Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2008> Intermittent Brake Pedal Feel Issues

Johnny Men

Hi,

My wife has a 2011 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec.

On the same journey the brake pedals "feel" changes - sometimes it's normal and then on the next application, it sinks towards the floor and you get very little braking effect - a bit disconcerting!

It was serviced in February, the brake fluid level is fine, brakes are fine. it has pads front, drums rear.

Independant garage inspected it today, no leaks, brake fluid condition fine, brake efficiency is fine (brake tester/rolling road) - he suspects the brake master cylinder.

Anyone experienced similar?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John

have you had any work done on the brakes before this problem started? if so, though ive not experienced it myself, have heard its possible air can trap in the abs unit, which can give a similar condition..if no work has been done to the brakes, then this is unlikely to have happened, so would then agree with the master cylinder being the likely culprit.

though i would have all the brakes physicaly checked before condemning the master...for example, you may have a rear wheel cylinder sticking

• Like 1

Common fault on these (know from experience) is the electronic control unit, more commonly know as the abs unit. Quite costly at around £340 fitted. Mine had excessive travel on pedal, which I considered to be dangerous, luckily it was an advisory on previous MOT before I purchased the car, so the garage got ford to replace the part before I picked up the car. After looking into the problem (just out of curiosity) it seems quite wide spread.

Thanks, I saw the abs thing elsewhere too, but not had any work done on brakes.

Already been inspected and no visible signs of leaks, they also put it on their MOT brake tester and all individual wheels braking fine.

I will mention the abs thing to them as an idea.

All my brakes were working fine, and no leaks, but the amount of travel on the pedal was enough for it to become an advisory on the MOT.

Wouldn't take too much notice of the brake roller test unless the pedal dropped at time of test..

Would recommend a proper and full physical check of the brakes.

The abs module can go faulty, but it sounds like air is getting into system, which is more likely a master cylinder fault than abs, unless work was carried out on brakes before the problem started...and as stated elsewhere, if air is in abs, can be bled out via duagnostics

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas so far.

A proper inspection was done on Monday, road roller brake test, water content in brake fluid checked, on ramp inspection etc

To clarify, no work has been done on the brakes previously.

Thanks again

John

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club