Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Cruise Control Problem.. Intermittent Refusal To Work.

ralph

Re: 2010 "60" reg Mk4 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Zetec.

My cruise control sometimes refuses to work. Intermittent problem as can work fine for several days then sudden will not switch on (into stand by mode) no matter how many times I press the "on" button....

Any suggestions gratefully received

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Sounds like a dodgy switch to be honest, best thing to do is a self diagnostic.

Turn the car to ignition 0 - then press and hold ok, then switch up to ignition 2 holding on, when "TEST" appers on screen, then let go of OK and just press OK to circulate through, first of all see if there are any DTC codes, if there are, then let me klnow what they are, it could be that there is an issue with the ABS which could stop it working. Alternatively, if there are no errors, this could indicate a malfunction on the button itself.

Thanks though I seem to have fixed it (fingers crossed):

According to most the only way to cure it is either clean connections or replace switches which involves removal of steering wheel and airbag etc etc. I didn't fancy all that hassle so I looked down the sides of the switches and could see 4 very small square holes. These holes are just big enough to get the end of a small straw down so I sprayed down each one with contact/switch cleaner. This I did a week ago and normal operation was resumed instantly and has worked fine ever since at all speeds... Worth a try for a 5-minute fix!

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 3

Will have to have a look for that myself sounds handy!

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• 3 months later...

Thanks though I seem to have fixed it (fingers crossed):

According to most the only way to cure it is either clean connections or replace switches which involves removal of steering wheel and airbag etc etc. I didn't fancy all that hassle so I looked down the sides of the switches and could see 4 very small square holes. These holes are just big enough to get the end of a small straw down so I sprayed down each one with contact/switch cleaner. This I did a week ago and normal operation was resumed instantly and has worked fine ever since at all speeds... Worth a try for a 5-minute fix!

You have just saved me tons of time. I used some GT85 as this is what I had handy in the same way you described, having had the same problem but with it working less often than it did, and it worked like a charm. Thank you.

No problem! Since I did it it has only played up once since, but another squirt of contact cleaner has sorted it again! I guess I will need to do this every 6 months or so but much easier/cheaper than replacement!! Glad yours worked ok but might be worth trying contact/switch cleaner next time????

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the same issue and I got the following 2 codes, F00000 & C41668. I don't know if they are relevant but I will also try the contact cleaning solution in the mean time.

RIchard

• 2 months later...

Any developments on this topic? I'm the proud owner of a 2010 1.8 Mondeo and I'm having the same trouble... I'll try the cleaning method tomorrow...

Ralph thank you so much for your reply. Do you think WD40 can do the trick?

??? I've always used switch cleaner! It's pretty cheap stuff to buy... Prob cheaper than wd40

Always use electric contact cleaner as wd40 can corrode the switch

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I seem to have got this problem on my MK4 TX very funny problem. Sometimes it's fine I can press the button as much as I like other times pressing it makes no difference even if I press it 50 times (and yes I've tried that).

So I'm struggling with my thoughts, if the switch was the problem then surely 1 in 50 should have worked especially when if it does work 50 out of 50 work???

I'm will to try the switch cleaner but cannot seen the holes does the button top come off and reveal the holes?

Or is it a broken clock spring anyone got any thoughts?

Your best bet is to remove the airbag covet to get full access to the switches

My horn has developed a similar fault to this now as well. No idea what to do about this..

That would be a switch issue too I suspect

Hi

There is no need to remove anything.... The holes I refer too are the little square gaps between the switches when viewed from the side..... Spraying switch cleaner into these holes/gaps has worked a treat on my cruise control which now works all the time!!post-15750-143032659703_thumb.jpg

I have used switch cleaner and it seemed to work for a while but now it is as intermittent as it was before. I have reapplied on a number of occassions to no avail.

Sounds like you need to replace those buttons then.

Mine have been ok.... Re-applied switch cleaner a few times but it always restores normal operation.

Anyone know how much new switches are and how big the job is to replace? I guess I will have to bite the bullet one day!

Pick some up used and fit yourself, can't see the cost exceeding 30 quid

• 1 month later...

Greetings, forum.

I'm experiencing a similar problem with my Mk. 4 TX. I bought the car a year ago, 58 plate, and the cruise control initially worked without a hitch. HOWEVER, over the last 6 months or so I've been having more and more problems activating the cruise control, and now it's at the point where I can only manage to activate Cruise Control Stand-by after 10 minutes of fiddling with the switches.

Basically, pressing the C.C. on button just doesn't work, no response or 'C.C. stand-by' message. The only response I can get from the cruise control is by holding the RES button for ~3 seconds, which illicits a very brief flash of the 'Cruise Control Stand-by' message, but which seems to switch off again immediately. I'm guessing one of the buttons (probably the OFF or Set- buttons) is stuck down. The buttons themselves seem to depress and spring back normally, but the contacts underneath might be gunged.

I'm keen to get this fixed quickly, as I have a pan-European drive planned for summer and cruise control on the autobahn will make this much more comfortable. I will give the contact cleaner/degreaser method a shot first of all, as I'd like to avoid fiddloing about with the leckietronics (bit of a clumsy oaf, I am). I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the suggestion leastwise!