Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical Short Or Just Alternator?

sgstanding

Hey Guys,

Racking the brains of the experts. Driving a 2003 1.8 TDDi Focus and always had the common instrument cluster problem where the dials drop off intermintently, and warning lights come on for no reason, in wet weather but never an issue always comes back.

The other day car failed to start but managed to bump it. Then after driving for 15-20 min (battery light came on, then abs light, and handbrake) parked up and again it failed to start couldn't even bump it, by pushing or towing. Meanwhile the dashboard electrics were going a bit crazy warning lights flashing on and off. When turning to ignition, a relay under the bonnet was going skitz clicking away. Got the jump leads out and after 5-10 car started perfectly fine and drove as normal until 5min down the road where it died, headlights and dashboard lights went dim. Switched my hazards on and all of a sudden my interior light was going off with my hazard lights! So sadly towed it home.

Now tried testing with a voltmeter and it seems that the alternator isn't charging the battery, but the indicator light on the battery isn't showing green, when I charged it full over night (less than a year old so still under warranty). So it would seem that my alternator has gone but to me that doesn't explain the rest of the elctrics going crazy.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance

if your battery voltage is low (ie..not getting charged)then it will give all sorts of weird and wonderful issues with electrics.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club