Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Dash Cam - Have You Got One?

Byr0n

Hi,

Just wondered how many people on here have a dash camera? They seem to be getting more popular nowadays due to insurance scams. I’m currently looking around for a mid-range one, not to cheap and not over the top, just something that will last and provides HD quality video.

I was thinking the G1W or G1WH, see here for review and video quality - http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

Like most gadgets there are a lot of fakes out there (eBay/Amazon) that do not have the real CPU/chips inside therefore performing less but that website links to genuine sellers.

Can anyone provide feedback for this particular camera or recommend another type?

• Like 1

Here is a couple of the dash cam review threads :)

Kurt's - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/52271-my-new-mobius-dashcam/

James' - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/50774-gs8000l-dashcam-review/

They both seem pleased with theirs.

• Like 1

Hi Byron,

Yeah I have one as the review shows, and I love it!

The only thing that irritates me at the moment, is that I have it secured to the area around the interior mirror, so the suction cup doesnt work, I have to use velcro which holds much better but still comes down, so I probably need a more heavy duty form, all in all though, a fantastic piece of kit, and I have to say I hate the idea of not having a screen on it. The Mobius looks good, but IMHO, a screen is essential (for myself anyway!) as then if I ever end up at the roadside with an officer, I can at least show them the events there and then, rather than dragging it out over however many hours or days.

It's not really an issue with the Mobius but you do need and android phone with usb otg support, then you can plug it in and view or copy over videos to your phone - works perfectly, but saying that you do need an android phone/tablet with otg support, so its not as simple as having one with a screen

• Like 1

Thanks for replies. I'm definitely going to get one with screen as I do not have laptop or android products to check the camera angle.

I'm going to go for the G1W, seems to have the best review for all round

• Like 1

I'm finally 100% decided on the dash cam to get, im going for the G1W

Details here - http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12/16/g1w-the-cheapest-dash-cam-thats-worth-buying.html

It also comes up as best all round camera here - http://dashcamtalk.com/

It was the lack of screen that took me away from the mobius, i know it has good reviews but i couldnt justfiy the extra spend when setting up seems harder, plus i do not have the facilities to alter settings

Going to purchase from here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310752336819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is the official camera, others on eBay are fakes

• Like 1

I retract the above statement, I'm getting a Mobius :)

• Like 1

i got an dash cam app on my i phone works amazingly well i have a phone charger and screen mount anyway so all good

• Like 1

i got an dash cam app on my i phone works amazingly well i have a phone charger and screen mount anyway so all good

Which app?

• Like 1

Took me the longest of time to decide on what dashcam to get, over a year. I understand how hard it is. Have you actually ordered anything yet?

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Took me the longest of time to decide on what dashcam to get, over a year. I understand how hard it is. Have you actually ordered anything yet?

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Yes I ordered the Mobius earlier today, if I leave it longer I will keep pondering so just bit the bullet.

I've actually ordered the Mobius for my car as I do more miles then my wife. I do around 12k a year, she only does 4k.

I may still get the G1W for her car, but won't rush into that yet, I want to get used to the Mobius and see how good it actually is.

Android, you have some good ones, such as autoguard, or autoboy...

Android, you have some good ones, such as autoguard, or autoboy...

I'm trying autoguard at the moment, not decided what I think yet.

As a freebee its pretty good I thought! but my camera was poor quality so it was never really any use!

I've no problem with the quality of video (my Sony has a 5mp camera) its just it keeps telling me I've had a crash every 800 yards.

Remove the gifts sensor option :-)

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Bleeding auto correct i meant to say g sensor, if you disable or increase the threshold then this should stop it thinking crash bang every two minutes

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• 1 month later...
I do think that a real dash camera (black box thing) is better than smart phone, if you want to use it all the time. I now had my dash camera from www.szswill.com that let me feel at ease, I also had tried some apps similar, but stopped after realizing that the phone was getting dangerously hot. It may have been the app, but I'd rather not risk it.