Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What Car Next?

merchantofdoom

Hi.

I currently have a focus zetec climate mk 2, I love my car but as I now have a 3rd child due I'm looking for a large family car.

I've narrowed it down to a Mondeo or Octavia. Can anyone offer advice on for's and againsts on either vehicle.

Thanks

If u have a 3rd child on the way. You could look towards the ford smax or galaxy. So you still have room when kids in the car.

Nathan, I agree look towards to s max. That way u have the extra seat if need be, long journey not all 3 children squashed together. Plenty of space

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I could recommend the newer CMAX (go for a grand with 7 seats) but the SMAX is a very nice motor.

The mondeo is very good too, but to be honest if you have the option of the extra seats go for it, otherwise you could be squashing three kids into a small space and speaking from experience, its bad enough wrestling two of them :p

The only issue with 7 seater is the tiny boot if you have the rear seats up.

My other kids are 9 and 7 so don't really have to wrestle with them.

Yes I hear what your saying but at least you have the option of the additional seats, when the seats are down it's big enough?

And why would you want a Skoda?

I narrowed it down down to the octavia and mondeo as they are both hatchbacks and both have big boots. The Mazda's are extortionate insurance and most other large cars are saloon cars.

When the seats are down it's big enough

How big is the boot in 5 seat mode? Also what are they like in running costs etc. My focus petrol is thirsty so would want a diesel preferably.

Sorry was only joking. I have had 3 Mondeo's of various marks and the are big cars, only 2 kids myself but the boot is huge even with the seats up. Once drove my ST220 with all four of us and luggage for a week to Eindhoven with no problem with space, just bought some DVD screens for the kids in the back to keep them entertained.

How big is the boot in 5 seat mode? Also what are they like in running costs etc. My focus petrol is thirsty so would want a diesel preferably.

Tax is not the cheapest as your paying a premium based on seven seats, based on 2010 2.0 Zetec is around £96.00 for six months and £175.00 for the year.

Mpg will vary depending in your driving styles, I guess a look on the smax section of the forum will give you this information, and a brief understanding of common faults and good areas.

I can't give you the boot space in litres but I guess the internet can? Remember though with the S-Max you have the hight where as in a salon you don't.

I hope you find the right car for your family, keep us updated on what you end up with mate!

Sorry was only joking. I have had 3 Mondeo's of various marks and the are big cars, only 2 kids myself but the boot is huge even with the seats up.

I'm sorry if you thought I was being funny Philf1, that wasn't my intention.

I looked at all the family sized cars and ruled most out due to only coming as a saloon (Audi A4, Honda Accord, Volkswagen Passant etc.) I used to have a Mazda 6 and my insurance was ridiculously expensive and having read reviews on the Vauxhall Insignia I also ruled that out.

I had looked at the s-max and c-max before but never really went any further than that.

What I'm looking at from the car is purely functionality and reasonable running costs (I get stung on insurance as I drive for a living).

For £10 -12K to spend your'd get a newer Mondeo than S-Max for your money, but the S-max as more seats /room than the Mondeo which is enormous in it's own right but both drive and handle brilliantly, ( better than any Skoda ).

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

You have definately done your research, in which case, I would say go with the mondeo. I would say if you get either a choice of zetec with less miles but newer, or a little difference in age, but more miles on a titanium, go with the titanium. You may sacrafice a few miles, but if you go with a diesel, get yourself the titanium for the toys, and I would suggest the 2.0 diesel as its pulling power is like a train and the engine is very robust.

Just out of interest what's the difference between the zetec, titanium and titanium X.

Also which power output is the better one out of the 140 and the 163?

Hi Nathan,

Its basically the level of toys. Zetec is the mid range, so you might get the likes of cruise control, Titanium is the one with all the toys (so the likes of heated seats etc) and the Titanium X is the sporty equivalent.

To be honest, the 163 will give you more power, but you may not necessarily notice it when comparing them.

The 140 diesel great and the 163bhp diesel unbelievably good fun, frugal !, If you can get the Titanium X is has the lot and the leather/saude seats are great !, if I did the mileage mine wound be the 163 diesel .

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks for all the replies, I value everyone's advice and opinions.

I'm going to look for a Mondeo as soon as the baby is born.

Between the Mondeo mk4 TDCI 2.0L 140PS and 163PS the 140 has more torque/ picks up better at lower revs, i would not describe the 163 as "gutless" but it needs to be kept above 2k to shift, along with the relatively high gearing, it means a bit more change downs than the 140PS - so dont assume the 163 is better than the 140 just because the number is bigger

The 140 and 163 are identical apart from the maps, so if you intend to do a remap you may as well start with the 140, especially if it is cheaper than the 163

Bluefin140PS graph (also showing "stock" power/ torque ) -

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/FordTDCI140.pdf

Bluefin 163PS graph - note less power/ torque under 2k than on the 140PS -

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/2.0%20TDCI%20163PS.pdf

Of course, don't eliminate the (Mondeo mk4) 2.2L TDCI, the 2.2 titanium X is a lot of car for the money with good pace and decent MPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club