Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill Assist

matt1981

Have those of you with this feature turned it off or left it on?

I'd imagine after years of driving it could feel quite strange.

I have it on my Focus , and left it switched on , it is usefull but some times it caan be a pain waiting for it to release if you just want to roll back a bit.

So it doesn't hold you back from a decent 'take off' then?

I've left mine on simply as a backup in case I ever slip up somehow, not that I ever have. Imagine how annoying it would be if you disable it, make a mistake and roll back into something! It is a bit annoying at times though, if you're pulling away slowly on a slight incline you can feel it holding you back when, if it was disabled, you would actually be moving forwards already. It lets go as soon as there's sufficient power though, so you don't notice it too much when pulling away quicker. You still notice the clonk/grinding noise from attempting to drive away with the brakes on though :D.

I think its great, At work we have a barrier to go through which is on a hill. You have to stop, open window, hold pac key against a pad, wait for barrier to lift and then drive through. Before it was hand brake on and then normal hill start or balance on the clutch. Now its just foot on brake, lift off, sit there and drive away.

Still got mine on at the moment. As said before does hold you back slightly but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Turn it off and use your handbrake :P

No i like it. One thing i dont like is the day running lights, I mean why do you need your lights on during a bright sunny day. Its looks as bad as those muppets who drive around with their fogs on all the time.

The ldea behind drls ls that it highlights the vehicle so it can be seen more easily volvo have been doing it for years

The ldea behind drls ls that it highlights the vehicle so it can be seen more easily volvo have been doing it for years

I get the idea, just think on a sunny bright day there just stupid, although alot of new cars i see have them. Need to be smarter maybe, so they only come on when its a bit cloudy etc.

Funny how we have our car lights on during the day, & our street lights off at night.

DRL's on new cars is an EU directive.

Basically a nanny state at play again.

A lot of prople that drove Volvo's used to pull the fuse.

Is there a light or some sort of indicator the let me know if the Hill Start Assist is currently active (I don't mean generally active, I mean actually engaged right now)? I was going to try it out, but I'd be risking having an accident on the assumption that it's actually holding the brake. If I assumed that and took my foot off the brake to take my time with a hill start and it wasn't active, I'd roll into the car behind. I almost never use the hand brake on a hill (I hold it on the clutch), so if I'm going to risk my car I want to be sure it's currently holding the brake on.

As for the lights being on all the time. I hate it. I asked the man at the Ford garage if I can switch it off and he said no. I was thinking of removing a fuse. It's my car. I decide when I put my lights on thank you very much! I don't want to look like an idiot driving a white car in bright sunshine with bright lights on. It's like those people who put fog lights on when it's raining and visibility is about 300 metres. :blink:

Personally I think hill assist and all these fancy supposed driver aids are getting to be a joke.

They just make drivers lazy and try to pass the resonsibility onto a computer, that way, if one day the system doesnt work they can blame the car for letting them roll into the vehicle behind instead of admitting they are crap drivers and have no clutch control.

It would be the equivalent of someone saying, "you didnt have drl's on so I didnt see you coming". The fact that they were the only moving vehicle on the road and it was broad daylight was irrelevent :lol:

Its not as if we arent taught this when we learn to drive. Past of the driving test is a hill start.

If people can't do clutch control and hill starts, get an automatic :whistling:

Paul, from what I've read there is an A with a circle/arrow around it that displays when the hill assist is active on your dash

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

Matt, AFAIK that's only for the Stop/Start. I asked about the S/S on another thread, and I managed to use it three times today, after it not activating the previous attempts. The A came on each time, and the button to switch it off also has the A on it. I'm not sure it it comes on with the Hill Start, but I'll have a go when no-one's behind me and see if it lights up. I suppose it could be used for more than one function.

Paul, from what I've read there is an A with a circle/arrow around it that displays when the hill assist is active on your dash

No it not used for the hill start just the stop start. It would make sense like

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Yes you're right, that light is just for stop start, sorry got mixed up

It seems a bit strange that something obvious and safe like the engine going off when you stop has a light, but a potential "rolling into someone" accident doesn't. Oh well, I'll just try it when I can and see if I like it. After a day of using the Stop/Start on long waits I'm liking that.

Just try it on any hill, you don't need to risk it by waiting till you have a car behind you. Basically stop on the hill, press foot brake, clutch in of course, then foot off brake and clutch still fully depressed. Your car should hold itself for a short time whilst you engage clutch and off you go. As mentioned before there is a sensation of driving off with brake on, bit like when you have washed the car and not moved it for a bit and the brakes bind a little.

I've been driving 37 years and never needed it but its a nice little extra to be honest. If I wanted to be making a quick start I'd turn it off however.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club