Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs?

Valleyboy22

Hi all,

Had a problem with my 2008 1.6 petrol focus when bought it just before Xmas. When accelerating especially second to third gear it was hesitation to get up to speed. Ford said I needed new plugs and they replaced them and it seemed to had improved. It still can be there especially when the car warns up for some reason? Ford say they can't find anything wrong with it and seems fine. I'm wondering if the replacement plugs are cheap ones and if put a set of ngk in them maybe I will notice more again of improvement? Can anyone suggest a site which sells them please because I don't trust eBay in regards to genuine parts. Also are they easy to change?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Valleyboy22

• Hillkidstr

• artscot79

• higgsy

umm wouldn't be 100% convinced that the plugs where you problem but without the car being infront of me and experiencing it I could say, could be ht leads and poss coil pack? but would of assumed ford would of picked up on the coils.

Euro car parts is probably the easiest place to get them from they ahve 30% off at the moment with the use of code mot30

Easy enough to do open bonnet remove ht leads use a spark plug socket to undo the sparks put new ones in reinsert ht lead and thats it only a 5-10 min job.

Theres just been a big thread about sparks I currently run Denso Iridium's, the guy in the forum choose Bosch +39 and someone else had NGK, from that thread OEM sparks are Bosch.

Thanks for the Reply. I changed the coil pack and ht leads last month but did not notice the difference. Was just wondering if cheap plugs would make a difference compared to a decent set.

Thanks for the Reply. I changed the coil pack and ht leads last month but did not notice the difference. Was just wondering if cheap plugs would make a difference compared to a decent set.

it does if the plug are worn, but if it was a genuine ford garage they should be the right plugs, i suppose you could always try as it isnt much outlay if you do it yourself.

The dealer I got the focus from were Evans Halshaw Vauxhall so I won't be surprised if they just put standard plugs in.

The dealer I got the focus from were Evans Halshaw Vauxhall so I won't be surprised if they just put standard plugs in.

stick a set of iridium's in and see what happens whats mileage on you car? 100bhp or 115bhp?

58000 and it's a 100bhp

NGK says that LTR5IX-11 is the code for the upgraded plug which is iridium.

I would buy from somewhere like euro car parts or opieoils or someone you can trust as there are alot of fakes about.

Brilliant thanks. Think I will order a set and try them in my car.

None of those sited do the upgraded plugs for my car?

Thanks. These are right for my car yeah? Also is this the going price for a set of these? Before I commit to buy these will a cheap style plugs compared to Say these be noticeable?

If you go to NGK's website you can double check as that's where I got the code from.

I do notice better running on my car but I run Denso iridium's but I would say NGK are just as good. (Would of bought NGK iridium's but the shop didn't have them in)

I also run all of our cars on Shell nitro + so I would say that makes a difference aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Dnt know what to do about getting these. My mechanic says car ok but he only drove it cold. Explained this but he says that's the way a focus drives. To me it dont feel right and it does feel better when the plugs were replaced but that hesitation especially in second to third and to fourth now and again can't be right.

you can get a set of denso iridium's from carparts4less for £39.36

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2008/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/regular-service/spark-plugs/?408775510&1&9543bfad93c2b1f84f9dbded4032697ac6f4e207&000301

It may be your fuel? I do know that there have been loads of discussions about the fuel but I had to replace the whole injector system on a Mercedes due to a bad batch of fuel partly blocking the injectors and then blowing the seals :( (Probally no where near as bad as this as mercs are just fussy)

So you dont' know it could be anything really since no codes are showing, have you driven another focus to see if its the same? Is it not something that you noticed on a test drive?

Spark plug gaps can make a difference. 1mm I believe.

Also when was the fuel filter last changed?

Fuel filter is a life time item on the 1.6 mk2 and mk2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yeah was told filter was lifetime. Maybe take a plug out and see if it's genuine ford or they were replaced by cheap ones? They come pre gapped now don't they?

Gonna order new plugs and see if makes a difference. Gonna get the ngk one so wondering and tips on taking the old plugs out and I guess it's a easy job.

yea simple enough job shouldnt take long at all,

open bonnet, pull ht leads off, undo each plug using a 10mm spark plug socket, insert new plugs screw in by hand (just to make sure you don't cross thread em) and then tighten them to 15nm or if you dont have a torque wrench just make sure there snug dont over tighten them they don't need it.

are the gaps pre done ready or do I need to do this? What is the gap if so and guess I can get a gage from eBay?

I have never altered the gaps as they come pre-set I did check a couple of sets and they where all spot on according to autodata the spark plug gap on the 100bhp petrol is 1.3mm

Halfrauds sell feeler gauges there only about £4 I think.

But as said I wouldn't bother as on all the sets I have checked they have been spot on.

brilliant thanks. Seen gen plugs on eBay but not sure the correct ones for my car so mailed sellers. Might ring my local motor factors tomorrow to see if the have them also in stock because i would have thought they have them also?

brilliant thanks. Seen gen plugs on ebay but not sure the correct ones for my car so mailed sellers. Might ring my local motor factors tomorrow to see if the have them also in stock because i would have thought they have them also?

Personally I wouldn't buy plugs of eBay way too many fakes about cant count the amount of times sellers say 100% genuine part and its some cheapo things thats worse than the worn out plugs that where in.

Even manufacturers acknowledge the amount of fakes around,

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

Will ring my local motor factors tomorrow or will get them of the suggested site that was recommended.