Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator/battery Failure

lgb90

Hi guys,

My first proper post on here, shame it couldn't be a positive one lol. I bought this old fiesta last Saturday mainly to use for getting to and from work. Figured Ford reliability and running costs would suit me perfectly. Unfortunately, this morning on the way in to work, the battery light started flickering on, then stayed on. I was nearly at work so just managed to get to work.

Now im here, I cant start the old girl up. My best guess is that the alternator has packed in, since when you rev the engine, the light goes out. I havnt got a multimeter on me so i cant check the battery voltage unfortunately. Is there any other way of finding out what is causing the problem?

Also, I notices second hand alternators go for nice money on eBay. How much work is involved in changing it out yourself? Must be fairly straight forward no?

Any help is greatly appreciated :D :D

Sounds like the alternator. Changing them isn't that hard, but I'd rather get a 'reconditioned' one from a car auto electrician than trust a 2nd hand e bay item.

You could start the car up then disconnect the battery lead while it is running, if the car keeps going the alternator is ok, if the car stops it is donald ducked