Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Window Question And Replacing Rivets?

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

So recently, my door handle died :( the rod snapped clean off and now I am looking to replace it.

So I removed the interior door panel got to the big lump of metal underneath and just as things seemed to be going well....

I removed the 10mm bolts, and have removed the door panel and the front window dropped a cm or two! D'oh! so I tried to work around this - no such luck!

So I resorted to trying to replace it, nope, that didnt have it! after much toing and froing and copious amounts of swearing in my head, I managed to get the top three bolts in and that seems to be holding the window...

Question 1 - these three bolts seem to hold the window fine, I think it should be safe to drive, as long as I dont go driving over potholes at 90, I shouldnt see a problem driving this temporarily?

Question 2 - If I just use Duct Tape and secure the window in the upright position before I next look to faff around, this should be fine as a counter proposal to removing the window should it?

finally - Question 3 - Rivet Removal!

The Haynes manual is very fond of drilling rivets out, but how expensive is it to replace these rivets?

Thanks in advance :)

Are they just pop rivets James? Drilling them is the best way. Pennies to replace them

not sure lol, I havent gotten as far as to actually look :D I just literally undid the nuts and hope for the best!

haha, I have never done a Ford one so I can't help with sizes and types of rivet..

You can get a small selection pack though which might be handy if its pop rivets - chances are it is. They may be the flanged type though so one to watch out for.

Cheers Stef, the idea looks to be difficult as I dont have a rivet gun and dont overly trust myself with it I guess!

so just looking at this again, I have put some duct tape on the window to see if I can get any more luck at lunchtime, but I am doubting it!

If I drill out the window regular rivets from the door panel, will this destabilize the window? or will it still hold the window up?

just called a garage for a quote to do the work, as I cant put the rivets back and as I dont really have the time (less than an hour a day to take it apart, try fix it and put it back together again...) so I will see what they say just to pop the rivets, replace the latch and then put it back in again.

Well, left it with an indie and they got the thing replaced. So now, I have to just replace the clips on the doorcard and plug that back in properly and jobs a good 'un. £56 lighter but not a bad investment! at least I can now open my own door!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club