Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Bleeding Problem (Continued)

Hutchy70

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your previous suggestions, but I still need your help.

Well, I finally managed to fit a replacement Master cylinder and what a pig of a job that was :angry: . Now though, the problem is still not fixed, because when I try to refill the clutch system with fluid it just disappears somewhere. I have checked under the pedal and in the engine compartment and also under the car but no sign of any leaks. The bleed screw is fully open but no fluid is coming out, it's as if the fluid isn't reaching the Slave Cylinder at all. So where can it be going I have now put nearly 1ltr of fluid through but no pressure resistance from the clutch pedal at all, it just drops to the floor when pressed. (the Breaks are still fine and the fluid in the reservoir never drops below half way).

Could it be leaking into the Vacuum Servo enclosure when under pressure instead of getting through to the Slave Cylinder (just a thought)

How much fluid should it take to refill the clutch system and could you please tell me what this drum shaped object is on the high pressure pipe (see attached photo)

post-34595-0-21419900-1395172078_thumb.j

Your continued help and advice is much appreciated,

desperate Bob. :wacko:

Right wat way have u tried bleeding the system is bottle full to top wit brake fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Right wat way have u tried bleeding the system is bottle full to top wit brake fluid

Hi Mick, and thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, I am using a Gunson Pressure Bleeder and the reservoir is full until I release the pressure (20psi) Then the tank drops to about half full and stays there, but when I bled the brakes some months ago the reservoir stayed full to the brim after removing the bleeder device and I then had to syphon some out to drop it to normal level. However, there is still no sign of any fluid from the bleed nipple even if it is removed completely. (No leaks under or inside the car. (The brakes appear to be unaffected). Sorry to be a bit long winded but I want to relay as much info as I can.

Thanks again,

Bob

Ok if u remove pipe from slave cylinder does the fluid leak if not remove pipe from clutch master see if fluid leaks out

wouldnt risk 20psi on the pressure bleeder, shouldnt really need it for these clutches, but would at least halve that pressure

is there anyway you can access the bell housing, it could be leaking at the concentric slave, only place i can think fluid can leak too and not see it

is there anyway you can access the bell housing, it could be leaking at the concentric slave, only place i can think fluid can leak too and not see it

Hi, and thanks for your reply. As for pressure bleeding, I have used this system before and with no problem but your comment is noted.

This morning I checked under the car for signs of leaks, there was some drips but nothing serious. However, when I checked the reservoir it had drained completely. This is new, never happened before up to changing the Master Cylinder which shows no leaks except for a slight leak (just a drip) from where the high pressure pipe connects to it.

My thoughts are that I might have blown a seal in the Vacuum Servo behind the reservoir and the fluid is disappearing into there. I am pretty sure it's not going into the Bell housing as no fluid seems to be even reaching the Slave Cylinder. What are your thoughts please.

Very many thanks

Bob.

Ok if u remove pipe from slave cylinder does the fluid leak if not remove pipe from clutch master see if fluid leaks out

Hi again, Which pipe do you mean I should remove from the MC to check for fluid. The low pressure pipe would be direct from the reservoir, do you mean that one ?

This morning I checked under the car for signs of leaks, there was some drips but nothing serious. However, when I checked the reservoir it had drained completely. This is new, never happened before up to changing the Master Cylinder which shows no leaks except for a slight leak (just a drip) from where the high pressure pipe connects to it.

My thoughts are that I might have blown a seal in the Vacuum Servo behind the reservoir and the fluid is disappearing into there. I am pretty sure it's not going into the Bell housing as no fluid seems to be even reaching the Slave Cylinder. What are your thoughts please.

if the brake master reservoir was completely empty, then that eliminates any leak in the clutch system, as the feed to the clutch is approx half way up the brake reservoir.

if no external leaks on brake system, then it can only be the seal leaking into the servo.

though not sure what you mean by 'high pressure' pipe on any part of brakes or clutch system

if the brake master reservoir was completely empty, then that eliminates any leak in the clutch system, as the feed to the clutch is approx half way up the brake reservoir.

if no external leaks on brake system, then it can only be the seal leaking into the servo.

though not sure what you mean by 'high pressure' pipe on any part of brakes or clutch system

Hi again,

OK, the high pressure pipe is the lower one from the MC which goes directly to the SC. The higher connection is the low pressure pipe from the reservoir to the MC. (viewing from engine compartment).

However, I think I found the culprit, there has been a leak from where the high pressure pipe fits into the MC and secured by a spring clip. Apparently this had been leaking unseen down in-between the bulkhead and the sound muffling material and dripping out under the car. Although I thought I had secured the pipe in place with the spring clip apparently the little rubber top hat type grommet/seal that fits on the end of the pipe had not seated properly.

My query is that should this top hat type grommet just fit on the end of the pipe or should the pipe come right through it. I hope that makes sense to you. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing as it was left stuck inside the old MC when I removed it.

If I can get this to seal properly I think my problem should be resolved. I am pretty sure now it is not going into the Vacuum Servo.

Cheers,

Bob.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club