Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Ajustment

kipper55

HI can anyone tell me if it is possable to ajust the clutch on a 1.4 petrol fusion it crunches when you put in revers and difficult to put in first.

They're both common concerns on the fiesta the gearbox is to blame and my fiesta that shares the same box is similar best fix for the reverse issue is to push the clutch to the floor push the stick into 3rd then straight through to reverse it slows the gearbox down, you may also find that the clutch bite sits higher up the pedal travel all of which are normal for Ford's hydraulic clutch system and gearboxes.

Sent from my LT30p using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I also started to experience similar problem. Gradually got worse. Replaced clutch master cylinder with no improvement, now no gear is possible to engage. Researched the problem and looks like clutch slave cylinder is the problem. Major DIY project, and very expensive garage repair due to labour time involved.

Could just be your linkage is a bit stiff. Can you engage gears when engine is off? If not, it could be the linkage just needing some cleaning and lubrication. Otherwise it could be the slave cylinder.

• Like 1

You will find that if it was a hydraulic problem that you will have slipping and clutch dragging so should be easily evident, high bite in the pedal is an overly common complaint in most Ford's so usually down to the design most clutch faults will make themselves know.

How would you describe the issue I am now having? Started with difficulty in engaging gears now and again. Very quickly became an issue with all gears. I am now unable to drive the vehicle. If I try to start the car with a gear engaged, the car will lurch forward. So clutch totally inoperative. I never experienced any clutch slip or drag.

I would describe that as an unfortunate situation, but as its a hydraulic system it would be very rare for it not to show some signs of failure such as a leak, soft pedal or hard pedal. You said it started out with it being hard to engage gears, if all gears then yes possible problem, 1st and reverse both share the same problem no synchro so the gears will very often not be spinning at the same rate as the rest of the box meaning a hard change, 1st gear on these boxes is for speeds lower than 10mph or less from a standstill the problem is the same as if you start the engine without engaging the clutch the engine will spin the box up.

Thanks for post. Before total failure absolutely no sign of any clutch problems and no hydraulic leaks. Problem developed over a few days until total failure. I had a new master cylinder so I fitted it (what a pig to fit) with no difference. Bled the system and no change. Looks like slave cylinder is possibly screwed.

Does pumping the pedal make a difference the slave will normally pump up enough pressure to allow a change.

Does pumping the pedal make a difference the slave will normally pump up enough pressure to allow a change.

Pumping the pedal makes no difference.