Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mis-Diagnosed Problem

AndyHerrington

Good evening all,

Just after a little advice,

I took my 58 plate Ford Smax into main dealership today. I told them I had a problem with my brakes, I told them at 60mph when I applied brakes I had severe steering wobble and that I may have a warped disk or brake binding. I had new discs and pads on the front last year, (genuine ford ones) they told me they would check them and get back to me. Went to pick car up and they have replaced back brake discs and pads. Receptionist went and asked the technician to confirm that everything was checked and the problem had been rectified. £240 lighter I took the car and drove home, took it upto 60mph and hey ho, steering wobble still there when I applied brake and now back brakes getting seriously hot and burning smell from pads.

Rung dealership and they have told me to bring it back tomorrow.

Where do I stand as they haven't fixed the problem?

with you saying burning smell i would tend took look at the caliper for fault.....

Ahh ok, but both near side and off side rear brakes had burning smell. Didn't have burning smell before I took it in, would a caliper cause steering to wobble when brakes applied,

Sorry not mechanically minded,

Just a bit p***ed that they said they have checked everything and sorted the problem out and the problem persists and may have caused more problems

any kind of steering wobble is unlikely to be caused by rear brakes

but what kind of 'wobble' are you getting

vibration through steering column or

steering wheel shaking, ie.. moving left to right

If you had 2 hands on the wheel when you touched the brakes, you can see you hands judder left and right, sorry for the rubbish description. I would say it was similar to an unbalanced alloy wheel when driving at speed

It's normal having a burning smell after brake disc and pads changed, its the oils being burnt off but that does not explain the wobbling

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

silly,but have you checked your wheel bolts are tight?

I haven't checked the wheel bolts, was assuming the highly trained Ford mechanic might have done this. But saying that, who knows, I will check now just in case

You get this sometimes when the front pads have been overheated at some stage. Often if they haven't been bedded in properly before heavy braking. I have had three cars do this in the past. I changed the front pads, took it easy for a couple of hundred miles to allow these to bed in properly before any heavy braking. Things were fine after that.

what you describe will be front brake/steering/suspension related..nothing to do with rears

tyre out of shape

caliper problem

play in suspension ball joint/bushes

tracking

tyre inflation

distorted disc

play in wheel bearing

just a few examples

btw, would complain with regards to rear brake work in order to cure a steering wobble????

though doesnt mean to say rear brakes didnt need doing

I'd say by the symptoms that the brakes are out of balance.

One brake biting before the other would definitely cause a wobble.

Thanks everyone for the responses,

Been to Ford this morning, technician took car and myself out on test drive. After 5 mins, steering started to wobble when brakes were getting hot. Technician said he was 99% sure it was front brakes and couldn't understand why the rears was replaced, told him that I had front discs and pads changed early last year, and he says that's probably why they thought it was the rears! but they should have checked all the discs. He says it could be one of a number of things. A warped disc due to over heating, or when I had the front discs changed if they didn't clean the hub properly the discs wouldn't sit correctly and cause misalignment. Or it could be the spindle and wheel bearing?

Have to take it back next week so they can check which one is causing the problem.

Why didn't they check in the first place? My rear brakes may have been ok and not the cause of the problem.

When the discs are changed, the "run out" is supposed to be checked (that the discs are sitting square/ right on the hubs) and as the disc turns, the disc does not "wobble", it even has a tolerance, where a small amount is acceptable, and too much is not

• Like 1

silly,but have you checked your wheel bolts are tight?

An S-Max does not have wheel bolts, it has wheel nuts, that go onto studs that are fixed to the hubs, it may be a small point but it may be important

• Like 1

It's normal having a burning smell after brake disc and pads changed, its the oils being burnt off but that does not explain the wobbling

oils meant to be cleaned off for breaking... ive never had a experience with a burning smell after changing disks n pads.... if there was oil residue left on them then you would have no braking at all

oils meant to be cleaned off for breaking... ive never had a experience with a burning smell after changing disks n pads.... if there was oil residue left on them then you would have no braking at all

It is meant to using brake cleaner but ford will never go through that much effort doing a good job the minimal is done... even then when done right it can still smell

An S-Max does not have wheel bolts, it has wheel nuts, that go onto studs that are fixed to the hubs, it may be a small point but it may be important

glad you feel better for that, :P :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club