Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Rs Gears Stick Gaitor Replacement

Graham Taylor

Hi

I'm looking to replace the leather gaitor on my RS centre console (type with the carbon fibre effect) but a little worried of breaking something., Anyone on here replaced this? if so any tips/help would really be appreciated.

The gaitor is stapled to a thin black plastic trim that clips into the chromed metal trim.

Unclip the parts carefully (the plastic trim is a bit weedy) and use a staple remover to straighten the staples out before pulling then through carefully.

I'd recommend not re-stapling the gaiter, you'd be better off just putting a couple of stitches through in place of the staples.

The knob removal can be a sod, it's held on with a plastic collar which clips on tightly to the knob base.

I'd cut the collar down one side so it comes off easier and then (if you get a gaiter with a cable tie at the top) stick it back on the knob leaving a small gap at the top for the cable tie to grip into.

If you are fitting a gaiter with an unfinished top designed to grip under the plastic collar (as the standard one does) I'd strongly recommend using a vice to hold the knob (wrapped in a cloth to avoid damage) and then prise the collar off with a screwdriver, reposition the new gaiter and tap the collar back on with a mallet or hammer.

Thanks for your reply, I think the gaitor currently on is a replacement as there is no collar. I cannot see any plastic trim that it may be stapled to but underneath is a series of plastic pins but don't seem to connect to the top (chrome) bit so maybe its been ditched. I assume then that the top chrome part does not come off? and maybe the current gaitor has just been wedged in although it does seem quite secure. I've just had a go at prising it out and part has come away but still a little concerned at applying too much pressure incase it snaps.

The chrome part unclips from the side facing away from the dash, use a screwdriver with tape on the blade and a cloth to protect the console.

You will find that just hooking your fingers under the trim by pushing the gaiter under it a bit will also allow it to lift up.

Just had a go at removing the chrome trim but seems to be secured by glue or tape and removing this doesn't give access to the gaitor. Perhaps your thinking of a later console and not from the mk1?

Ah yes, as you didn't specify the model but mentioned csrbon trim I assumed a MK2 or later.

I'll check my old Haynes for you.

Photo on there looks like it has a circular gaitor where as mine is sort of boat shaped.

The gaitor is boat shaped, Haynes just do really terrible pictures.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club