Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Eagle Has Landed

The Dark Knight

Back of my handbook under R for running in.

It's more important to vary the speed and revs over the first 1000 miles and not drive at too low revs. Labouring is actually worse than high revs but common sense prevails with a new car. Everything has to bed in to avoid premature wear. Get your first oil change in early to get rid of the swarf from the new engine. Also this is a high performance machine. Don't skimp on servicing, quality of fuel and tyres etc.

You should always make sure the engine is fully up to temp before revving it too high (above 3k rpm). You shouldn't need to run in a modern engine as such, but try to keep full throttle /max revs to short bursts for the first few hundred miles.

Also, don't forget that you WILL need to bed in the brakes. This can take several hundred miles of regular road driving, but this can be done in a couple of hours hours using the correct technique (search how to bed in brakes on a track/race car for details on how to do this - you will need a nice long empty road to do this!). DO NOT drive fast with hard braking until you have bedded them in. You will ruin your brakes if you do.

1.0 125 Zetec S on order!

Back of my handbook under R for running in.

It's more important to vary the speed and revs over the first 1000 miles and not drive at too low revs. Labouring is actually worse than high revs but common sense prevails with a new car. Everything has to bed in to avoid premature wear. Get your first oil change in early to get rid of the swarf from the new engine. Also this is a high performance machine. Don't skimp on servicing, quality of fuel and tyres etc.

Ah see what you're getting at now. I do vary driving, can't blast around everywhere after all and crawling along on M62 car park everyday probably helps balance it all out.

I always service on time, have got a 3 year deal with Ford so no worries about costs.

I use v-power and tyres will have to see when they are due to be replaced.

with the first oil change, when does this need to be done? I've done 8k now and not changed the oil, first new car I've had and thought you just change it on the first service?

Well, my old car is up for sale for any potential ZS owners: http://www.geoffcoxcarsales.co.uk/used/ford/fiesta/1-0-ecoboost-125-zetec-s-3dr-ford-sync---dab-radio/for-sale-in-ripley-derbyshire/aetv64762094/

They have messed up some details on the site though. It only had 5.6k miles on it, didn't have DAB and I was the owner as opposed to them putting N/A!

I use v-power and tyres will have to see when they are due to be replaced.

Would v-power actually make any difference? Does ford recommend higher octane fuel with the 1.0T?

As far as I'm aware, there is no difference in the "quality". It's just the octane level. And in the case of fuel, the more expensive version isn't necessarily better unless the car is designed to run on it.

Yes? No?

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

Like a proud parent I want to share pics of mine! Maybe we should get all these ST owners together and attack some B roads, be honest who doesn't want to drive their ST while looking at a whole fleet of others?

post-51280-139657450292_thumb.jpgpost-51280-139657451459_thumb.jpg

DomT8

• Like 3

sounds pretty goood too me :)

As far as I'm aware, there is no difference in the "quality". It's just the octane level. And in the case of fuel, the more expensive version isn't necessarily better unless the car is designed to run on it.

That's what I heard too. Unless the ST can take advantage of higher octane fuel I'll probably not bother with it.

As for running in, I think I'll take it easy for the first 1k miles, probably try to follow the AA guide: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/running-in-a-new-car.html

And I'll avoid motorways wherever I can to begin with, just so I'm varying my speed a lot, and always revving to 3k RPM before changing up. I've heard you should do the first oil change after as litle as 20 miles, that seems a bit extreme though. Would 500 miles be more sensible?

The jury is out on V-Power but after splashing out on a special car like the ST I can't understand anyone saving a few bob by sticking cheap supermarket fuel in. I always go for proper branded stuff like Esso or Shell even with a standard car like mine.

As for the first oil and filter change I think it's in one of the books maybe but personally I would get it done after the running in period. Just get it done locally with the right grade oil then stick to the normal service schedule after that with an oil change at least annually. It gets rid of any debris and running in swarf etc from the new engine.

Remember that engines with turbos rely on quality clean oil and also let the engine tick over for 30 seconds before switching off for cooling to prevent the hot oil carbonising in the turbo oil feeds.

• Like 1

Dark knight, am I right in thinking you traded a ZS in for your ST? How old was the ZS and did you own it or how far into finance deal was you when you upgraded? I am giving this upgrade some thought myself, as much as I love the ZS...

The jury is out on V-Power but after splashing out on a special car like the ST I can't understand anyone saving a few bob by sticking cheap supermarket fuel in. I always go for proper branded stuff like Esso or Shell even with a standard car like mine.

I always assumed the supermarket fuel was basically the same as branded, if we're talking about standard unleaded. I might just go for Vpower when I get my ST, even if all I'm getting from it is a placebo effect :). But I guess those extra additives must be good for the engine, also I don't do many miles in a year so it won't be much more expensive for me.

Dark knight, am I right in thinking you traded a ZS in for your ST? How old was the ZS and did you own it or how far into finance deal was you when you upgraded? I am giving this upgrade some thought myself, as much as I love the ZS...

I'm considering this and I haven't even picked my ZS up yet!

hopefully next week, fingers crossed

I notice your from Sussex, is that dinneages??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

it sure is got it from Dinnages in Brighton thats my local dealer because i live in Brighton what about you ?

Phil the supermarket stuff often lacks the cleaning additives. There is always dispute about this and you will hear all sorts of opinions but I play safe and have never had problems as a result. There are people who have done tons of miles on supermarket stuff and fair enough. But this isn't a taxi it's a high performance expensive car.

In answer to GlynnZS, I was on a ford options plan and I had the ZS on a 13 plate from new and had it just over a year. The ST was beyond my reach until the dealer offered £1k more trade in than other dealers.

The ZS is still the best all rounder but solely on performance, the difference is unreal when you want to move quickly!

At first, I thought the insurance would only be £7 more per month than the £20 per month I was paying for the ZS but that quote didn't suit my requirements so I paid a bit more and can sum it up as follows:

I'm 30 with 5 years ncb which I opted to protect. One very minor accident in 2012 where someone ran into me but no claim made.

Got premium cover with Sainsburys with £100 vol excess and lost key cover. It also includes uninsured driver protection. I am paying £38 per month.

I paid outright for GAP which is a must. Got 2 years cover with ALA for £90 with £15k claim limit.

Defo weigh up insurance and fuel before buying. The deal just made it affordable for me. If it wasn't for Uni fees, I would have been up for the ST when it came out.

it sure is got it from Dinnages in Brighton thats my local dealer because i live in Brighton what about you ?

Well dinneages in HH is my local but I got a better deal at Lifestyle in Horsham all though I do wish I had gone to Dinneages as the customer service ain't that great at lifestyle :)

In answer to GlynnZS, I was on a ford options plan and I had the ZS on a 13 plate from new and had it just over a year. The ST was beyond my reach until the dealer offered £1k more trade in than other dealers.

The ZS is still the best all rounder but solely on performance, the difference is unreal when you want to move quickly!

At first, I thought the insurance would only be £7 more per month than the £20 per month I was paying for the ZS but that quote didn't suit my requirements so I paid a bit more and can sum it up as follows:

I'm 30 with 5 years ncb which I opted to protect. One very minor accident in 2012 where someone ran into me but no claim made.

Got premium cover with Sainsburys with £100 vol excess and lost key cover. It also includes uninsured driver protection. I am paying £38 per month.

I paid outright for GAP which is a must. Got 2 years cover with ALA for £90 with £15k claim limit.

Defo weigh up insurance and fuel before buying. The deal just made it affordable for me. If it wasn't for Uni fees, I would have been up for the ST when it came out.

Ha, I turn 30 in September, I think that must have something to do with me wanting one, get it out of my system before I need to get something more sensible!

I've only got 3 years no claims, 4 in August and live in Manchester which pushes premiums up, so whether I get one will depend on how much the premiums are over the ZS

I always assumed the supermarket fuel was basically the same as branded, if we're talking about standard unleaded.

The garage I pass on the way to work is a bp. Filling there returns 32mpg. Filling at my local Tesco returns 28mpg. I've tested it a few time's over 3/4 tanks of fuel. Branded fuel is definitely better.

As for the difference with high octane stuff, I've never tested it against standard stuff.

I run the Evo on high octane, because it voids the warranty if you don't.

I'm still convinced the feesty wouldn't NEED to have it. They don't insist you use it on most sportsbikes. And some of them are running 200bhp/l

At the end of the day, if it makes you feel like your looking after your motor that little bit better, it's worth the few extra quid eh?

Query about the steering lock guys. I noticed after I switched the engine off that the steering lock wouldn't engage but then I thought of course it won't, I am still in the car with the key. I stood outside the car and tried to turn the wheel but still no lock engaged. I went in the house and came back out and it had locked so obviously a bit of a delay there. I assume that's normal?

Another query, I sat on the drive with engine running and key in my pocket and then got out and walked several metres away from the car with key still in pocket and it kept running. Is that supposed to happen or should the engine stop?

I assume you have keyless start?

If so then there is an electric steering lock. If you wait long enough after stopping the engine you hear it lock. Might need to open the door I can't remember.

And the car will keep running even without the key fob in the car, it is only needed to start the engine to deactivate the immobiliser. On my Focus though the car keeps beeping if the key is not detected with the engine running.

Leave the engine running pop the bonnet and turn it off, you'll hear it click when the lock kicks in

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Cheers. I keep forgetting about keyless start when I get in. Keep reaching to put the key in lol

Cheers. I keep forgetting about keyless start when I get in. Keep reaching to put the key in lol

Same it took me a week or so to finally get used to it and remember :)

Would v-power actually make any difference? Does ford recommend higher octane fuel with the 1.0T?

Yes? No?

The ST doesn't need the higher octane but I use it cause there is a Shell garage nearby that is selling at £1.35 so not that much more than Asda, about £3-£5 per fill depending on how much I need.

Like a proud parent I want to share pics of mine! Maybe we should get all these ST owners together and attack some B roads, be honest who doesn't want to drive their ST while looking at a whole fleet of others?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByFord OC1396574503.887991.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByFord OC1396574515.270736.jpg

DomT8

Agree with that, Where though? Wiltshire is a fair drive from Yorkshire. I've done a few miles around North Wales and the Peak district going to get up the Dales next decent weekend.

Ha, I turn 30 in September, I think that must have something to do with me wanting one, get it out of my system before I need to get something more sensible!

I've only got 3 years no claims, 4 in August and live in Manchester which pushes premiums up, so whether I get one will depend on how much the premiums are over the ZS

I only have 3 years NCB and live in West Yorkshire so high premiums abound. My advantage is my age my premium from the ZS only increased by around £50 and that included the admin fee.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club