentioned already then I apologize!! Hope this might help!!

Just when I thought everything was ok, it has broken down again! The starter turns slightly but then just spins! Had to get the AA out an he has said its the starter gone again!

I guess its what I get for putting a second hand one on from a scrappy!

I really thought it was the DMF that had gone!

I guess its what I get for putting a second hand one on from a scrappy!
I've had the same issue with rad fans from scrappies. The problem is that stuff is left outside exposed to all weathers where it's normally safe and dry in the engine bay with the bonnet down, instead of left up, or missing completely. Luckily, starter motors aren't massively expensive to buy new.

I really thought it was the DMF that had gone!

Are you sure that it isn't? If the DMF is shredding and losing particles, they could be jamming the pinion on the starter. I hope for your sake, or more exactly, your wallet's, it isn't, but it is a possibility.

In any case, as you've got a spare, you might want to enquire about the cost of getting one reconditioned, as that's often reasonable, they require an 'exchange' and you usually get some sort of guarantee.

I have a replacement starter (again) and I will see how the old one is when it comes out. I think that if it is the DMF, the whole car will be going to the place I got the starter from!

OK another replacement starter on. Started ok on 2 occasions but next time its done the old speedo needles going full clockwise. I feel I have gone as far as I can with this car. I'll see what happens over the next few days before I decide if I'll scrap the car!

OK another replacement starter on. Started ok on 2 occasions but next time its done the old speedo needles going full clockwise. I feel I have gone as far as I can with this car. I'll see what happens over the next few days before I decide if I'll scrap the car!

While I understand that, with the amount of hassle that you've had, you may be nearly there.

The 'speedo needles' thing is the appropriate module re-setting, and that's because the supplied battery voltage has dropped so low that it can't carry on. (And then, you stop using the starter, the voltage recovers, and everything goes back to normal.)

It isn't, of itself, a disastrous thing but is probably a sign of either poor battery condition or bad connections. If there is any sign of smoke from any of the connections (!) or heat, that would be a strong clue, obviously. If it battery condition, that will probably point itself out when it gets a bit worse, manifesting itself in poor starting. Or, no starting at all.

Poor connections can often be cured quite quickly with, eg, wet and dry paper and a little grease, so maybe you want to hope its that rather than the battery itself.

While I understand that, with the amount of hassle that you've had, you may be nearly there.

The 'speedo needles' thing is the appropriate module re-setting, and that's because the supplied battery voltage has dropped so low that it can't carry on. (And then, you stop using the starter, the voltage recovers, and everything goes back to normal.)

It isn't, of itself, a disastrous thing but is probably a sign of either poor battery condition or bad connections. If there is any sign of smoke from any of the connections (!) or heat, that would be a strong clue, obviously. If it battery condition, that will probably point itself out when it gets a bit worse, manifesting itself in poor starting. Or, no starting at all.

Poor connections can often be cured quite quickly with, eg, wet and dry paper and a little grease, so maybe you want to hope its that rather than the battery itself.

I have undone all the battery terminals and cleaned them and greased up so see how things go. I think the battery is the wrong type as it is taller and not as wide. I noticed in the scrap yard the 06 Mondeo had a nice Bosch battery that took the full width of the battery tray

I have undone all the battery terminals and cleaned them and greased up so see how things go. I think the battery is the wrong type as it is taller and not as wide. I noticed in the scrap yard the 06 Mondeo had a nice Bosch battery that took the full width of the battery tray

:blink:

If the battery is smaller than the battery tray, it's definitely not the right battery. You need a heavy duty calcium silver battery for your Mondeo - diesels take a LOT of power to start.

[edit] Hmm, seems I already mentioned that in this very thread two week ago: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/52707-mk3-20-tdci-starting-problems/#entry332026

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club