Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Steps

Mark.McC

After lots if fights with the dealer and waiting around, I will get my now Panther Black Zetec this Saturday as the new plates go out.

I was looking for a bit of advice and a few tips from the vast wealth of fiesta owners here on what I should do first.

I'm a bit at a lost from all I have read. I've heard of claying, being a bit rough on the car to seal a few seals and such, but have no clue. This is the first new car I will have and want to do everything right by it.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Yeah I read somewhere some people beleive to be a little rough on the engine at first because it seals somethings up and can improve fuel economy.

Car is ready to go! It got delivered today! I work not to far from the car garage and during a break the transporter passed the window with my car on top!

So far have got alloy gators to put on the car on saturday at parents garage and having it clayed and cleaned on the sunday. Can't wait :)

Sealing the rings is I think what you mean, it's not really about being rough with the engine, just using full throttle and the higher revs (up to say 5500rpm, though I took mine to the redline at least every trip) when the engine is warm.

It's thought that one of the best ways to seal the piston rings is to use 3rd gear on the motorway, accelerate to 5500 ish rpm using full throttle, then take your foot off the throttle keeping in 3rd gear and decelerate to 50mph using just the engine braking and repeat...where safe to do so obviously. This creates the right temperatures, friction and pressures to seal the rings. Have a Google!

It is here!!! Washed and polished, to be clayed during the week. Know my parking is bad, I was being a little too cautious at first.

post-50655-13937720342_thumb.jpg

post-50655-139377207052_thumb.jpg

Really nice, hope you enjoy it

Just drive the car and enjoy it, The only thing really not to do is redline it before its warmed up. As for Claying, I've never ever done that. I just wash regulaly with autoglym shalpoo and wax when needed, again with autoglym. It all depends if you want your car looking spotless i suppose, this time of year as soon as you drive of it gets dirty. Spending hours detailing cars never seemed worth it to me, but plenty do. :)

You shouldn't have to clay a new car, as it's used to remove contaminants that have adhered to the paint work over time.

As for 'sealing the rings' I've never heard of that, & most modern engines don't require 'running in' anyway.