Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Dave May

Mondeo Tdci 2004 Flashing Glowplug And Cutting Out When Overtaking. Fixed Now

40 posts in this topic

I have no other real symptoms. It's seems to tickover fine, it does smoke on heavy acceleration, seems like grey/ white smoke in the rear view mirror. I can literally red line it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but if I'm being lazy and don't bother to change down going up hills etc and just put my foot right down, the problem will occur then.

The injectors were pressure tested apparently, by a Delphi agent.

White smoke is indicative of unburnt diesel passing through combustion & vaporising on the hot exhaust system - causing white smoke

Have you blanked off your egr?

White smoke can be caused by faulty / damaged injectors or incorrect ignition timing or low cylinder compression - these are the most common causes

I did have it blanked, but took it off as it made no difference.

The low compression could account for why it's struggling in low gears. I would recommend putting the blank back on tho, why poison an engine with dirty air. modern Diesels like clean air and clean fuel

GingerFlame likes this

Definitely re-blank the EGRV

Is the car losing coolant ?

GingerFlame likes this

No, coolant seems ok. I did have an incident a few months ago which caused me to unplug the egr. The car seemed to go nuts after climbing a steep hill. It was shaking really badly and black smoke was pouring out of the exhaust. I unplugged the egr and it seemed to fix it so just left it unplugged. I recently plugged it back in and it hasn't happened again, just the limp mode problem.

Black smoke is indicative of a fuel / air imbalance in the combustion chambers - normally a lack of air / oxygen & the top suspect is a leaking / split pipe that connects the intercooler to the EGRV

GingerFlame likes this

The only place I think there could be a leak is a short pice of rubber pipe with wire wrapped around it. It is part of the pipe work for the inter cooler, at the bottom of the engine, I'd say just under the starter motor. I thought I had an oil leak, but when I looked underneath it was this piece of rubber pipe which had engine oil on the underside of it. I took it off and could see no holes or tears in it, and the two plastic pipes it connects were dry so I guess this has some sort of leak in it.

That is worth replacing then

I have a 03 Mondeo 2.0 tdci with 170.000 miles on the clock.

I first had problems when, occassionally it would go in limp mode at high speed on the motorway. This problem accentuated to it going into limp mode on every trip, so that it became almost undrivable. It further developed into starting problems to the extent that I didn't know whether I would be going to work the next morning.

After reading the forums, I had fitted a new fuel filter (must be delphi or ford), a crankcase sensor and a camshaft sensor. The car ran infinitely smoother after this, but the problem persisted.

A mechanic I knew gave me a free test and said it was the fuel pump because the problem was low fuel pressure. When I said whether it could be the injectors, he replied 'maybe'.

When the car became undrivable I took it to another mechanic, who said there was no other way other than spending time on it and doing a series of tests. He did the fuel pressure test and confirmed the low fuel pressure. The injector test showed that I had 3 poor injectors and one dead one. Although the injector needed replacing, he couldn't categorically say that it would solve the problem.

I was going to fit a used injector, but he insisted on a new one. Altogether, I paid £50 for the test, £125 for the injector, and £50 to fit it.

The result is that at present the car drives like new. It seems too good to be true, and I keep expecting the problem to return, but so far so good.

jeebowhite likes this

I have just joined the forum and the first post I came across was this one. Firstly, many thanks Dave for taking the time to write such a comprehensive, well illustrated article. I have had a 'sort of' similar problem. My TDCi 130 would cut out literally around 150 yards from the house when started up from cold. No error codes but a new fuel filter seems to have cured the problem. I will certainly be keeping this post handy for future reference.

The fuel filter seems to be the most common culprit in many cases. Glad to hear your sorted again.