Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

Please give your reasoning, as I am in the opposite camp am interested in your opinion

A friend of a friend had a Mercedes with keyless and when it broke down he called the AA to repair it but unfortunately, due to a fault in the keyless system, only a Mercedes dealer could fix the problem.

So he had to have the car towed away to the nearest Mercedes dealer (in this instance it was miles away) and had a bucket load of inconvenience into the bargain.

If that's not enough, my mate's Dad has got a Micra with keyless and that has manifested the same problem.

Look at the comments previously on this thread:

"What if the battery fails--will the car recognise you?"

Answer: "Hold the fob right next to the sensor and I guess it can then induce enough current"

Guess is my problem word here.......... :rolleyes:

In fairness my comments are what I've heard from friends so maybe I'm not really qualified to comment or maybe I'm just a remote key dinosaur! :lol: :lol:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 Martyn

Martyn

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

A friend of a friend had a Mercedes with keyless and when it broke down he called the AA to repair it but unfortunately, due to a fault in the keyless system, only a Mercedes dealer could fix the problem.

So he had to have the car towed away to the nearest Mercedes dealer (in this instance it was miles away) and had a bucket load of inconvenience into the bargain.

If that's not enough, my mate's Dad has got a Micra with keyless and that has manifested the same problem.

Answer: "Hold the fob right next to the sensor and I guess it can then induce enough current"

In fairness my comments are what I've heard from friends so maybe I'm not really qualified to comment or maybe I'm just a remote key dinosaur! :lol: :lol:

sorry total rubbish, all keys have a decoder in them now, so if the battery died it would not disarm the immobliser even if it was a standard key. so total rubbish in my opinion,

got keyless, love it to pieces stops scratching all round the steering column too. amazing and i would order it again everytime!

buy keyless and be proud.

#33 RIIIDAA

RIIIDAA

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Ford Model: 09 Fiesta Titanium, Tech & dress-up pack

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Have to agree with Martyn and Krystal's points, having had a megane cc with keyless entry and ignition before my mk7 i'd say to you that the benefits as far as i experience far outway the small chance of a problem whereby it needs to be carted off to the dealer. That said both cars were lease hire for me and therefore covered for RAC and servicing so maybe subconsciously that helps me jump at having the feature.

#34 RIIIDAA

RIIIDAA

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

regarding this:

-----

I think the thing we perhaps all should do on this one is RTFM :lol:

#35 raycopper

raycopper

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Ford Model: 09 Fiesta
Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

regarding this:

"
I think the thing we perhaps all should do on this one is RTFM :lol:

I did, that is what it says to do

#36 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

I think what you should learn from that is don't buy a Mercedes or Nissan. :lol:

The thing is, there are 2 remote keys, so if the key didn't work without warning, far from having to go to a dealer to sort it, the easist thing to do would be to get hold of the spare remote.

It's no more inconvenient than losing your key, locking your keys in the car, dropping your key down the grid which can happen with coventional keys.

the keyless start is probably the best option for the Fiesta along with the USB port.

#37 Air Hostess

Air Hostess

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Ford Model: 2008 Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.4i

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Keyless is brilliant, especially for the ladies when their key is somewhere at the bottom of a three hectare handbag.

Unfortunatly Keith most of us ladies have a 3 hectare handbag and try to get 5 hectare's of stuff in it,being a married guy I guess you already are aware of this...lol but the worst problem is i have 65 handbags,and when your in a hurry (and all the other ladies here will probably agree)and your changing bags you do tend to forget stuff from the old to the new one,and go out with out essential things like kitchen sink,tumble drier,lawn mower etc.
But i do think its a good thing to have keyless,but as mine is a late mk6 it wasn't an option and the question about battery fail, was just that, but thanks for all your answers.
Now i suppose I will get one of keith's super pictures of a car full of handbags.. ;)

Kristal

#38 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

Unfortunatly Keith most of us ladies have a 3 hectare handbag and try to get 5 hectare's of stuff in it,being a married guy I guess you already are aware of this...lol but the worst problem is i have 65 handbags,and when your in a hurry (and all the other ladies here will probably agree)and your changing bags you do tend to forget stuff from the old to the new one,and go out with out essential things like kitchen sink,tumble drier,lawn mower etc.
But i do think its a good thing to have keyless,but as mine is a late mk6 it wasn't an option and the question about battery fail, was just that, but thanks for all your answers.
Now i suppose I will get one of keith's super pictures of a car full of handbags.. ;)

Kristal

Really? :o

#39 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

Kristal

It seems you had no problem finding your key. :lol:

Posted Image

#40 hedgepig

hedgepig

Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

I think what you should learn from that is don't buy a Mercedes or Nissan. :lol:

The thing is, there are 2 remote keys, so if the key didn't work without warning, far from having to go to a dealer to sort it, the easist thing to do would be to get hold of the spare remote.

It's no more inconvenient than losing your key, locking your keys in the car, dropping your key down the grid which can happen with coventional keys.

the keyless start is probably the best option for the Fiesta along with the USB port.

OK, fair point everybody.

Not much chance of me ever owning a Mercedes :lol: and I don't fancy a Nissan Micra at all. ;)

(Much humbled) I stand corrected and next time I'll have keyless and USB!! :rolleyes:

#41 RIIIDAA

RIIIDAA

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

a convert, i love it when a plan comes together

#42 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

a convert, i love it when a plan comes together

Its the future for sure, you cant stop the future! Unless you go back to the future :blink:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users