Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus Water Leak In Boot Via Bumper Drains

idcool

Hello Everyone,

I am suffering from the all too common boot leak problem but the source of the leak is coming from the bumper drains (I believe). I have come across this mentioned as a possible leaking area but no mention on how to repair it.

When I pour water down the rear bumper drains only, water starts leaking in in the far corner of the boot (see pictures). The red arrow is the source of the leak and the blue line is the path the leak takes.

The easy fix would be to seal this up on the inside with silicon but the leak is in the very far corner and inaccessible with a silicon gun or even scraping it into the corner.

It looks like it will be a rear bumper removal job.

So, has anyone come across this problem before and have any ideas on what I should be looking at when I remove the bumper?

Cheers

The car is a Focus Mk2 55 plate.

post-52285-0-98497300-1395343233_thumb.j

post-52285-0-43397200-1395343431_thumb.j

post-52285-0-23404200-1395343442_thumb.j

before trying that try this remove the bumper bolt shown in youre pic on either side now use marine sealant to apply a good dose of it around the bolt hole and inside it now refit the bolt and allow it to dry you may find its just the bolt seal causing the leak if that doesnt fix it then its a bumper off job you could simply seal above that bolt as it doesnt matter if the water flows under or over that area so by using the silicone you can divert it

Thanks for the quick reply.

That sounds like a good plan, I will give it a go and report back.

• 6 months later...

Majorly late reply here to my troubles, but..

I managed to stop the flow (for a while) using blue thread-lock on the bumper bolts. I only used thread-lock because that's all I had to hand at the time.

So it seems like it was the source of the leak. I will try with something more substantial to block the flow when I can get round to it.

• Like 1

I had a long running water leak in my boot which I finally traced to coming through the bottom of the corner boot on the left hand side.

If you take the side carpet out plus the little black bag full of spongy stuff you may be able to see the actual leak path better. On my car the little black bag had actually helped to soak up some of the water. In that inner corner of the body you should be able to see some big blobs of sealer present too, my leak was coming through this sealer so I plugged it with a generous application of silicone instant gasket. The leak then moved an inch or 2 further round so I added more sealer in there too. It's pretty hard to get to unless you've got small hands, ideally using a full-size tube of sealant with a long nozzle would help you get it applied where it needs to go.

Before fully fixing the interior sealing I tried putting sealer around where the bumper beam bolts onto the body, but without actually removing the bumper this was a bit hit and miss.

From what I could see of the sealer applied inside the boot, during manufacture this must be put in blind too, there's simply no access to get in easier even with the body in a bare state before any trim is added - it looked like it was applied before paint but again this wouldn't help with access. Also they will limit which areas of the car they check after watertesting - so it's very possible slow leaks aren't picked up, I'd say mine had been leaking since it was new.

Also the fact that sealer is applied inside the body tells me that they do not expect the area to be sealed purely from exterior sealant - if you do remove bumper and bumper beam this might be more obvious - there are a lot of different body panels meeting in that area and it may not be practical to attempt to get it 100% water tight with external sealer.

From there it can be the rear lights leaking and also the spoiler and the rear hinges for the boot lid its rare that its anything to do with the sealant around the edges.from there if you look up its right where the rear light screw sits

In my case I'd previously re-sealed the hinge pockets, removed tail lamp to check grommets, and replaced the nut inserts for the lamp screws. If the spoiler was leaking in some way you'd likely see evidence of water coming through the tailgate trim panels and through the boot carpet whereas my leak was coming in under the carpet.

Best way to confirm is what I did and remove the boot side carpet, mop up any water already in the boot then pour some water on the roof or at the top of the tailgate aperture and look for where the water comes in. Mine was bone dry around all the rear quarter panels behind the carpet but then the water was seen coming in at the bottom corner which led to me finally fixing it for good :)

• 6 years later...

Hi people

I have this problem  in my Ford Focus MK2.

please dont waste time  to find in another place .

Only place who water came to trunk is from spoiler .

remove it an you can repair place of screws with silicone .

Thanks 

4 hours ago, ilia said:

Hi people

I have this problem  in my Ford Focus MK2.

please dont waste time  to find in another place .

Only place who water came to trunk is from spoiler .

remove it an you can repair place of screws with silicone .

That's hilarious! My leak on my Mk2 was from the rear lights, and once sealed, all cured. Takes quite a bit of arrogance to announce that you have the definitive solution to a problem with multiple causes! LOL 🤣 Still, welcome to the forum...

• 8 months later...

I had the same issue focus mk2  but found mine was coming from the rear lights fixing screws hopefully sorted now.

The locut inserts in the body for the rear lamp screws have felt washers on them to make a seal but these can literally disappear after a few years - know this as it happened on inserts I’d already replaced in the past so knew the foam washers were present originally.

Seen versions with a rubber seal but don’t know if these are just a different type or have replaced the foam washer version

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club