Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Bearings

bracken

now i have found out where noise is from on my focus ( rear bearing ) is it easier to change hub rather than just bearing , hubs cheap enough on e bay and euro parts , thanks

i would of thought go with the hub, but that is my opinion and when one of mine needs changing this is what il do....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-ABS-SENSOR-2004-on-BRAND-NEW-/171252805669?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27df767025

Is it discs or drums?

I think with discs you can only change the hub anyway

Yer easy enough to change put plenty of plus gas or wd on the bolts that hold it on .

• Like 1

do i have to remove rear brakes to get bearing hub off

do i have to remove rear brakes to get bearing hub off

yes the disc is fitted directly onto it

Hub for both drum or disk either way the hub rusts on and can be a sod to get off

Hub for both drum or disk either way the hub rusts on and can be a sod to get off

The hub rusts on to what? I have yet to change a bearing on any car that the hub has seized onto anything

• Like 1

wd and a load of heat i think on my list ,

mine was rusted to the drums backing plate the guy had to remove the whole lot to get it off so unplug abs unplug handbrake and remove the whole back plate to the drum then knock the hub through it was badly rusted on and the guy said every one hes done with drums is the same i was standing with him as he done it so i know hes not fibbing no need for wd40 or heat just a knock with a hammer does the job since the hubs caput anyway

The hub rusts on to what? I have yet to change a bearing on any car that the hub has seized onto anything

i had a job doing my misses dads 206, drums on rear.. tried for ages with the pig of a nut. heat, power bar, with tubing on it for more leaverage. once i got it off eventually the drum was siezed on, but turned freely constantly (even with handbrake on). so i went work and got a 5tonne press, hooked it on the drum with 5 legs all pulling equally, i gave up once it bent the centre shaft... he took it garage, he said they litterally had to smash it off and replace the full assembally

mine was rusted to the drums backing plate the guy had to remove the whole lot to get it off so unplug abs unplug handbrake and remove the whole back plate to the drum then knock the hub through it was badly rusted on and the guy said every one hes done with drums is the same i was standing with him as he done it so i know hes not fibbing no need for wd40 or heat just a knock with a hammer does the job since the hubs caput anyway

The hub sticking to the back plate after the bolts removed is quite normal though, it's not really a big task to scud them with a hammer to knock them off.

i had a job doing my misses dads 206, drums on rear.. tried for ages with the pig of a nut. heat, power bar, with tubing on it for more leaverage. once i got it off eventually the drum was siezed on, but turned freely constantly (even with handbrake on). so i went work and got a 5tonne press, hooked it on the drum with 5 legs all pulling equally, i gave up once it bent the centre shaft... he took it garage, he said they litterally had to smash it off and replace the full assembally

Haha, yes brake drums are another matter! I'm surprised the pins holding the shoes didn't burst and you end up pulling the whole lot off. That's happened to me before. I will be happy when they stop producing cars with drum brakes!

It wouldnt knock off it was that rusted trust me we whacked it in the end he disconnected the abs sensor and handbrake removed the shoes took the backing plate and hub off then in a vice whacked the hub from the rear and it came out an extra 10 mins of work

It wouldnt knock off it was that rusted trust me we whacked it in the end he disconnected the abs sensor and handbrake removed the shoes took the backing plate and hub off then in a vice whacked the hub from the rear and it came out an extra 10 mins of work

I'm confused now.. Surely to get the backing plate off the hub/stub axle must be removed as it's sandwiched in the middle? As far as I know the hub and stub axle are a one piece assembly on the mk2, is that right? Unlike the mk1 where you could replace the bearing atleast!

both bearing done thismornig ( and easy job really ) and no noise , thanks to all who replied :)

glad you got it sorted mate.... well done