Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6Tdci - Steering Assist Failure/electrical Problem

runnerguy

I was after a bit of help with some problems I've been having with my '06 Ford Focus 1.6TDCi hatchback (mileage - 102K).

I was driving around yesterday and suddenly:

1.) battery warning light came on

2.) "Steering assist failure" was displayed on the trip computer panel

3.) The ABS warning light came on

4.) All electrics on the dashboard went dead - engine was still running, and then they came back on - lasted around 2-3 seconds.

5.) When stopped I tested all the lights and all worked (brakes, indicators, sidelights, main beam) apart from the normal (dipped) headlights.

I was in a bit of a bind as I had to get the car back from London (around 120miles!) today so I drove it. It started fine, but:

1.) battery warning light stayed illuminated

2.) (As above 2-4) happened 2 or 3 times in the first 15 minutes of the journey, then nothing else.

Towards the end of the trip some more things started happening:

1.) High pitch whining sound which seemed to be related to the throttle.

2.) Couple of clucks which preceeded (1).

3.) Seemed to be an intermittent loss of power.

I really didn't want to drive it home but I was in a real problem situation with other people relying on me and having a responsibility to meet! It was a massively stressful couple of hours for sure!

I also recently had a fault whereby a "whooshing" noise was audible as the turbo boost kicked in, I had one of the small rubber hoses replaced and this seemed to do the trick. There was, however, quite a lot of oil noticeable around the engine bay which seemed a bit concerning.

I've had a good look on the forums and there seems to be a few others who have had similar problems - they seem to come into the category of:

1.) Alternator/battery/smart charge/PCM

2.) Power steering pump/rack/wiring

3.) Intercooler pipes failure (although I did replace this and it seemed to address the issue).

I'm going to try and get it into a garage (not sure whether to go to Ford or an independent just yet!) tomorrow, but forearmed is forewarned and all that - I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Cheers.

i think youve pretty much diagnosed it to what the suspects may be, battery / alternator or intercooler hose as you mentioned. a faulty alternator will throw all sorts of random codes as i recall having when mine was faulty

get the battery and alternator tested by a garage and report back

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club