Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Weird Locking Issue

Optikal

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Focus ownership having bought my first one, a 1.6 MK1 yesterday. However, there is a problem with the door locking.

I only have one key and the car locks and unlocks with the remote fob EXCEPT for the drivers door which stays locked.

Neither the passenger door nor the drivers will unlock with a turn of the key. However, both WILL lock.

To open the drivers door, I have to get into the car. If I push the LOCK button, the door handle will still not open from the outside. I have to literally open the door from the inside. Having opened it in this manner, the handle will work as normal from the outside.

Any ideas on what I can do to rectify this as it is a bit of a headache having to climb into my car from the back haha :D

Locking is a common problem with the mk1, usually caused by moisture in the mechanisms I believe. Try a good spray of WD40, if not a replacement locking mech may be needed

A quick update, having stripped the door back I first noticed that the plug for the the door loom was not connected correctly. Reconnected it and now have central locking all around.

HOWEVER...

Even though the central locking AND key both lock the drivers door, they won't re-open it. The LOCK button remains depressed. When the LOCK button is pushed into an unlocked position it still doesn't open until you give it an extra little bit of pressure. I then hear something 'click' and the door will open.

So i know that the part is broken / malfunctioning is the mechanism that would pull / push the lock back into the unlock position but I'm not sure how to proceed fixing it or how to remove the mechanisms from inside of the door. Any ideas chaps?

Ah, thought it may have been that.... the lock button shouldn't be particularly difficult to remove, just a case of removing the door card to get at it properly so just a few screws and tacks etc

I presume that the same motor that locks the door controls the button so maybe its that which has died?

Going to take the door card off again in a minute or two. Though this morning I had to go out to fix the electric windows as they weren't working at all. Whilst doing this I noticed that now the locking issue seems to have changed.

Previously, the drivers LOCK button would not open but by pulling the interior handle, the door would unlock/open. Now this is not the case. NOW the door will only open and release the LOCK button by turning the key on the drivers door, then climbing through the passenger side to release the door handle.This is the same issue whether locked / unlocked by either key or fob in any combination. All other doors work fine.

!Removed! hell.....definitely something going on there like a wet or dry joint. Just a case of finding the offending item!

That's the bit I'm stressed about. I'm assuming there is a motor or something that controls the unlock function separate from the lock function (which works fine via all methods) seeing as the LOCK button works fine locking but not unlocking. I'm not sure where to start... With a replacement interior handle, a latch cable or the white unit near the mechanism (that the two rods are attached to)? Or even how to disconnect any of those parts for removal/replacement!

I'd see if all the levers are free and easily moved, might just be a ceased joint so a bit of wd40 should help. If not, operate the locking with the door card off to see if you can see or hear anything.... you should hear something going on when locking and unlocking

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club