1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts

Mat Clayton

Ford Focus 1999 1.8 Mk1 Rattling Noise Coming From Underneath The Car When Going Over Bumps In The Road

6 posts in this topic

*SPELLING MISTAKE* - IT IS NOT 'MKQ' ITS 'MK1'Ok guys so its progressivley getting worse, if i turn sharpley or go over bumps or pot holes in the road my car makes a loud banging noise as if thye exhaust is hitting the underneath of the car when it gets bouncy. I have jacked the car up yesterday and shook my exhaust by hand, the box was hitting the frame of the car but im not 100% sure this is the problem because as far as i can see all of the rubber clips are still in place. I have also notice that alot of the screws/bolts holding the heat protectors to the car have also become rusted away so alot of it is loose - also making a banging noise. I tried metal tie clips trying to secure the exhaust but no luck.. looking for a cheap easy quick fix please guys.

Thanks, mat.

I expect the knocking on the car will be the issue.

Metal exhaust ties are a good way to hang it there, but you could benefit from using a bit of bent metal or similar as part of that tied to the exhaust to stop it bouncing up onto the frame.

I have also updated the spelling error in your title ;)

ive tried metal exhaust clips with no luck.. the annoying thing is my car seems to be really low to the ground and even when jacked up i struggle to get underneath. thansk for the correct ;)

Mat,

Are you sure the exhaust is the issue and not the suspension / springs?

ARB drop links? I'm sure they'd be screwed by now.