Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Painting Callipers

jd_james

Going to attempt to do this after seeing some very smart red ones and would suite my car.

I've driven on them for 10,000 miles already and there must be build up of crap on there.

After buying the heat proof paint from halfrauds I also go a wire brush recon I should scrub them free of any rust and dust before applying?

Does anything else need applying before or after?

Thanks

James

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

I need to do mine also but don't have axle stands so wondered if two jacks would do the trick? Post any pictures and tips if you do it

I was going to use some white spirit and metal brush

• Like 1

instead of using a brush, buy a wheel for your drill, its lots lots easier/quicker and gets into crevices.....

Remove your discs before you paint too! Might be obvious but I know of someone who didn't lol

• Like 1

copper grease for re applying the pads etc....

I did my last car (a clio) without axel stands. Using 2 jacks and doing one side at a time. Seemed to work fine but make the process take longer as only one side could be done at a time.

Rhys Cooper

Remove your discs before you paint too! Might be obvious but I know of someone who didn't lol

How easy is it to take off and put back never done them before :ph34r:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Not done it on a fiesta before but can't be much different from my focus.... There should be 2 bolts to the rear of the caliper that hold it in place, usually have dust caps on, these will need to be removed first. This will release the caliper and also the brake pads. Put the pads to one side... a good tip is to secure the now released caliper with bungee cord so as to not put any stress on your brake line. On my focus the disc now comes free but it could be held into place with a screw or two or a central retaining nut. If so undo this and the disc should come free.

Good practice a will be to use some brake cleaner on the disc before refitting

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

I've seen am

Not done it on a fiesta before but can't be much different from my focus.... There should be 2 bolts to the rear of the caliper that hold it in place, usually have dust caps on, these will need to be removed first. This will release the caliper and also the brake pads. Put the pads to one side... a good tip is to secure the now released caliper with bungee cord so as to not put any stress on your brake line. On my focus the disc now comes free but it could be held into place with a screw or two or a central retaining nut. If so undo this and the disc should come free.

Good practice a will be to use some brake cleaner on the disc before refitting

Hope that helps!

Thanks for this might see if there are any youtube videos to assist.

I have seen many techniques used though - one didn't bother taking it off and just covered everything bar the calliper.

The other took it all down and cleaned it out too which was good because I have some squeaking, will need to get some of that oil though if I do this probably best..

When removing the calliper there is the brake line and some other cables sometimes arnt they clip off's so you can take the calliper away and go paint? Also the remaining bit left on the actual brake disk (not sure what its called) do you paint this also?

If you remove the calipers completely you're likely to need to bleed the system as there is a real risk of air getting in there. I suppose it can be done without removing the disc but you will certainly need to remove the brake pads themselves. As for the squeak, given the age of your car its probably just dirt but you'll know straight away if anything needs replacing. Use brake cleaner to remove any dirt from the disc. It comes in aerosol and should only cost a couple of quid

If you remove the calipers completely you're likely to need to bleed the system as there is a real risk of air getting in there. I suppose it can be done without removing the disc but you will certainly need to remove the brake pads themselves. As for the squeak, given the age of your car its probably just dirt but you'll know straight away if anything needs replacing. Use brake cleaner to remove any dirt from the disc. It comes in aerosol and should only cost a couple of quid

Bluddy hell I don't want to remove them now can't be doing with the bleeding wouldn't have the faintest. However I presume if I don't take off any pipes I shouldn't have to bleed? So I might just pop it on a ledge of some sort next to the disk.

Otherwise Ill have to take off the wheel and see if its easy to paint it with it on. <_<

And I mean This: http://173.254.78.22/~europar2/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/brake_pads_rotor.jpg Ref: The mount.

Do you need to remove the mount to paint as well or is it best leaving this on?

Nah if you don't undo any pipes you won't have to bleed them. That pic didn't come up but if its the caliper mount you're on about its up to you really, most people tend to paint them but it's down to preference

From memory the mounting is part of the wheel hub so you'd have to undo suspension parts so I'd leave them on, just make sure you put a bit of grease on the inside where it makes contact with the pads :)

I think this all depends on how good a job you want. My son and his mates used to paint them whist on the car, Saxo's so enough said, but they looked OK as long as you didn't look too closely. Would it be easier to just buy some coloured callipers and get them fitted?

IMHO you dont need to take off discs and calipers as long as you take your time

just a good clean and make sure they are bone dry before painting(used a hairdryer) dont tell the mrs

mask up areas you dont want paint on i did a wheel at a time and got a good result

post-35185-0-13128500-1393322121_thumb.jpost-35185-0-72538600-1393322220_thumb.j

• Like 1

IMHO you dont need to take off discs and calipers as long as you take your time

just a good clean and make sure they are bone dry before painting(used a hairdryer) dont tell the mrs

mask up areas you dont want paint on i did a wheel at a time and got a good result

attachicon.gifphoto (5).JPGattachicon.gifimage (2).jpeg

Is that the actual disc you painted there?