Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"engine Judder" Around 1800 Rpm

Randallsfocus

Hi this has probably be mentioned before. I've got a 2.0 tdci 2009 model, and it seems to judder at 1800 rpm while driving, similar to how a petrol engine would be when it has a misfire. The car is in a suitable gear so it's not labouring. No warning message comes up, any ideas?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Probably the "flat spot" caused by the EGR system (if it gas not been disabled or a soilid blanking plate fitted) 1800rpm is right in the "EGR operation zone"

Your engine runs well/ smoothly on clean air/ oxegen, once burnt exhaust gasses are injected into the inlet (via the EGR valve), not so smoothley, as the oxegen has already been burnt, this means there is less oxegen to make power,

If you "drove through" the "flat spot" at full throttle (redlining it through the gears) it would be less noticable, but at part- throttle, it can be quite annoying

If you already have a solid EGR blanking plate fitted (as many FOC members have) it could be- a worn DMF, injectors or a faulty sensor, some of these things should show up in fault codes, (on a reader, anyway) though

PS - the EGR valve deposits carbon/ gunge into the inlet, and often all over the inside of the inlet manifold, worth getting this cleaned out (once blanked with a solid plate, this stops)

Cheers, is blanking off the EGR a difficult job? Do you need to have the sensor turned off etc?

I have done it on the 2005 engine don't know if it is the same but it was very easy it is at the back of the engine just loosen 2 bolts 10mm and slide it between the the egr valve and a silver pipe tighten up and all done. It put a light on on mine but did not go on to limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Is there any way to clear the light? Not had experience with clearing dash lights

You can use a code reader not 100% sure which one will be for your car I don't want to give wrong one. I just leave light on

I thought it would be worth mentioning this as this juddering was happening to my 09 1.8 tdci when I first bought it a few weeks back. Apparently, it can be quite common for the injectors to lose 'sync' with the engine. I'm not savvy enough to explain it more technically than that, but it's apparently a 5 minute fix for a garage. Obviously 5 minutes doesn't mean cheap, but I was told that 70-100 quid is a rough estimate. Luckily the garage I got mine from was liable as I'd not taken ownership at that point, but my issue sounds so similar to yours that I'd be interested to know if yours is the same.

Sent from my HTC One using Ford OC mobile app

I plan to do the EGR blank off soon so will post the results.

I plan to do the EGR blank off soon so will post the results.

Just as a "heads up" although manymembers have reported, smother running, less smoke, and slightly better pick-up from lower revs some have reported a drop in mpg,

It may be that the (slightly) better performance has a MPG impact, so the non-EGR blank needs to be compared like for like, with the same level of performance/ acceleration/ driving style

Blanking the EGR may affect the MPG readout on the trip computer (which can be notoriously inaccurate) best to use traditional methods (brim to brim etc) and measured by fuel amout, as fuel cost can go up (and up) so you get less and less fuel for the same money

And driving conditions, temp / etc would have to be the same to make a fair comparison

Let us know how you get on

PS - you probably know already but the plates with the holes are no good (defeats the purpose) and the solid plates are best

Just as a "heads up" although manymembers have reported, smother running, less smoke, and slightly better pick-up from lower revs some have reported a drop in mpg,

It may be that the (slightly) better performance has a MPG impact, so the non-EGR blank needs to be compared like for like, with the same level of performance/ acceleration/ driving style

Blanking the EGR may affect the MPG readout on the trip computer (which can be notoriously inaccurate) best to use traditional methods (brim to brim etc) and measured by fuel amout, as fuel cost can go up (and up) so you get less and less fuel for the same money

And driving conditions, temp / etc would have to be the same to make a fair comparison

Let us know how you get on

PS - you probably know already but the plates with the holes are no good (defeats the purpose) and the solid plates are best

I have read the recent posts regarding MPG figures, and it has put me in to minds about fitting one.

I suppose the best thing is to try and see. Any recommendation for a good supplier?

Many thanks

There are plenty on eBay - try and pick one with a decent thickness - stainless steel are best - the aluminium ones can melt through and mild steel ones can rust - some vendors are still selling ones with holes in them which are obviously best to avoid

A "slot in" type is easier to fit

the 2.0L is probably similar to the 1.6L to fit - there is exellent advice on the forum and Lenny has done a fitting guide

Many thanks

is cleaning the egr valve a possibility? I am having same issues with my 1.8 tdci , I used to have a Renault laguna with same problem and I took off egr valve every 6 months and cleaned it and it made sooo much difference .

is cleaning the egr valve a possibility? I am having same issues with my 1.8 tdci , I used to have a Renault laguna with same problem and I took off egr valve every 6 months and cleaned it and it made sooo much difference .

Hi, to be honest I've never tried cleaning the EGR valve. I've seen the wynns EGR cleaner spray where you spray into the induction pipe after the air filter. But not sure how effective it is.

don't know how easy it would be on a ford but laguna egr was right at the front and I just took it off and soaked it in petrol all night and got all carbon deposits off with a toothbrush and it came up spotless with spring and plunger like new.

Hi, to be honest I've never tried cleaning the EGR valve. I've seen the wynns EGR cleaner spray where you spray into the induction pipe after the air filter. But not sure how effective it is.

EGR cleaner spray is of limited use and so is cleaning just the EGR valve (neither is terraclean or any kind of fuel additive or "super duper" fuel because it goes into the fuel system/ injectors so cannot clean the inlet/ manifold)- the entire EGR valve and inlet manifold really has to come off and be cleaned properly because the inside of these things gets covered in carbon deposits/ gunge (the oil from the breather mixes with the carbon from the EGR forming an oily "gunge" that eventually chokes the inlet) from an un-blocked EGR valve (one that has not been deleted or has a solid EGR blanking plate fitted)

If I'm blanking the EGR valve, would I get away with just removing valve to clean? Before I fit the plate

Thats what im thinking , just taking egr valve off and cleaning it rather than blanking it off , surely thats gotta be an option ???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Thats what im thinking , just taking egr valve off and cleaning it rather than blanking it off , surely thats gotta be an option ???

Yes, its an option, another option is to do nothing

The EGR valve injects dirty, burnt gasses into the inlet, this goes all over the inside of inlet manifold, if the EGR is left unblanked, this will continue to happen, so whatever you clean, will get dirty again, also, there is little point in just cleaning the EGR valve housing without cleaning the inside of the inlet manifold (that tends to be a more serious problem than the EGR housing)

Once a solid EGR blanking plate is fitted the inlet will not get any dirtier

Of course, its not just the fact that the EGR dirties the inlet , its the fact that the engine is ingesting the burnt exhaust gasses instead of clean air, this is what causes the "hesitation" "flat spots" and lag etc, cleaning the EGR valve will not change that - it needs to have a solid plate fitted to "fix" this

If i was lazy and could not be bothered taking the inlet manifold to clean (eg- do it right) i would just stick a solid EGR blanking plate on without cleaning the EGR valve

Decision made , gonna get a blanking plate and go for it

• Like 1

Right im confused , some blanking plates have got holes in , non holes ones are for motorised egr valves , some are for non motorised , which do I need for my 56 reg 1.8tdci , help needed plz

Anyone ? :-)

When I put mine in I fitted a solid plate I think mine is motorised as there is an electrical plug on on the valve. I think there is a sensor which measures the flow through the valve and will put elm light on. As it has with my focus not is stopped all problems I ha with mine. I can cope with the light on and check for codes using my phone and an bluetooth adaptor.

The plates with the holes in are to stop this from happening but what is the point as it still lets !Removed! through

I've ordered a solid one. Will post the results once it's fitted

Thanks for the replies chaps .