Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Why Bikers Have A Bad Reputation

BigD

The cat and fiddle is a pretty epic road though :) thought there was average speed cameras around that way now?

I presume the police do not have enough evidence to prosecute!

too many smashes go on up buxton, with the cat n fiddle, especially by the winking man pub...

Annoys me so much.

Had a motorbike accident near me last year and it caused the speed limit to be dropped from 60 to 40. Ruins it for all the sensible drivers out there (in sensible vehicles :P)

Not got anything against bikers, but they are particularly vulnerable road users and sometimes should think more carefully.

Fair play to the fella for making it public though ;-)

It's largely because of people like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26848603

Apparently he was so much of an idiot, that the solid white lines, "SLOW" painted on the road, and the chevrons at the bend, failed to make any impression on the level of speed he chose to do, almost hitting a car head-on in the process.

Saw it on facebook and that is the meaning of wreckless driving/riding.

Ignoring the speed limits overtaking between none overtaking zones and showing off, all of those were the cause of his accident.

I have a new found love for bikes and I can imagine how exciting the speed must have felt to him but that is just plain wreckless riding, he's lucky to walk away with his life

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Especially when there's perfectly legal and fun places to do this.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I'll keep out of this one.....

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

The definitive example of perceived ability vs actual ability.

!Removed! poor hazard perception.

I'm a biker through and through, pains me to see this.

• Like 2

Yeah, the overtaking wasn't bad, plenty of room and clear but his approach to the corner was way too fast.

I work with three people who ride bikes. As i said to them, and they agreed, I dont care about what happens to him. If people choose to ride like that they can deal with the consequences, but if the car coming the other way had tried to aviod him and gone over the side of the road it could have ended very diffrently, especially if the car had young kids in it. I am not perfect and drive to fast sometimes, but some people just should not be on the road. It you want to ride like that ago to track, its what track days were invented for.

The definitive example of perceived ability vs actual ability.

!Removed! poor hazard perception.

I'm a biker through and through, pains me to see this.

Absolutely.

Let's be totally honest though, how many bikers (myself included) have come into a bend far too fast and the only option is to cut it wide because leaning in isn't enough?

I'm not defending the guy and I can only imagine that guy has ridden that road before so probably knows the layout so it should have been totally avoidable.

I suspect many who slate us bikers have never even been on a bike so have no idea of the decisions and actions we sometimes have to take and some of those being with only a split second to decide. Even just a drain cover or painted line can make us change position - something most 'car' drivers would think nothing of.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the rider didn't give more detail on why he chose to sit the bike up?

Maybe the video is deceiving, but it looked like he wasn't leant all that far over. Yet, he still felt he couldn't make the corner.

He was on a sports bike. So, on the assumption that his tyres were suitable for that style of driving. And taking the lean angles that the bike and tyres are capable of into consideration, there HAD to been another factor involved. As previously mentioned in this thread.

Or, he's inexperienced and has no idea what his machine is actually capable of.

If it's the latter, then sure, his road reading skills were terrible.

It's a shame that the rider didn't give more detail on why he chose to sit the bike up?

Maybe the video is deceiving, but it looked like he wasn't leant all that far over. Yet, he still felt he couldn't make the corner.

He was on a sports bike. So, on the assumption that his tyres were suitable for that style of driving. And taking the lean angles that the bike and tyres are capable of into consideration, there HAD to been another factor involved. As previously mentioned in this thread.

Or, he's inexperienced and has no idea what his machine is actually capable of.

If it's the latter, then sure, his road reading skills were terrible.

I get the impression from the video that he sat the bike up, the corner isn't overly tight either - I don't know how fast he was going?

What kind of bike was it?

I get the impression from the video that he sat the bike up, the corner isn't overly tight either - I don't know how fast he was going?

What kind of bike was it?

That's my point. Watching the video, if I was riding on my bike the corner was easily managed. Assuming the camera isn't "deceiving" us about the speed.

Can't tell the model from the film. I just get the feeling from watching that it's a sports bike.

I will say, he drove closer than I would to the verge.

Looks like a Kawasaki ER500 maybe?

Looks like it has a fairing in the vid. Did they make an er500 with a fairing?

And, weren't they twins? Sounds like a four in the vid?

It looks like the equivalent of the Yamaha YZF600R but can't remember what model it is.

Yes the bike looks like it had a fairing that was ripped off in the crash, it has the brackets for a fairing and the air intakes going into the frame

The guy had completely the wrong line going into the bend, too close to the inside entering the bend, if he had the right line, he could probably have cornered faster, and still made the bend safely on the correct side of the road, - inexperience / driving too fast for his level of skill/ experience

He knew he was running wide on the exit of the corner and sat the bike up and aimed for the far side of the car instead of attempting to make it round on his own side, / instead of potentially hitting the car, head or side on which obviously would have had much worse consequences, if he did not make it round, he chose a "safer" option (in a split-second) which worked this time, as he walked away from it in one piece, which was very lucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_line

• Like 1

Looks like it was a zx6r then! Anyone noticed how bad his boots are!! They look horrendous!

post-3200-0-97158100-1396763460_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Yes the bike looks like it had a fairing that was ripped off in the crash, it has the brackets for a fairing and the air intakes going into the frame

The guy had completely the wrong line going into the bend, too close to the inside entering the bend, if he had the right line, he could probably have cornered faster, and still made the bend safely on the correct side of the road, - inexperience / driving too fast for his level of skill/ experience

He knew he was running wide on the exit of the corner and sat the bike up and aimed for the far side of the car instead of attempting to make it round on his own side, / instead of potentially hitting the car, head or side on which obviously would have had much worse consequences, if he did not make it round, he chose a "safer" option (in a split-second) which worked this time, as he walked away from it in one piece, which was very lucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_line

Roughly what I was getting at. And it looked like that would have been ok in the vid, going by the condition of the road.

Up my way tho, the racing line is a different game. You'd have to be mental to use it. The centre of our roads (the line between where car tyres sit) is full of grit/dust/dirt. Crossing it at any angle other than upright is suicidal. It's just as dangerous as a diesel spill and asking for an off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club