Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Lights Please!

M4RC

@zeuscraig, have you fitted a road legal relay, that reduced the power output of the drl's when the headlights are switched on ??? As the name DRL (Daylight running lights) kinda says what they are for ???

Yes. When my head lights are fully on the drl turn off. When they are off or on dipped beam drl are on. Hope that helps.

Was just saying because you can get relay's that will leave the DRL's on when the headlights are fully on, but reduce the power to the DRL's and these are legal to the best of my knowledge.

this is my car now

Looking good mate

I actually think drl's state that your drl should turn fully off when your main lights come on, You can get relays that dim drl's yes but this relay I posted turns then fully off. I hope I helped everyone to get this neat job done. Now please tell me where to store my sunglasses cheaply without cutting inroof mod. Any neat gadgets out there Ect than you.

There are plenty of NEW cars out there now, with DRL's as standard that only dim the drl's when the headlights are turned on.

And which roof mod are you referring too with the sunglasses holder ??? I had a mk6 fiesta a few years back, and obtained a mondeo sunglasses holder, but that did require roof cutting, but I thought it was a great mod, and easy enough. Is there one that fits the mk7 ???

i still disagree with you about the drl dimming. all the legislation i have found regarding the law around drl state this.

As you can see it clearly states DRL MUST TURN OFF when side lights are turned ON. To be honest i would listen to this and get the relay i said which TURNS YOUR DRLS OFF and NOT DIMMS THEM. Don't listen to this guy has all that effort you did willl go to waste and him making your car illegal.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS UK LAW

Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all new type approved passenger vehicles (except trailers).

DRLs must switch on with the vehicle ignition and switch off when the vehicle sidelights are switched on. They can also be made to function as front position (side) lights, which operate at a reduced intensity when the vehicle sidelights are switched on.

You may have already seen DRLs out on the road - many manufacturers such as Audi have fitted them to new models. They can usually be found just below the car's main headlights, and normally switch on with the vehicle ignition and off when the vehicle sidelights are turned on.

I just checked the dft website and it says

Retro fitting DRL

There is no requirements to retrofit DRL on vehicles not fitted with them as standard. If you decide to retro fit DRL you should ensure they have been approved to the correct European legislation. This can be confirmed by checking that the approval mark embossed on the lamp contains the letters "RL". Ideally retro fitted DRL should be installed such as they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

i still disagree with you about the drl dimming. all the legislation i have found regarding the law around drl state this.

Don't listen to this guy has all that effort you did willl go to waste and him making your car illegal.

Who are you referring to by 'THIS GUY' ??? If its me I am simply stating that there ARE new cars leaving the showroom, that have dimming DRL's when the headlights are activated, this isn't my word, this is FACT, I wouldn't come on here to mislead anyone, and I offer my advice to help others. By all means offer your advice also, but don't speak about me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I have the knowledge to help a lot of members on here. The lights won't dazzle anyone as the relay reduces the power output by 70%, leaving them visible, but not bright.

This may be the case but as stated by two different people from two different sites it clearly states drl SHOULD turn off. It can be misleading and represent that you have your fog lights on at night time wether they are dimmed or not. Yes I was referring to you. I just would not dim my drl cause legislation states otherwise.

There is no legislation on retro fitted DRL

Actually you are wrong. Retro fitting drl have to meet the law of that of factory fitted drl. So yes in theory you got to meet certain standards otherwise you would be breaking the law. The idea of retrofitting drl is to mimic factory fitted drl which of course have be at the same standard. I have read so much into this I don't know why everyone is contradicting what is said.

This topic is becoming silly. It was designed to help people understand and fit drl which will not get you into trouble.

I Believe what Has been said abides by that which is stated on the Dvla website. Everything has been cleared. No need to keep posting inaccurate posts just to be rectified.

Did you not read my post? That was taken from the Department For Transport website. Don't try and act high and almighty like your opinion is the only one that counts. Try checking your facts before exclaiming them and dismissing others first.

Once again you continue. Leave the topic. Your comments now are irrelevant to the subject. It remember my 4 year who behaved similar. Thank you

Once again you continue. Leave the topic. Your comments are now irrelevant to the subject. I remember my 4 year old who behaved similar. Thank you

Please do not try and tell me where I can and cannot post, you are not admin and your insults are just as irrelevant.

????? This is a forum please don't get mad. Anger issues can result into violence. I know a Anger management counsellor for you if you need. Have a good night :)

I fitted drls and followed instruction on fitting with in the hight and position recommendations and has not failed an MOT or been pulled over for them

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Ford OC mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Hahahahahaha. Just read all these comments lol. TBH in my opinion it's would be pointless having the DRLs Turning of with the sidelights especially when I'm gonna put them in a complete different position from the headlights. As long as they are dim enough at night and not dazzling people they will be fine

Also I'm still waiting on another new relay and have now got 60mm rings instead of 70mm as the 60s were just a touch too big for the fogs

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club