Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Remote Locking / Elmconfig

crossbox

Hi there,

I've been trawling the web for about 2 months for a solution to the problem with my Focus (2005/06 LX Estate). When I purchased the car 2nd hand about a year ago the remote locking worked fine. After about 3 months it just stopped. Central locking works fine via the key. I eventually got round to buying a new batter for the remote but this didn't fix the problem. Did loads of searching and reading and i've tried:

• checking the fuses - seem fine
  • putting the car in learning mode and reprogramming - car goes into learning mode, I hear an acknowledgement beep when I press the remote keys, car still doesn't open

I've taken the car to Ford who want to charge me £100 just to diagnose the problem. I've taken to an auto-locksmith who tried everything I did and shrugged and told me to take it back to Ford / Electrician. The next cheapest option is to try ELMConfig route and see if there's an option to turn remote locking back on. I'm actually at the stage where I have it installed and the ELM327 cable has arrived. Before I take out the soldering iron and throw away a weekend I was hoping someone here could offer some advice.

• has anyone tried this with ELMConfig ?
  • I've looked through most/all of the ELMConfig options and can't seem to find this option anywhere - anyone who's modded have any advice?
  • should I just fork out the £100-£1000 the Ford dealer will inevitably charge me for using IDS for 2 minutes to turn remote locking back on ??

There are many things you can do with ElmConfig and trust me, its worth its weight in gold! for the £15 for the parts and a few hours of time (or buy one off DezWez) and they are worth it, alternatively, it sounds to me like your remote locking module is the issue.

hi matey this sounds like the same problem i have i did ask some time back i put it down to water ingress

i had the key fobs checked and like you a ford dealer looked at it to no avail you open the door with the key the alarm starts to prime until you turn the key i think its water because mine fixed its self last summer but its gone again this winter or a loose wire the central locking modular is hidden some where do 's anyone now were i want to start there

@jeebowhite - thanks for the input, I'm happy to take the time to set up ELMConfig - I'd just like to know if it's actually going to solve my problem. As far as I can make out the remote locking module is part of the GEM unit ? The receiver seems fine because the remote/fob is being acknowledge when I push any of the buttons in learning mode. Every post that I've read or person I've spoken to seems to think that it's either the GEM module, wiring, or that remote locking has been disabled and needs to be set by IDS. I was hoping ELMConfig could do the enabling because IDS seems to be Ford Dealers excuse to bend you over for very little effort on their part

definately worth the investment, even if you dont get this issue solved.

the best thing to do is disconnect the battery, then disconnect all wiring harnesses from the glovebox fusebox, then reconnect all of them.

Argh - that fuse box is a nightmare to access and refit - will definitely give that a go though - thanks for the help !!!!

You could also try unplugging the Feed plug for the GEM , under the bonnet behind the battery , maybe damp has got in there and taking it out and back in might help.

Just remember to disconnect the battery first.

I applied a bead of sealant arond the join on the box that holds the gem to ensure water didnt get into that area as most fords dont have an engine undertray it can easily get wet i fitted the undertray but sealed it anyway and a mates who had remote issues like youres after a time it worked on its own and stayed working