Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Court Summons

mactell

I would say congratulations, in a way its a good result, and could have been a lot worse - so in that respect congratulations! although I would say I commiserate your insurance premiums! did you pull out all the stops with the apology then? and how did you get off so "lightly" (I say lightly as I was fearing you might endup with several months and a bigger fine!)

Did you get 6 points as well, or just the ban?

• Like 2

You'll do much better by being in front of the judge, I letter just a letter cold and hasn't got the personal touch that you could bring to the table and you'll even know the outcome faster too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

I would say congratulations, in a way its a good result, and could have been a lot worse - so in that respect congratulations! although I would say I commiserate your insurance premiums! did you pull out all the stops with the apology then? and how did you get off so "lightly" (I say lightly as I was fearing you might endup with several months and a bigger fine!)

Did you get 6 points as well, or just the ban?

Yes, I just simply said I was sorry and provided a letter from my Employer saying I need my car for work (which i do anyway) it was simply the ban no points..

well you did the right thing at the end of the day, it cost you a lot less than a letter would have done!

Hopefully the next 42 days will fly by!

As for the workplace, hopefully the boss hasnt taken it too bad? I knew a guy who got done as he hit 12 points, he got the hard nosed judge on the day, who wanted to make an example of him, she was in a foul mood but he somehow won her over, ended up not too disimilar to you! she asked him how many days holiday did he have at work, he told her that he had 4 weeks worth and had 2 weeks in lieu, so she told him that she suggests he takes them now to reduce the impact. ended up with a 3 month ban, and he managed to work around the issue of travel through work by teaming up on jobs!

Yeah only around 25 left i think so not even that bad. But I have learnt my lesson.

thats the main thing mate - you know to take it slow and steady going forward!

Good result I say, indeed it could have been far worse.

Well done dude

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Same thing happened to me. I got away with It and haven't made same mistake again. Basically mum n grandad n brother all used to borrow my car so I wrote bk saying I dnt remember who was driving the car on that particular date and time gave my family's details. Court wrote to them so they wrote back saying roughly same as me and the court couldn't give just one of us points and they cud nt accuse just one of us either so they squashed the ticket. Lucky

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

^ A good way out of them is to have someone insured on the car but lives at a different address, you simply just dispute who was driving for 6 months back and forth and they run out of time.

Oddly though, saying you need the car for work implies you want the points and not the ban right?

I got done 4 years ago, taken to court and I wrote them saying can I have the ban and I don't want the points etc, so what did I get....... 6 points and £415 fine!!!

Seems the way to go is to ask for what you don't want to get, SPD's are much better than points as they don't count as a conviction ( not registered with DVLA etc )

Same thing happened to me. I got away with It and haven't made same mistake again. Basically mum n grandad n brother all used to borrow my car so I wrote bk saying I dnt remember who was driving the car on that particular date and time gave my family's details. Court wrote to them so they wrote back saying roughly same as me and the court couldn't give just one of us points and they cud nt accuse just one of us either so they squashed the ticket. Lucky

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

You also sound very lucky buddy.

^ A good way out of them is to have someone insured on the car but lives at a different address, you simply just dispute who was driving for 6 months back and forth and they run out of time.

Oddly though, saying you need the car for work implies you want the points and not the ban right?

I got done 4 years ago, taken to court and I wrote them saying can I have the ban and I don't want the points etc, so what did I get....... 6 points and £415 fine!!!

Seems the way to go is to ask for what you don't want to get, SPD's are much better than points as they don't count as a conviction ( not registered with DVLA etc )

I have only been driving less than 2 years. So If I got points it would be 6 points which means I would have lost my license for around 1 year. So I tried to ask them sort of to give me the temporary ban.

I have only been driving less than 2 years. So If I got points it would be 6 points which means I would have lost my license for around 1 year. So I tried to ask them sort of to give me the temporary ban.

I got 6 in the 2 year period, was passed and back on the road in 6 weeks. (About £1k lighter off though!)

In the case of a dispute over who was driving at the time of the infringement standard procedure is to address it to the registered keeper.

It would be the keepers responsibility to prove they were not the driver at the time rather than the court to prove they were.

The only real way to get off is not to have the car registered to anybody which again is an offence.

The problem with the Gatso system is it only captures images from behind so therefore does not capture faces too, Specs, Truvelo, Pips and mobile cameras do though so no wiggle room there.

^ it does work apparantly, I got the advice from my companies legal team as it's what they do, only works for rear facing cameras though as they cannot prove.

Essentially all that happens is they ask you to confirm who the driver is, you say it's X person, post takes a week or so, they write to the other person, they have X days to reply and say no it was you and the cycle repeats itself.

It's a self defeating admin task for the police, due to postage, time constraints they just run out of time as they have to prosecute someone within 6 months and they just cannot issue a summons to the driver in this case.

But it does work it's a relatively well known thing to do, just more expensive as you have to insure someone at a different address on it. so unless you are a serial speeder it's probably cheaper to take the 3 points and pay the £120 fine or take the course, 2 people at two addresses is quite dear to insure when I looked.

^ it does work apparantly, I got the advice from my companies legal team as it's what they do, only works for rear facing cameras though as they cannot prove.

Essentially all that happens is they ask you to confirm who the driver is, you say it's X person, post takes a week or so, they write to the other person, they have X days to reply and say no it was you and the cycle repeats itself.

It's a self defeating admin task for the police, due to postage, time constraints they just run out of time as they have to prosecute someone within 6 months and they just cannot issue a summons to the driver in this case.

But it does work it's a relatively well known thing to do, just more expensive as you have to insure someone at a different address on it. so unless you are a serial speeder it's probably cheaper to take the 3 points and pay the £120 fine or take the course, 2 people at two addresses is quite dear to insure when I looked.

Ah that wouldn't have worked for me then as they was standing in the road with a speed gun lol flagging me down:(

That advice is crap mate.

It doesn't work.

I'm in the trade and I know. Postage? Lol. Time constraints are NOT a problem. It's very easy admin. And 6 months? Yes, for summary offences your right, but it's easy to extend.

And if it goes round in circles back to a same person, then the consideration for bringing a case of attempting to pervert the course of justice can and would be considered.

Yeah you can check sites like Pepipoo etc but they only have very, very limited good info. Most of the info is either out of date, plain wrong, or even dangerous.

Ah that wouldn't have worked for me then as they was standing in the road with a speed gun lol flagging me down:(

Thats what I had, just walked out in the road and said we clocked you doing 51 in a 30!! I still debate that as I tried to replicate it and couldn't get up to 50 as it was a very sharp bend in a Citroen Xsara HDi 90!!

That advice is crap mate.

It doesn't work.

I'm in the trade and I know. Postage? Lol. Time constraints are NOT a problem. It's very easy admin. And 6 months? Yes, for summary offences your right, but it's easy to extend.

And if it goes round in circles back to a same person, then the consideration for bringing a case of attempting to pervert the course of justice can and would be considered.

Yeah you can check sites like Pepipoo etc but they only have very, very limited good info. Most of the info is either out of date, plain wrong, or even dangerous.

Well it's just advice I was given dude, we're all adults on here and I hope no one takes anything as gospel and makes their own judgement / responsibilities, When you say in the trade do you mean Police? I've been done once and don't plan on it again, not buy dodging just not driving like a !Removed! in restricted areas and keep it to slip road blasts etc.

Lesson learned the hard / usual way.

I know mate, but it's amazing that a legal team would even suggest it. The amount of paperwork the Fuzz do, the single letter every 28 days isn't a problem, it's generic anyway.

You will also find that most Forces traffic criminal justice units take over the letters and admin/prosecution anyway, and they will usually be relentless with letters.

I've personally seen, several times, people get so far in the brown stuff for trying to lie or play the system. Just not worth it there's far too much to lose.

We all go above the speed limits, and we all know the consequences...

All they ever do in that trade is give poor advice, that way people get into more hot water which requires more in depth and paid for assistance ( probably the real reason why you get free legal aid and 30 mins free advice etc )

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club