35 replies to this topic

#16 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

It's an evo X. 61 plate fq-300 with an upgrade by Mitsubishi to 330.
We keep two cars and the bike. Between the 2 cars we do 10k miles per year, plus whatever I do on the bike at weekends. So it'll be the Mondeo and the Evo. Daily run around cars I suppose......

I've been following your thread on the dieseler FOCA, as you know. 7.1 is something else! Scared a few people away from the lights I bet!?

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

I try not to boot it in 1st, traction is a problem and i don't want to kill the transmission, i usually wait intill 2md or 3rd before "booting" it - the 7.1sec 0-60mph does not reflect the true performance, as the gearing is all wrong, (it won't do 60 in 2nd, so i have 2 gearchanges to 60) + the traction problems etc once its rolling, though, the pull uot of the bends and top gear rollons are much quicker than the 0-60mph suggests, with 368NM at 2-1/2 k and its lighter than your EVO, you can imagine what it is like, the top -gear roll ons are awesome, with the 50-70mph in top quicker than a ferrari, does not have the top end speed of your EVO, though of course (probably just as well- it would just get me into trouble)

A lot of people underestimate it because of the way it looks - its an estate, as well with steel wheels, -  It brightens up dull days, the grin just gets wider and wider - ive just got it running right again with the short pipe and have big modification plans for the summer - i cant wait                

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,690 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

I bought a whole car with 1.6 naturally aspirated 168bhp under the bonnet for the cost of the MP200 upgrade
Feelin so money supermarket rite now :lol:

#18 kristriple

kristriple

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Name: Kris
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2007

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

Did I read somewhere that you used to be a Ford engineer FOCA? Any idea what it's cost to get your mondeo to this level of performance? Have you done anything to the brakes and handling? What tyres do you run?
It sounds like your running something that could be/is a serious worry to most cars. Especially on twisty's!

#19 kristriple

kristriple

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

I bought a whole car with 1.6 naturally aspirated 168bhp under the bonnet for the cost of the MP200 upgrade
Feelin so money supermarket rite now :lol:

What do you drive lenny?

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,690 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

What do you drive lenny?

AE111 Toyota Levin BZR its basically a coupe version of a corolla with a 20 valve twincam vti engine

#21 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

Did I read somewhere that you used to be a Ford engineer FOCA? Any idea what it's cost to get your mondeo to this level of performance? Have you done anything to the brakes and handling? What tyres do you run?
It sounds like your running something that could be/is a serious worry to most cars. Especially on twisty's!

Yes- something like that - ive lost count about what was spent but ive had the car a long time and its given good service over the years + i usually wait untill something breaks or wears out before replacing the component with a stronger/ better/ faster / lighter one - the brakes are stock - but mk3s have discs all round, and the same ones for all models - including the 3.0Lv6 150mph ST220, and with the car being lightened so much - it makes a big difference under braking - Focus ST225 discs and calipers are bigger, and have been fitted to mk3 Mondeos, ive considered fitting them but i don't really drive that hard anymore and they would add weight - Mondeos handle pretty good, and again, with the lighter weight - the suspension is stock - ive got a big load of tyres im trying to wear out - its really nicely balanced and handles much better than it looks but it depends what you are used to

#22 kristriple

kristriple

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Is that the model that looks like a R32 Skyline Lenny? (if your at a distance and you squint a bit!?) 

#23 kristriple

kristriple

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Didn't know that FOCA... You'd think the higher spec models, especially the ST220, would have better brakes.

Is this the same with the mk4's?

your right about the handling. Mine handles surprisingly well. I remember reading in my manual that it has active suspension? PAS I think?

Is yours striped out? I must have missed that in your thread

#24 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,690 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Is that the model that looks like a R32 Skyline Lenny? (if your at a distance and you squint a bit!?) 

Suppose it does lol

cpwf24_zpslybd5zzf.jpg

Had my brother drive it yesterday
Hes got a 2ltr ST205 celica and he reckons the Levin is faster
Ive been out today doing some videos ill have them upload in the next few days :lol:

#25 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Didn't know that FOCA... You'd think the higher spec models, especially the ST220, would have better brakes.

Is this the same with the mk4's?

your right about the handling. Mine handles surprisingly well. I remember reading in my manual that it has active suspension? PAS I think?

Is yours striped out? I must have missed that in your thread

Yes - all the mk3 Mondeos have the same brakes (from the 90PS "euro" TDDI to the ST-220 ) including the rear disc brakes - i suppose if you were braking from 150mph you could probably use better brakes on the ST220 but at UK/legal speeds the brakes are not bad (with the lightened car, anyway) 

150+ kg removed/ or lighter parts fitted - so the car is about the weight of a Focus ST225, the weight is distributed to help handling (concentrated in the middle like a mid-engined car) and traction (some weIght not removed from the front to help FWD traction)

Im not 100% sure about the Mondeo mk4 brakes or if Focus ST225 brakes are bigger/ are a potential upgrade or if different models (eg 2.5T/ 2.2T-X) have bigger brakes

About your EVO - There was a big write-up about the fq360 being quicker "in real terms"/ better in-gear acceleration than the fq400 because of better midrange torque/  punch - bit of an eye-opener and just shows how important midrange/ torque is "in real life"       

#26 Foci_st3

Foci_st3

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Name: D
  • Ford Model: MK3 Focus Titanium x
  • Year: 2012

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

My 182 titx gets between 38-42mpg depending on the weather.

#27 kristriple

kristriple

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Let me know when you do Lenny. I'll like a look at how they perform!

Are they an import? You don't see much of them kickin about.

#28 kristriple

kristriple

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Quote button doesn't seem to work on my PC.....

I'll do a bit of digging on the mk4 brakes FOCA. My 2.5T definitely needs an upgrade. The brakes "fade" if im hard on them. Its always possible that someone put a cheap alternative on it at some point in its past.

Handy to know about the EVO. Mine is a 330. As far as im aware, the 360 doesn't come with the SST "flappy paddle" gearbox. I really wanted to try a car out that had it fitted, so I didn't even bother looking at the 360's. As far as im concerned, the 400 is not a car that anyone (other than millionaires!) can afford to drive. I remember one off the older models being tested on top gear. It was officially the worst car on fuel that they had ever used on the track. 4mpg I think... With the price they are to buy, in my opinion, they are a waste of time.

D has settled the argument on the MP200 then! NO WAY it would do 40mpg!

#29 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,690 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Let me know when you do Lenny. I'll like a look at how they perform!
Are they an import? You don't see much of them kickin about.

Heres some links,

There a Japanese production only
Heres mine with a cat-back 2.5" custom fit magnaflow exhaust

http://s575.photobuc...3yvkfz.mp4.html

http://s575.photobuc...jjnk54.mp4.html

http://s575.photobuc...aje8ga.mp4.html

#30 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Quote button doesn't seem to work on my PC.....

I'll do a bit of digging on the mk4 brakes FOCA. My 2.5T definitely needs an upgrade. The brakes "fade" if im hard on them. Its always possible that someone put a cheap alternative on it at some point in its past.

Handy to know about the EVO. Mine is a 330. As far as im aware, the 360 doesn't come with the SST "flappy paddle" gearbox. I really wanted to try a car out that had it fitted, so I didn't even bother looking at the 360's. As far as im concerned, the 400 is not a car that anyone (other than millionaires!) can afford to drive. I remember one off the older models being tested on top gear. It was officially the worst car on fuel that they had ever used on the track. 4mpg I think... With the price they are to buy, in my opinion, they are a waste of time.

D has settled the argument on the MP200 then! NO WAY it would do 40mpg!

I looked into the brakes thing - it looks like the mk4 front brakes are 300mm for all models, and 28mm thick, the mk3 has 300mm too, but slightly thinner at 24mm, but remember, the mk4 is heavier than a mk3 (and my mk3 is much lighter)

Some mk3 owners upgrade their brakes to ST 225 ones (front discs and calipers) the Focus ST225 discs are 320mm in diameter, and 25mm thick (the diameter is the important bit because it has a larger surface area, contact area on the pads, and a better leverage ) the ST225 calipers are better than the mk3 ones, too

Some owners have reported their brake pedal becomes "spongey" and has a longer travel after doing the conversion, (and insist the system is bled) it could be that is because the st225 calipers have larger slave cylinders/ with a larger volume

With the st225 discs/ calipers 16" wheels may not fit or be a tight fit (spacesaver or full size 16" spare) so a larger spare or a 5th wheel may have to be purchased (not a bad thing but adding to the (considerable) cost/ hassle) but if you want better brakes.....

Alternatively you can get upgraded discs/ pads (drilled/ slotted/ extra vents) ebc/ brembo etc that would fit straight on  

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1.6T, MP200, zetec s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users