Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Boot Open Warning Coming On

Taff999555

Hi. I have a 2008 fiesta and recently when driving the boot open warning and associated tone will come on. It's really annoying and intermittent. Anyone have any experience with this or can point me in the right direction of places to look? Many thanks.

Is the boot actually releasing or is it a false alarm ? I had probs with it releasing on mine and the switch was replaced. Quite common on earlier Mk7s and Focuses.

• Like 1

No the boot isn't releasing whilst I'm driving. It's definitely closed and it's just a spurious intermittent warning. Is there a micro switch which I can adjust or do you think it's a wiring fault?

Don't know enough to give an accurate answer. I'd be inclined to blame the switch unit, but I cannot be certain.

• Like 1

i have this same problem, and also when parked its setting off my car alarm. did you manage to fit your problem after? i was thinking of getting my swapped out but didnt know where the switch was to check it

• 1 month later...

hi, i went out and bought a new boot clasp, think it was something like 50 quid, not had any issues since. the interior plastic was a right pain and ive actually still left mine off to ensure that the issues were fully resolved, and they are.

the only thing i would say is that i used brute force to pull off my panel and its got them funny metal (A shaped?) clips inside, and half of them are damaged and i dont know what they are called to replace them as i dont want the panel to become flappy and fall off either. it would be really helpful if someone could reply with what these are called and where is best to get replacement ones from

The clips will cost a few pence from Ford direct. They are always in stock and always best to get the right ones not some generic clip off eBay.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having this exact issue. I had it last year for 1 day (it was a really hot day) and the boot warning was on and off whilst driving, it set the alarm off when the car was locked etc. Then it completely went away and I forgot all about it until last week when we had that one nice hot day, it started again and has been happening ever since.

Does anyone have a step by step guide on how replace the boot switch? My dads quite handy, but would like to be able to pint him in the right direction. Also did you get the switch from ford or online somewhere?

Many thanks,

James

is the tailgate opening by its self or just warning on?  if warning only and tail gate shut, switch operating tail gate ok then latch more likely the issue.

if tailgate is opening by its self or switch not opening tail gate then switch likley issue.

• Like 1

james, did you manage to fix the tailgate issue? if you did what was it in the end?

• 2 weeks later...

Far too many sensors and interlocks these days, I'm surprised they ever start. Madness.

• Like 1

The latch is the mechanism in the tailgate that you can see. Re read my previous post and you should be able to guess whether switch or latch required

• 1 year later...

Picked my car up yesterday after having the wheel locking nuts removed and on the way home I had the boot open warning start intermittently. Woke this morning and it had triggered the alarm in the night. It had never done it in the 3 months I had owned it until the garage had it, but can't see how removing wheel nuts could effect the boot.... very annoying. 

• 1 month later...

Hi i am having the exact same issue.

I have an 09 plate fiesta zetec.

Funny how it was mentioned on a hot dsy it happened as recently we have had the hottest weather on record and it happend then to me. Was getting really peed off as my alarm was going off at silly oclock in thr morning and couldn't sleep. I washed my car on the day it startes so thought maybe water got inside the boot on the wires?

So I recently took my panels of my boot to look for anything obvious? Nothing. I disconnected all wires in boot and sprayed with wd40. I then repositioned latch as i seen something about this somewhere and it seemed to have done thr trick for a week.

Last few days randomly it happened again saying boot open when it was actually closed. Slowly got more frequent and now back to square1. Its not water as it hasnt rained for about 3 weeks here.

I am currently closing my mirrors to make it look locked and leaving it unlocked ao i can get some sleep. Not ideal but its just a quick fix.

I have turned my lights off to prevent battery from draining but lights under the footwell still stay lit.

I have disconnected the wire in the boot to the switch in the hope it will let me lock wthout the alarm going off but no luck.

Im guessing there something wrong with the whole locking mecanism thats connectes to the boot button?

Has anybody got any ideas or which could help me?

Thanks in advance

My car has just started having this same issue today. The warning light is coming on when I start the car up and making the audible noise however the boot is firmly shut. Are you suggesting that it's the mechanical latch that is faulting? Mechanical rather than an electrical fault?

I'm worried if it carrys on that it may not allow me to lock the car if it thinks the boot is open. 

Thanks in advance 🙂

On 5/15/2016 at 12:56 PM, iantt said:

is the tailgate opening by its self or just warning on?  if warning only and tail gate shut, switch operating tail gate ok then latch more likely the issue.

if tailgate is opening by its self or switch not opening tail gate then switch likley issue.

If the boot is shut them the microswitch in the latch is faulty. Not a separate part. New latch assembly required

• 9 months later...

Thee problem is the the tailgate lock switch. £77 from ford £26 on amazon. Remove the cover on the inside of the boot. 3 screws. Unbolt the switch (2 nuts) remove the connector. Reverse these instructions. Job done 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this page so I can ask the garage to sort tomorrow - car sitting outside unlocked as the alarm keeps going off. Sure it’s the same issue as the ‘boot open’ message triggered last weekend, coincidentally hottest day of the year?!

anyway, I can’t find any suitable answer - how do I fold in the wing mirrors without locking the doors? 

• 10 months later...

Hi

I have a 2009 Fiesta, where the boot keeps popping open when i'm driving.....sometimes I have to shut the boot 4 or 5 times and then once in the car quickly press the door lock button on the dash to stop it reopening.

I have bought a new boot lock, a new boot release button (up by the rear number plate lights) and even changed the battery in the key fob.

Is there any other suggestions as to where the fault might lay 

Cheers

Simon 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/24/2020 at 6:12 PM, smon p said:

I have a 2009 Fiesta, where the boot keeps popping open when i'm driving.....sometimes I have to shut the boot 4 or 5 times and then once in the car quickly press the door lock button on the dash to stop it reopening.

Just made a similar enquiry, but then found this thread!

This was happening to me but now has stopped, but now the boot remains locked even after opening the doors, though using the key fob to unlock the boot, it unlocks, yet if I close the boot, its locked again, so have to use the key fob again......Fed up with it all.

Hello, just few days ago had the same problem when driving with the warning light on dash of boot open but boot was close. Also my trunk light was flickering. Checked the cables behind the boot interior plastic, then disassembled the boot switch, nothing suspicious there, so i went on disassembling the lock where the problem was. Inside the lock there are two spots covered with glue, one in upper side hiding a micro switch and one in lower side hiding the three cables going to the four pins. So i resoldered new wires to the micro switch also on the other side going to the pins, placed new hot glue and the problem disappeared. Although there was glue from the factory, the cable connections bellow glue were disoldered, maybe from the vibrations of the trunk when closing all these years. Washed the car with pressure water especially in the hole of windscreen wiper, messed around a little more with the cables and the boot switch, no problem. No warning dash light, the trunk interior light no flicker and the lock works fine and from the key fob. 

Hello, just few days ago had the same problem when driving with the warning light on dash of boot open but boot was close. Also my trunk light was flickering. Checked the cables behind the boot interior plastic, then disassembled the boot switch, nothing suspicious there, so i went on disassembling the lock where the problem was. Inside the lock there are two spots covered with glue, one in upper side hiding a micro switch and one in lower side hiding the three cables going to the four pins. So i resoldered new wires to the micro switch also on the other side going to the pins, placed new hot glue and the problem disappeared. Although there was glue from the factory, the cable connections bellow glue were disoldered, maybe from the vibrations of the trunk when closing all these years. Washed the car with pressure water especially in the hole of windscreen wiper, messed around a little more with the cables and the boot switch, no problem. No warning dash light, the trunk interior light no flicker and the lock works fine and from the key fob.

I'm having the same problem my boot is locked and I even press the door lock button on the inside of the car but the warning sound and lights are still coming on its only just started but it's draining my battery over night 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club