• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rowey

Rowey

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk 4
Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hi, my Mk 4 fiesta is using a lot of oil but is not burning it and has no external leaks! God only nows where it 's going! Any suggestions?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk5 Fiesta

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

When was the last time you did the valve clearances?

If they're loose then it would cause it to use up a lot of oil and reduce your mpg, not to mention make it sound abit tappity?

#3 zetecherb

zetecherb

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Ford Model: mk4 fiesta
Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

i have a mk4 to mate ive had 3 and its a very common problem with the mk4's is using fuel, i have to top mine up every weekend, i often drive varily fast tho, if your only plodding along you should be good for at least 2 weeks without toppping up

#4 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:39 PM

i have a mk4 to mate ive had 3 and its a very common problem with the mk4's is using fuel, i have to top mine up every weekend, i often drive varily fast tho, if your only plodding along you should be good for at least 2 weeks without toppping up

Get your valve clearances done mate. They're meant to get done every 10,000 miles.

Reduces fuel and oil consumption and can help quieten that tappity sound. Works wonders on any endura engine.

#5 Rowey

Rowey

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

Get your valve clearances done mate. They're meant to get done every 10,000 miles.

Reduces fuel and oil consumption and can help quieten that tappity sound. Works wonders on any endura engine.

#6 Rowey

Rowey

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Hi thanks for the advice. It's actually a zetec and does nt sound tappity. Do you reckon it's still worth checking the valve clearences ?
Cheers

#7 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi thanks for the advice. It's actually a zetec and does nt sound tappity. Do you reckon it's still worth checking the valve clearences ?
Cheers

The 1.25? Would be worth doing, not sure bout the zetec but like I said they are meant to be done every so often.

Doesn't always have to sound tappity for the clearances to be loose and cause excessive oil and fuel consumption. Specially on the zetecs.

Inlet 0.17-0.23mm
Exhaust 0.27-0.33mm

Best to leave the engine overnight and do it in the morning if possible. Needs to be cold to get an accurate set up

#8 Rowey

Rowey

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

The 1.25? Would be worth doing, not sure bout the zetec but like I said they are meant to be done every so often.

Doesn't always have to sound tappity for the clearances to be loose and cause excessive oil and fuel consumption. Specially on the zetecs.

Inlet 0.17-0.23mm
Exhaust 0.27-0.33mm

Best to leave the engine overnight and do it in the morning if possible. Needs to be cold to get an accurate set up

Many thanks again, will get on it!

#9 patrick999

patrick999

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.25Si
Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have a MK4 1.25 SI Zetec and it drinks oil, my GFs dad has a Mondeo and it doesn't need to be filled up for like 7-8 months.

I will probs check my valves etc also, my friend recently cleaned out his pollen filter aswell he said and it has improved his ride.. slighty offtopic with that but just thought I would share.

#10 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

I have a MK4 1.25 SI Zetec and it drinks oil, my GFs dad has a Mondeo and it doesn't need to be filled up for like 7-8 months.

I will probs check my valves etc also, my friend recently cleaned out his pollen filter aswell he said and it has improved his ride.. slighty offtopic with that but just thought I would share.

You should tell him that he is imagining things coz the pollen filter filters air that goes into the cabin! lol :rolleyes:

#11 andyuk7

andyuk7

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Ford Model: encore
Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

how much would it cost to get the valve clearenace done ? is it a big job

#12 patrick999

patrick999

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.25Si
Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

You should tell him that he is imagining things coz the pollen filter filters air that goes into the cabin! lol :rolleyes:

LOL ok. He must be thinking it..

#13 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

LOL ok. He must be thinking it..

hahaha lol!

let me know what his reaction is :ph34r:

#14 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

my friend recently cleaned out his pollen filter aswell he said and it has improved his ride

:lol: You sure he didn't clean out his air filter? ;)

#15 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

:lol: You sure he didn't clean out his air filter? ;)

Who the hell "cleans out" their air filter!?!?

Thats like wearing the same pants month after month and just scraping them back every so often

roflmao

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users