Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Spectreman

Rear Light Problem

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a 2003 ford focus diesel. It is a 3 door model.

I have a strange rear light issue. Last night when i was driving other cars were flashing their lights at me. When I stopped, I checked and had no rear lights and no number plate lights. However the brake lights do work. I checked some fuses.. which were all ok... I BANGED the lights... and opened and closed the boot lid. No effect!
I continued my (Short!) journey with my foot slightly on the brake.
When I got home, I checked again, and now the rear light on the right hand side was working... but not the left and not the number plate lights.
This morning before my drive to work I checked again... and this time no lights were working again.
I would appreciate any assistance on this strange issue.

Paul

Sounds like a bad earth, remove the lights and check for condensation within, also check the wiring and the appropriate earth points.

Thanks for the reply.

I removed the lights, and actually one of the lights came on as soon as I touched the bulb.

I cleaned the bulb holders and the bulb contacts themselves and both back lights are now on! Good news!

However I can't get the number plate lights to work.. either of them. Could I have blown a fuse? I checked all the ones that seemed to show a light symbol... and none were blown.

All the lights were working a week ago when I had it MOTd....

I dont believe that they have their own fuse, is there any sign of moisture, rust or bad connection on the holders at the number plate?