Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Police Scotland - Speeding Van

Liam McCann

Hi,

Was wondering what the chanches of been caught was doing between 90-95MPH on my speedo around 400-600 yards away then slammed the brakes straight away ...

Was just wondering what the distance of the vans catching you are ? Are they fully automatic ? Is there any other contributing factors ?

It looked like a standard police van if the camera out the window at the side facing on coming traffic ...

Will hit Google maps up for a more accurate estimate and update everyone !

What's the longest you need to wait before you find out if your caught ?

Thanks guys!

I'm unsure if it's any diff in Scotland but I have just be fined and given 3points for speeding.. took them a week to get to me and tell me and then have a further 28days to pay fine. I was a fair distance of and wasn't entirely sure if they had caught me but they did! Hope that helps :)

Thanks, here's hoping I know I was at least 300m away but fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I would say you were caught...

To be honest, they can catch you from a quarter of a mile. These vans use a radar system, and they will see you slam on the anchors, so you wont get away with it... Especially as it takes 0.3 seconds and thats that.

It can detect up to 1000 metres, and if the road is straight that is fairly easy to catch you.

Scotland is rife for speed camera vans, My son in law was caught by one, i was driving behind him and I noticed from a long way away as it was on top of a flyover so obviously using camera out of side, I flashed my son in law and hit the brakes but I was obviously shielded by his car, we were away for a long weekend and it was on a Saturday, Tuesday morning the ticket hit his front mat. I would be shocked if you were not caught out at that distance, Sorry

I'm pretty sure it's the same in Scotland for NIP's. 14 days and you *should* know, if the car is registered to you and you've not recently changed address etc

The range of camera vans had increased hugely nowadays, and the laser can get you pretty much as soon as it see's you now, depending on angle of approach etc.

Hope this helps chap

Did you say it was on opposite side of the road facing oncoming traffic? I thought they detect the other way otherwise oncoming vehicle could interfere with reading (reflection etc) or even just block view of you.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks for all the help guys really hope I didn't get caught! Yes it was face on above my lane on a fly over I may of been lucky angel wise as I was just coming round a bend but I'll just prepare for the worse I suppose what's the chance of a driving course rather than points ?

I believe if you get pulled over they can offer but if a camera is auto penalty.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Laser detectors work by bouncing the beam off the front of the car and only need a couple of sevonds to record a speed.

Radar units (Gatso fixed cameras etc) work from the back as they use a white light flash which would blind drivers if facing them although there are systems that use an infra-red flash which can work in both directions (not licenced for UK yet).

So if I was say 300m away and could see it even though I banged the breaks on screwed ?

I was doing 4

4 in a 30 ended up with 100 fine and 3points.. No option given as I didn't meet the criteria to do speed awareness course.. Just waiting on seeing how much will affect my insurance

Mines due for renewal next month so holding off till then (naughty I know) haha

As long as the camera can see you then it's got you.

If you exceed the posted limit by more than 1/3 then a speed awareness course will not be offered.

I myself got a ticket for 40 in a 30 zone, bit embarrasing considering my job, but I did the awareness course and when they go around the room asking what everyone does for a job I felt a bit of a twit.

My problem is that I'm trained to drive safely at speeds way above legal limits and sometimes the boundaries can blur (I easily forget that I'm in my own car and not my work one), however I'm not above the law I uphold and take my licks the same as everyone else.

Unlike some unscrupulous Officers (it has been known to happen) I don't wave my warrant card around and expect special treatment.

To err is human after all.

• Like 3

My renewal was insane! As I have posted on the Hate Insurance thread ;) But after a bit of haggling was cheaper than gocompare quotes with no points :)

Why was it insane?

£3272.18 renewal reduced to £828.50

WHAT!?!?!? Why on earth that much?

As long as the camera can see you then it's got you.

If you exceed the posted limit by more than 1/3 then a speed awareness course will not be offered.

I myself got a ticket for 40 in a 30 zone, bit embarrasing considering my job, but I did the awareness course and when they go around the room asking what everyone does for a job I felt a bit of a twit.

My problem is that I'm trained to drive safely at speeds way above legal limits and sometimes the boundaries can blur (I easily forget that I'm in my own car and not my work one), however I'm not above the law I uphold and take my licks the same as everyone else.

Unlike some unscrupulous Officers (it has been known to happen) I don't wave my warrant card around and expect special treatment.

To err is human after all.

I would have said I was in a different line of work in your situation! :P

WHAT!?!?!? Why on earth that much?

Because insurance companies are #@!"£$%^&*()! Oh and I'm 20. lol

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better,

I just ran a quote for my self driving 3 years, 0 No Claims, 3 Points £100 fine, Mk7 Fiesta 1.25, 9000 miles

And i was coming in around £550 - £1000!

Which isnt to bad!

• Like 1

my mate Steve run a speedtrap guide website and works closley with the police,for anyone whos intrested here is a page on the type of detectors used and their range, its an interesting read.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed1.htm

Scotland is rife for speed camera vans, My son in law was caught by one, i was driving behind him and I noticed from a long way away as it was on top of a flyover so obviously using camera out of side, I flashed my son in law and hit the brakes but I was obviously shielded by his car, we were away for a long weekend and it was on a Saturday, Tuesday morning the ticket hit his front mat. I would be shocked if you were not caught out at that distance, Sorry

It is indeed full of speed camera vans but the locations of them are no secrets. The details of the locations are posted online and in the local papers.

Was just wondering what the distance of the vans catching you are ? Are they fully automatic ? Is there any other contributing factors ?

The biggest contributing factor, is that you were driving like a tool. A guy on here had a blow-out at 75 recently and was VERY lucky with the outcome.

Thanks for all the help guys really hope I didn't get caught!

I hope you did. How else will you learn? Do you need to kill somebody/yourself first? Doing a couple of MPH over the limit is one thing - doing half the speed limit again is suicidal.

Watch this video. All the way through. Yeah she was texting, but the potential outcome is the same.