Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sudden increse in high revs?

The Gardener

Can any one help with this problem?

Driving home tonight in my mk 3 '1.8 Mondeo petrol' manual x reg, i had the fright of my life when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear, as the revs leapt up to 6000rpm even though my foot was off the accelerator pedal?

The high revs lasted for about 4 seconds.

It did this every time i changed gear but i was able to crawl home using small amounts of throttle.

I checked under the bonnet when i got home and revved the car up in neutral and it seemed fine?

It,s not the clutch as the car stalls when handbrake is on in 1st gear as i attempt to move.

Any help would be welcome.

Simon

check all the throtle linkage for anything sticking, could be an air leak on a vacume pipe or a faulty temp sensor giveing wrong signals to the ecu.

check all the throtle linkage for anything sticking, could be an air leak on a vacume pipe or a faulty temp sensor giveing wrong signals to the ecu.

Thanks for the reply!

Iv,e checked throttle linkage etc and all is ok.

Also when the revs suddenly shoot up i notice that the accelerator pedal becomes stiff, heavy?

Could the throttle cable be getting snagged, frayed?

One other syptom i didn,t mention was jerky acceleration and was told this was the coil pack, i,m fitting a new one tomorrow, could this be related to high revs i wonder?

Simon

Problem solved!

Sticking throttle cable.

Also changed coil pack and solved problem with jerky acceleration.

Cheers All!