As the title says, I'd like some advice and insight into whether I've gone and bought a dud. Last week I picked up a 2008 Focus 1.8tdci 5dr Titanium. My dad test drove the week before and said it felt ok and looked in very good condition so I said go for it. The car has 54k miles and FSH.
Although this is my first diesel I do believe it has a few problems and after 600miles this week I can report the following:
- When clutch depressed in gear there is noticable vibration - DMF?
- Squealing on start up for a few seconds - Belt?
- Similar squealing noise when any amount of gas is applied but no noise when off throttle.
- Pain to drive smoothly in traffic, ie. 1st gear is short and jerky, 2nd is useless near 10mph and it feels like it's about to judder and stall just below.
- Odd noise from right rear door when locking the car.
- Engine and gearbox feel similar to the work Transits I've driven! - Tad agricultural.
The car still pulls strongly and doesn't seem down on power or unwilling, I am getting 60+ mpg on the motorway easily according to the comp and it's actually a lovely car to cruise in and comfortable especially compared to my old mk7 fiesta zs.
I really hope I haven't managed to pick up a bad one but I've read that these cars can be prone to problems, I'm having it checked over and given a full service tomorrow morning by my local garage and the dealer said we had 3 months warranty on it but I've never had experience in chasing these things up and the dealer is 100+ miles away!
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I am not mechanically minded unfortunately and I do 400+ miles a week so any problem would need sorting asap.
Many Thanks in Advance.