Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Nice Surprise On My Mot Today

Stoney871

Took my car in for it's annual check up today only for a nice (not) fault to be found.

NSF suspension spring snapped at the base, courtesy of flamin' potholes courtesy of Plymouth City Council.

post-28494-0-55013100-1396294624_thumb.j

post-28494-0-16037700-1396294631_thumb.j

post-28494-0-74040600-1396294636_thumb.j

post-28494-0-03784000-1396294642_thumb.j

Problem is that now after ending up £150 lighter I have found that while turning hard right there is an awful twanging noise coming from the OSF suspension like something is rubbing against the spring on that side.

The garage is getting the car right back first thing in the morning.

Exact same as my son's clio sport a couple of weeks ago. Spring had to come from France so took a week to sort out, £100 plus fitting.

The job was all done in 5 hours (including part delivery) but the pain isnow having to go back in the morning to find out what they have screwfed up on the other side.

Hoping it's just a heat shield or disc cover catching but it sounds ominously like the other spring twanging as I turn hard right.

If they have bawlsed up the rack or other spring then their guarantee best be worth it.

Did you only get the one spring replaced Clive? Twanging I would normally associate with a worn or partially seized strut bearing.

Just the NSF spring was snapped, hoping the OSF hasn't gone out on strike in protest.

Until they touched the car no symptoms were apparent, the spring snapped right at the bottom so there was no loss of ride height or any funny handling characteristics.

I should of asked them to grind the spring flat at the bottom and cut the other side to match for an instant bit of front end rake ;).

Just the NSF spring was snapped, hoping the OSF hasn't gone out on strike in protest.

Until they touched the car no symptoms were apparent, the spring snapped right at the bottom so there was no loss of ride height or any funny handling characteristics.

I should of asked them to grind the spring flat at the bottom and cut the other side to match for an instant bit of front end rake ;).

:lol:

Someone I work with used to own a (apologies) corsa, and his 'mechanic' mate who works for (apologies again) kwik fit, decided that instead of buying lowering springs they would just heat the coils up with the weight of the car on them..

We couldn't wait to hear the result when he come back to work! There was only one outcome! that being the car basically collapsed when he started heating one of them!

Just dropped car back to the garage and it's the OSF strut top mount packed up.

I misread my MOT paperwork yesterday and it was in fact the OSF spring replaced so it makes sense now.

The noise is the spring turning in the cup rather than with it.

Awaiting the sting from the garage.

Anymore than £12 for the bearing part of the mount (price of a genuine part), mind tell them to poke it up their... Are you taking the dog in with you?

Surprised they didn't notice it when refitting, either that or they lost half the ball bearings and didn't want to mention :lol:

£20 for the top mount however fitting will be the hit.

Scuttle off, suspension dropped and mount replace will add to the bill.

The garage is literally around the corner from me and i've gone to them for years.

My dogs go past there every day on walks and often get a rich tea biscuit or two so they know what my Mali is like ;)

Car back and on form again.

Top mount bearings had fallen to pieces causing the spring to grind on the corners.

Another £113 in the bin.

Clive did you question why it wasn't picked up when changing the spring? If it was that bad it should have been easy to spot at the time.

Atleast it's back on the road and in good shape again.

Did ask him but apparently they can be knacked for ages but only start playing up when disturbed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club