Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Help Please

Bill Eastoe

Running a late (September 2000) 1.8i MK2 Mondo hatchback & the clutch has just gone. Made enquiries to an eBay seller about purchasing the correct part, giving vehicle details (including registration).

My question was:

This item appears to suit my requirement, but would like to double check.

My car: Sept 2000 registered MK2 Mondeo 1.8i Petrol Hatchback. Reg No X909LAX

I got a very quick reply

Please can you verify the vehicle is equipped with a release bearing or a concentric slave cylinder, as both variants show up for the vehicle.'

I'm no mechanic, just an owner trying to buy in the correct part for someone else to fit. Can anyone please advise me how I can find the answer the the seller's question. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey Bill. I'm no mechanic either but I DO work at a Motor Factors and using your Reg number my system shows up your vehicle should be fitted with a concentric slave cylinder. Now I know what I'm about to say doesn't help much but no system is infallible!!

So if you get in there and it's wrong it's a pain but that's what we list!! Might be worth buying both if you want to make absolutely sure you're covered and then either return or sell the bit you don't need. Hope this helps somewhat?

Chris

• Like 1

Thank you Chris. Especially for replying so quickly.

My main concern is getting the right part so the job can be done in one go. A mechanic friend will be doing the job on his employer's premises (with permission), and it's not really practical to leave the car there, with the job half done, whilst getting replacement parts; if the first purchase is not correct. Recently became unemployed, so don't really want the expenditure of a double order if avoidable.

Do you have any idea, if I went directly to Ford, what information they would require to give me a definitive answer. I was a Hillman Avenger man for years, and would not have had any problems with one of those, as I have all the manufaturer's original workshop manuals, full parts lists with every possible option listed etc; but I'm fairly new to Ford & haven't got familiar enough with them yet.

Is the entire clutch different, or just the bearing?

Thanking you in anticipation

Bill

Why not have a look at the gearbox?

The concentric slave cylinder will have a hydraulic pipe going into it and not much to see. The normal type release bearing may well be hydraulic but there will be a fork on the gearbox.

• Like 1

Hi Bill. Stef does have a good point. I've had another look at your 'Juice Green' vehicle using the Reg number. The gearbox in yours should be an MTX75 with a Concentric Slave Cylinder. 99.9% positive!! I would just hate for you to get to the point of fitting and it be wrong!! Fords would probably want the full chassis number off the vehicle, which I do have if you need it!!

Hope this helps??!!

Cheers Chris.

• Like 2

Thank you all. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.

Regards

Bill.

Chris, is that chassis number the VIN, as shown in the little space at the bottom of the windscreen nearside. If so I believe I have it correct as WFOAXXGBBAYGO1796....

Thanks

The only mondeos without a concentric are the Mk1 models (92-95) . EVERY other mondeo has a concentric fitted. The clutch for yours is a pretty standard one so you shouldn't have any problems

• Like 2

Sorry Bill, I've only just seen your question regarding the Chassis/Vin number. Yes that is the correct one.

How much is the clutch kit you're buying and what make is it?? Just being nosey!! Lol,

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks to you and the others for your help Chris.

At present it looks like I'll be going for this one. Would rather pay a bit more, as I know you only get the quality you pay for, but I can only have what I can afford. That's life.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400300903152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Have a look on carparts4less and eurocarparts for a LUK or Valeo kit. You should be able to get one for around £80-£90.

Free delivery or you can collect from eurocarparts if there is one near you. The both give extra delivery services too so you can have it next day if needs be.

I find carparts4less (sister company of ECP) are cheaper on many things.

Just had a quick look and for £63 your only getting a 2 piece kit. 3 piece kits are £120

Sorry Stef, you've lost me there, Where does £63 come from? The one I've put the eBay link to is £80.81 for a 3 piece. I've just gone to it from here to confirm the link's oK. The info they're giving me is

Make: Ford

Model: Mondeo

Engine: 1.8i CC: 1796 BHP: 113

Engine Code: RKA;RKB

Year: 1996-2000

Pieces In Kit: 3 Pieces

Part No: PCK2164

Diameter: 220mm

No of Spines: 23

CSC No: CSC002 Notes: -(CSC Notes:)

Panther clutches is manufactured to stringent OE quality matching standards to maximise performance levels and minimise the chances of premature failure. All Panther clutch kits comes with with a 2 year/20,000 miles guarantee whichever is the soonest (Terms & Condition apply). The Panther 3in1 (CSC) clutch kit includes a replacement cover assembly, driven plate and concentric slave cylinder (CSC).

Thanks

Bill

I was looking at carparts4less.

• Like 1

I see. They were the company I first contacted, and who asked the initial question about if it has a release bearing or a concentric slave cylinder.

With the help of everyone here I appear to have tha answer now, so I'm happy thank you. Waiting for some bike bits now, as I had a fork seal go on Sunday.

A big THANK YOU to everyone here.

• Like 2

Just had a quick look and for £63 your only getting a 2 piece kit. 3 piece kits are £120

Whenever I buy mondeo clutches I always buy the 2-piece kit and the cylinder seperately. It's always cheaper! 5-speed cylinders are not dear.

• Like 2

Thank you.

I'm not too unhappy with £80.81 for the three piece kit. One place I looked at wanted over £60 for just the cylinder. Found a couple of cylinders at around £30 - £35 so I don't think it will make too much difference by the time I've also bought the plates. At least if I have any problems with a three piece kit I won't have to worry about two different suppliers trying to pass the buck to each other.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 3/31/2014 at 12:46 PM, Bill Eastoe said:

Running a late (September 2000) 1.8i MK2 Mondo hatchback & the clutch has just gone. Made enquiries to an eBay seller about purchasing the correct part, giving vehicle details (including registration).

My question was:

This item appears to suit my requirement, but would like to double check.

My car: Sept 2000 registered MK2 Mondeo 1.8i Petrol Hatchback. Reg No X909LAX

I got a very quick reply

Please can you verify the vehicle is equipped with a release bearing or a concentric slave cylinder, as both variants show up for the vehicle.'

I'm no mechanic, just an owner trying to buy in the correct part for someone else to fit. Can anyone please advise me how I can find the answer the the seller's question. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

contact autoworld northampton 01604716555 they know what the are about