Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob- Unlock Car Doesn't Work- Put New Battery In And Doesn't Remotely Unlock Car

Kte84

Hi,

I' ve just purchased a Ford Focus Style 1.4 2006 plate. The car has 3 keys- 1 being central unlocking system remote.

The car didn't unlock using the remote key so i put a new battery in the key fob- and its still not unlocking/locking the car. I have to use the key manually to unlock.

Can anyone give me some advice? The engine starts etc and unlocks manually, i just cant unlock/lock car remotely

Do i need a code to make this work again? Will the key be faulty? is there anywhere i can take it to be looked at?

Thanks

You check the fuse, as that's a commong issue when central locking suddenly stops working. Did you test the central locking worked before the car, to help identify whether its an existing problem or one thats just developed?

The dealer said it was working, he then put a new battery in the key fob and now it doesn't unlock- only with keys. How do i check the fuse? Do i take it to a garage? Thanks

Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

Remove the ignition key.

The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED on the dash stays on continuously to indicate this.

During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons.

The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.

Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

• Like 1

Thank you! I have done this but i get a loud warning sound after done the key turns 4 times and the red warning light flashes on off

Check that the battery contacts in the key are not bent and that the battery is in the right way round.

It should be positive side up.

• Like 1

Thank you, the battery was wrong way up- so put it to +. Tried again and i'm only getting one bleep sound- still not working. Will try an electrician at weekend :( Thanks for your help with this!

The Studio model didn't have remote locking as standard.

The Studio model didn't have remote locking as standard.

OP said they have the Style model

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks for this. If the style focus didn't have remote central locking as standard then why is the main key a remote central locking key? The key on the fob does work and unlocks the central locking system, it just doesn't unlock remotely. If this is the case then I've been misled and sold a car with no remote central locking. Thanks

OP said they have the Style model

I can read, honestly. :blink:

My car wouldn't open one day when went to it. I changed battery wasn't that, typical. I took to a security locksmith place. I only had one key so had to purchase one from them and they had to re program both keys hey presto sorted. If you have 2 keys they will just reprogram the keys for about 40.00. Apparently, if you have your keys near a mobile sometimes the frequency can make it go out of sync. Hope that helps. Karen

I believe if the new battery hasn't been put in within a certain time it can lose its programming (if the battery has been flat for a while)

Hey there - I have exactly the same issue with my Focus LX (2006). Did you get any further with yours ?

• 11 months later...

Thanks Stoney871 aka Clive. I did exactly as you suggested, my lights didn't come on, but when I pressed the remote it worked again.

• Like 1

I think the trick is to start the procedure with the key at II so that the system recognises a registered key before you start the turns.

A lot of people that start at 0 have mixed results.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem after leaving my car in an airport car park. Maybe the key fob was next to a mobile for a week? Anyway, used the turn off and on technique four times, starting with ignition and it worked. Brilliant! Great advice! Thanks!

You may find that not using the car for a week puts it into a deep sleep to conserve battery power so therefore the key doesn't instantly read.

• 9 months later...

Hey, try this... open it up to where you change your batteryjust check that the batterys terminals are contacting, iv just fixed mine. I noticed there was only the negative touching so made a new contacter out of a piece of tin foil and hey presto ....it works again. I had to reprogram it because the cars battery was flat when i bought the car.

I was told the focus studio model had remote control on it this was from ford, when I got my car it came with a aftermarket remote which works sometimes, thought I would get a ford remote for it, went to a good locksmith he cut and coded the key did the 4 turns but nothing the key unlocks the doors by inserting the key and starts the car but cant use the remote part, been told its a problem with the car computer which will cost hundreds to do, ford wants to charge me 65plus just to look at it has anyone got the same or similar problem the focus is a 05 model

I had same problem on an 05 focus I put key in the ignition turned it to number 1 so the lights where on the panel the turned the key 3 times between number 1 and 2 until you hear a beep sound press any button on the fob remote done

• 3 weeks later...

It may be the remote itself, do you have any other remote keys?

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I will definitely going to take my fob to a local locksmith for replacement.