karlos1987

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,017 posts
  • Name: karl
  • Ford Model: focus mk2.5 titanium 1.6
  • Year: 2008

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Can anyone shed some light on a rear brake disc conversion.

I currently have drums on the rear.

Is it worth converting?

If so what parts would I need?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

In my opinion upgrading the rear drum brakes to disc brakes is definetely worth it. On my car the breaking performance has increased noticably after upgrading to rear disc brakes. During braking at high speed the car is much more stable now. An additional advantage is the parking brake which is more powerful which is useful on steep hills. 

To do the disc brake conversion you will need the following parts:

1x Left brake caliper complete.
1x Right brake caliper complete.
1x Brake pad kit.
2x Brake disc. For the 1.4 and 1.6 Duratec you will need 260 mm discs.
2x Brake caliper bracket.
2x Brake lines (hoses) for disc brakes.
1x Parking brake cable kit.
2x Guiding pin kit. This kits contains guiding pins and rubbers.
2x protection plate.
1 Liter of braking fluid.
Some bolts.

In some countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and the UK the 1.4 and 1.6 Hatchback versions of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 are equipped with rear drum brakes. In other countries like Germany all Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions are equipped with rear disc brakes as standard. This means the conversion can be done easily using Original parts.

The braking system of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 is developed and produced by ATE (a company owned by Continental). Most of the needed parts are available from ATE as aftermarket replacement parts. These parts are identical to the OEM Ford parts and much less expensive.

Most of the parts I used where brand new. I only used new Original (ATE) parts and Brembo Brake discs and pads. Because new rear brake calipers and brackets were very expensive I decided to buy 2 rear brake calipers including the brake caliper brackets from a German scrapyard. After I sandblasted and rebuilded the brake calipers completely they where as good as new for a fraction of the price. The complete conversion costed me approximately €300,-. It took me about 3/4 of a day to do the conversion.

I wrote an English guide about converting the rear drum brakes to disc brakes. My guide can be downloaded from the following link:

http://rapidshare.co...D555C19D14A5342

#3 ConradBuff

ConradBuff

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2010

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi guys,

New to the forum. Have just picked up a 2010 1.6 TDCi but it has drum brakes at the rear so interedted in upgrading with this conversion. Im going to try and source the main components second hand, do you know if there is a difference between the Mk2 & Mk2.5 parts? I have seen a few complete rear axles for sale that look perfect but are from circa 2006 so unsure whether they will be the parts I need?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

#4 karlos1987

karlos1987

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,017 posts
  • Name: karl
  • Ford Model: focus mk2.5 titanium 1.6
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

I do believe they are the same. I'm sure it was just the cosmetics of the car they changed.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

#5 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

Hi guys,

New to the forum. Have just picked up a 2010 1.6 TDCi but it has drum brakes at the rear so interedted in upgrading with this conversion. Im going to try and source the main components second hand, do you know if there is a difference between the Mk2 & Mk2.5 parts? I have seen a few complete rear axles for sale that look perfect but are from circa 2006 so unsure whether they will be the parts I need?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Most rear disc brake parts of the Focus MK2 and MK2.5 are identical. Only the parking brake cables may be different between some modelyears. Usually this can be solved with minor modifications.

note that there are different brake disc sizes between the different engine types. Your car should have 278 mm brake discs at the front. Cars with 278 mm front brake discs should have drum brakes or 265 mm discs at the rear. If you want to buy a complete rear axle you have to find one with 265 mm discs.

#6 ConradBuff

ConradBuff

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2010

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Most rear disc brake parts of the Focus MK2 and MK2.5 are identical. Only the parking brake cables may be different between some modelyears. Usually this can be solved with minor modifications.

note that there are different brake disc sizes between the different engine types. Your car should have 278 mm brake discs at the front. Cars with 278 mm front brake discs should have drum brakes or 265 mm discs at the rear. If you want to buy a complete rear axle you have to find one with 265 mm discs.

Thanks! PM Sent.

Rob

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users