Do Not Sell My Personal Information

various engine issues - help please!

plain lazy

I've got a few engine problems I could do with some advice on if possible, possibly related, maybe not.

For a while I've had excessive oil consumption, getting worse recently. It (1.6l 2001 petrol focus) is getting through a lot - a litre in ~500 miles! There's no obvious leaks anywhere, we've had a good look, no puddles where it's parked, and no obvious indication of it burning it, but it must be going somewhere.

I think the main problem with it is me! Much to my annoyance and embarrasment, I managed to stupidly leave the oil cap off after re-filling once. I only noticed (at the end of a long trip) as it was making a funny whining noise when I depress the clutch (ie when my foot is on the peddle). No oil light went on, but it does work as on when I start up. The garage that got me a new cap refilled with 3 litres (capacity =4.5!). Oil had splattered all over the place, I don't think 3 litres of it though maybe 1 to 2 litres.

So I don't know if the noise is from oil being somewhere it should be (have given it a good clean), or from engine damage from running on too little oil. Any ideas?

The noise is every time I put my foot on the peddle, goes away as soon as I take it off, happens going up through all gears, all speeds. Maybe it is slightly better than when it first happened, a few weeks ago, but something definately isn't right. It's a whining whirry noise, fairly low pichted, not a squeak or squeal (though there is one of those intermittently too, but that's another story (I think!)

These could be separate issues or related, I think the latter (as oil consumption was high before) but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated - thanks!

I've got a few engine problems I could do with some advice on if possible, possibly related, maybe not.

For a while I've had excessive oil consumption, getting worse recently. It (1.6l 2001 petrol focus) is getting through a lot - a litre in ~500 miles! There's no obvious leaks anywhere, we've had a good look, no puddles where it's parked, and no obvious indication of it burning it, but it must be going somewhere.

I think the main problem with it is me! Much to my annoyance and embarrasment, I managed to stupidly leave the oil cap off after re-filling once. I only noticed (at the end of a long trip) as it was making a funny whining noise when I depress the clutch (ie when my foot is on the peddle). No oil light went on, but it does work as on when I start up. The garage that got me a new cap refilled with 3 litres (capacity =4.5!). Oil had splattered all over the place, I don't think 3 litres of it though maybe 1 to 2 litres.

So I don't know if the noise is from oil being somewhere it should be (have given it a good clean), or from engine damage from running on too little oil. Any ideas?

The noise is every time I put my foot on the peddle, goes away as soon as I take it off, happens going up through all gears, all speeds. Maybe it is slightly better than when it first happened, a few weeks ago, but something definately isn't right. It's a whining whirry noise, fairly low pichted, not a squeak or squeal (though there is one of those intermittently too, but that's another story (I think!)

These could be separate issues or related, I think the latter (as oil consumption was high before) but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated - thanks!

cant really help but i have exactly the same oil 'consumption' problem as you. no signs of leakage or of it being burnt but its certainly going somewhere. mine is also a 1.6 2001.

was making a funny whining noise when I depress the clutch (ie when my foot is on the peddle). No oil light went on, but it does work as on when I start up. The garage that got me a new cap

Sounds like your release bearing is away on your clutch. Not related to the oil problem your having if it is.

Excessive oil consumption is usually related to incorrect valve clearances. But am sure its hydraulic tappets (self ajusting) on the focus so a cant help you there.