Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2010 Mk2 1.6Tdci Non-Starter

markjw

Hi All,

I own a 2010 Focus 1.6 TDCI that unfortunately has decided to die on me - went out yesterday morning, car started fine and ran for about 5 seconds before cutting out. Attempting to re-start, the engine turns over OK but will not run.

Had it towed to a garage and they are saying the following:

1. No fuel is being delivered by the low pressure pump in the fuel tank.

2. The high pressure fuel pump (injection pump?) is not running

3. Low compression on the cylinders.

Is it possible debris either in the fuel (tank was filled Wednesday night and only driven about 7 miles since) or from the pump has got into the engine and caused damage?

Any help, thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Hi All,

I own a 2010 Focus 1.6 TDCI that unfortunately has decided to die on me - went out yesterday morning, car started fine and ran for about 5 seconds before cutting out. Attempting to re-start, the engine turns over OK but will not run.

Had it towed to a garage and they are saying the following:

1. No fuel is being delivered by the low pressure pump in the fuel tank.

2. The high pressure fuel pump (injection pump?) is not running

3. Low compression on the cylinders.

Is it possible debris either in the fuel (tank was filled Wednesday night and only driven about 7 miles since) or from the pump has got into the engine and caused damage?

Any help, thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Are they saying it's all 3 of them things or a possibility that it could be one of those 3? I don't know if the fuel pump in the tank runs when the ignition is switched on, but you could get someone to open the filler cap and listen to see if the pump starts.

Are they saying it's all 3 of them things or a possibility that it could be one of those 3? I don't know if the fuel pump in the tank runs when the ignition is switched on, but you could get someone to open the filler cap and listen to see if the pump starts.

all three - there is no sound of the tank pump running when the ignition is switched on and that the high pressure pump is getting no signal to run

Doing some searching I finding some people are saying there is no pump in the tank and others saying there is (integral with the sender unit) - anyone know which is true?

edit: guessing the 5 sec run was the fuel in the lines / injectors being used up?

Were there any fault codes in the system that you know of?

I'm not technician but I would imagine that if the high pressure pump isn't getting a signal to start, then it's a possibility that the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor isn't producing a signal for the PCM. The low compression is interesting though, did they say how much pressure was being produced in each cylinder?

EDIT: After thinking about it my theory might be utter tripe.

I used the display on the dash in TEST mode before they towed the car - only DTC codes were D900 and 9318 - suspect these are to do with us running the battery flat while trying to find the problem and the remote key battery being low (we tried the spare key and it has it's original 2010 battery - warning came up on the dash for it needing replacing)

Don't know what errors they managed to retrieve when they got the car to their workshop. Will ask on Monday.

For one there is no pump in tank ur imv valve on back of pump sucks fuel from tank but it has be primed first can't suck fuel all way from tank

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

just been given some interesting information by a neighbour - he had a 1.6 Tdci CMax and had the same problem with exactly the same symptoms.

Where we live the parking in front of the garages is a slope from the road down to the garage - he found that if the parked his CMax with the rear towards the garage then it failed to start in the morning. Parking with the bonnet towards the garage, it would start no problem. Issue turned out to be a faulty seal and air was getting into the fuel system overnight causing fuel to drain back into the tank.

Normally I park with the bonnet towards the garage, but as I was planning to load some bits and pieces into the car Friday morning I had parked it with the boot towards the garage.

Going to see the garage where the car is and get them to check for leaks in the fuel lines.

UPDATE:

Car is running again - there was a faulty seal in the fuel system allowing air into the fuel lines. When the car was parked facing uphill, this allowed air into the fuel line and gravity caused the diesel to flow back to the tank.

• 8 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club