124 replies to this topic

#1 slimfast

slimfast

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta
Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hi just joined today to give an account and a very real warning regarding fiesta suspension.let me make this quite clear this only affects certain fiesta's [maybe fusion's as well]those built in Cologne and shipped here not too sure on year as dealership would not divulge the info,enough to say that mine is an 06 model & apparently it affects fiestas before and just after that date.
my fiesta has only done 7824 miles,on monday 17/03/08 i returned to my car opened the door sat in the drivers seat and i was met with an almighty CRACK sound,similar to someone firing a gun at close proximity,REALLY LOUD.now bearing in mind it had only just been in for its second service at the main dealer i thought it best to check around the vehicle & under it....nothing un toward it seemed.so i started her up and went to move off...an almighty grinding noise made me swiftly stop.not being a car mechanic i called the AA out.it was very clear to them exactly what was wrong...the coiled tension spring on the suspension had split/broken,to quote "never seen one like that before".he really was quite aghast at how it had broken & the circumstances [being stationary].his actual words were "lucky you weren't driving at speed".
This brings me to Ford,having been carried in as the vehicle could not be towed whilst the AA were un hitching my car i went to the ford service desk.my first question was if the car was still under warranty for the suspension which i suspected it was.i was asked how old my fiesta was ,just on 2 years ,.mileage [7824].it was then that i explained to the service guy exactly what had happened and gave him my reg no.his answer somewhat filled me with despair quote " OH ! YEAH,I CAN SEE FORD KNOW THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FIESTAS ....mumble mumble...AH THOSE BUILT IN COLOGNE...YOURS INCLUDED"
iT WAS THEN THAT I ASKED IF YOU KNOW ABOUT IT WHY ARE YOU NOT RECALLING THEM?his answer was Ford do not think it important enough to call them in.if there is a problem and the customer points this out they will replace both springs & ALSO FIT A SPECIAL ZINC PLATE.......HELLO IS THIS NOT IMPORTANT.as the AA guy pointed out to me quote " there is a lot of sensitve gear were this had broken & the piece that came off could have caused allsorts of problems, a blow out or jammed the brakes"and yet Fords don't think it important to have a recall.
i was informed by ford that my car would be fixed by wednesday [19 03 08] guess what it hasn't and why because they can't source the parts & this being a Ford main dealership.
PLEASE ANYONE WITH A FORD 05 AT LEAST TO EARLY 07 AT LEAST PLEASE GET YOUR CAR CHECKED OUT OR AT LEAST FIND OUT IF IT CAME FROM COLOGNE BEFORE SOMEBODY IS HURT OR WORSE

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 matt1987

matt1987

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec now - Soon MK7 Titanium!!!
Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

My Dad has a 55 plate Fiesta, and guess what.... the other week his suspension went kurplunk! Only while he was driving though!!! He wasnt told about any problem Ford are having, i suppose they try and keep that quiet, but he did get his repaired within a week, and also got a courtesey car. All this was after much argument though!

I dread to think what would of happened to my dad, his wife and baby if they were going 70mph on a motorway!!!

#3 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hi just joined today to give an account and a very real warning regarding fiesta suspension.let me make this quite clear this only affects certain fiesta's [maybe fusion's as well]those built in Cologne and shipped here not too sure on year as dealership would not divulge the info,enough to say that mine is an 06 model & apparently it affects fiestas before and just after that date.
my fiesta has only done 7824 miles,on monday 17/03/08 i returned to my car opened the door sat in the drivers seat and i was met with an almighty CRACK sound,similar to someone firing a gun at close proximity,REALLY LOUD.now bearing in mind it had only just been in for its second service at the main dealer i thought it best to check around the vehicle & under it....nothing un toward it seemed.so i started her up and went to move off...an almighty grinding noise made me swiftly stop.not being a car mechanic i called the AA out.it was very clear to them exactly what was wrong...the coiled tension spring on the suspension had split/broken,to quote "never seen one like that before".he really was quite aghast at how it had broken & the circumstances [being stationary].his actual words were "lucky you weren't driving at speed".
This brings me to Ford,having been carried in as the vehicle could not be towed whilst the AA were un hitching my car i went to the ford service desk.my first question was if the car was still under warranty for the suspension which i suspected it was.i was asked how old my fiesta was ,just on 2 years ,.mileage [7824].it was then that i explained to the service guy exactly what had happened and gave him my reg no.his answer somewhat filled me with despair quote " OH ! YEAH,I CAN SEE FORD KNOW THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FIESTAS ....mumble mumble...AH THOSE BUILT IN COLOGNE...YOURS INCLUDED"
iT WAS THEN THAT I ASKED IF YOU KNOW ABOUT IT WHY ARE YOU NOT RECALLING THEM?his answer was Ford do not think it important enough to call them in.if there is a problem and the customer points this out they will replace both springs & ALSO FIT A SPECIAL ZINC PLATE.......HELLO IS THIS NOT IMPORTANT.as the AA guy pointed out to me quote " there is a lot of sensitve gear were this had broken & the piece that came off could have caused allsorts of problems, a blow out or jammed the brakes"and yet Fords don't think it important to have a recall.
i was informed by ford that my car would be fixed by wednesday [19 03 08] guess what it hasn't and why because they can't source the parts & this being a Ford main dealership.
PLEASE ANYONE WITH A FORD 05 AT LEAST TO EARLY 07 AT LEAST PLEASE GET YOUR CAR CHECKED OUT OR AT LEAST FIND OUT IF IT CAME FROM COLOGNE BEFORE SOMEBODY IS HURT OR WORSE

#4 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hi please can anyone tell me how can i tell if my Fiesta was built in Cologne i have a 55 plate????
On Thursday i experianced a load crack which continued with a grinding noise when driving forward. I am wondering if i have got the same problem with the suspension.

#5 slimfast

slimfast

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

Hi please can anyone tell me how can i tell if my Fiesta was built in Cologne i have a 55 plate????
On Thursday i experianced a load crack which continued with a grinding noise when driving forward. I am wondering if i have got the same problem with the suspension.

YES, this is exactly what happened to mine,if you read the fiesta warning thread.please get it checked do not drive the AA GUY THAT GOT MY CAR TO THE MAIN DEALER WAS AGHAST AT THE SERIOUSNESS OF THE FAULT...GET IT CHECKED.you can get your car checked at the main dealer by giving them the registration no.if your car was not built in Cologne it must mean that Ford have got a larger problem than what they are letting on to.

#6 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,944 posts
  • Ford Model: Kugy
Contributor

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

I agree with slimfast... I would be on the dealers back asap

#7 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hi got my car checked out today and guess what it is the suspension....car is now in the hands of the dealer.

#8 slimfast

slimfast

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hi got my car checked out today and guess what it is the suspension....car is now in the hands of the dealer.

Hi,are they going to charge you or is it being repaired under the warranty?how many miles has it done? did the car come from Cologne?these questions are really important as i have contacted WATCHDOG & i hope for a reply soon.

#9 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hi,are they going to charge you or is it being repaired under the warranty?how many miles has it done? did the car come from Cologne?these questions are really important as i have contacted WATCHDOG & i hope for a reply soon.

#10 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

Hi not sure yet... Green flag took the car in to the dealers. I am just glad i was not driving as the weather was bad so things could have been a lot worse. like you it was virtually stationary.
I will speak to them tomorrow. My car has done just over 17,000 and is an import from Ireland. will keep you posted.

#11 slimfast

slimfast

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

Hi not sure yet... Green flag took the car in to the dealers. I am just glad i was not driving as the weather was bad so things could have been a lot worse. like you it was virtually stationary.
I will speak to them tomorrow. My car has done just over 17,000 and is an import from Ireland. will keep you posted.

Hi Twick
If you have time contact Watchdog & tell them it really is that important,some people might not be as lucky as we have been.it seems to me that ford are possibly lying by saying that it only affects cars from Cologne as yours came from Ireland.

#12 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hi Twick
If you have time contact Watchdog & tell them it really is that important,some people might not be as lucky as we have been.it seems to me that ford are possibly lying by saying that it only affects cars from Cologne as yours came from Ireland.

#13 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hi Twick

#14 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi Twick

#15 twick

twick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

Hi Slimfast

I emailed watchdog last night to help get them to look into this issue...
It is frustrating knowing someone could be hurt. I was on my way to pick my son up and the weather was bad this c ould have been a lot worse.

If anyone else reading this please notify watchdog if you have had similar problems before someone is hurt.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users