Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

The Bear

Think I've Found The Reason For The Burning Smell At Speed...

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, hope you're well.

Well, did a service on my ma's ConFusion today. Got to the spark plugs and everyone was fine except no. 4. Took the plug out and it was covered in oil. Weirdly the hole wasn't filled with oil and the HT lead boot was dry....just the plug soaked in oil.

anyway I'm thinking the valve cover gasket has gone. Can anyone confirm that's correct and if not what the possible cause is.

I'm thinking this was the cause for the burning smell at 90mph I was getting. I looked the whole engine over and found no oil leaks whatsoever. So would this have caused a burning smell? And ps, is an after market gasket ok or do I need to go genuine to ensure this doesn't leak in then ear future?

Cheers guys :)

If the rocker cover gasket had gone it wouldn't be leaking into any of the chambers but just out and over the engine. Is it definitely oil or just wet from fuel (running rich or not good spark on cylinder 4)? If it is oil then maybe valve stem seals or head gasket but you say no leaks. Is there any blue smoke from the exhaust at all?

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi mate,

Yeah defo oil. And no blue smoke and definitely not HG as I tested with a block tester two months ago cos I'm paranoid lol

They don't just leak outside... they can leak in to the spark plug wells too :)

But you said ht lead was dry and the hole too?

Edit: OK I think confusion was I assumed you meant the rocker cover gasket and not the valve gasket. Yes, I would also say the valve gasket too.

Sorry mate, was pretty drunk last night so explaining things not good lol

I pulled out the ht lead and it was dry.... but pulled out the spark plug and it was smothered in oil. I looked down the well and there was a bit of oil but not loads (like ive seen on many Vauxhalls)

:)

.....so are we saying that its the valve cover / rocker cover gasket?

:)

I was thinking the valve ring gasket not the outer rocker cover gasket.

Thanks Nighthawk. how would any valve gaskets (like the stem seal) leak oil in to the plug wells though? as the spark plug seals oil coming up and the rocker cover gasket stops it seeping from where the cams live... im thinking it has to be the rocker cover gasket :wacko: