Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Zetec S Problem

DarrylW91

Help!!

I picked my new Fiesta Zetec S up on Saturday and its been great ever since.

Just got home and noticed a burning plastic smell, which I thought was probably just in the air. I got out and noticed steam/smoke coming from the engine.

I opened it up and the water coolant (pink liquid) was bubbling and the engine was really hot and smelled like burning plastic.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z using Ford OC Mobile App

God that sounds scary considering its age.

Did you notice the temperature gauge on the dash?

I didn't notice it when I turned the car off, but I turned the ignition on about 5 minutes later and it was normal, popped the bonnet and although it was still warm, the coolant wasn't bubbling anymore.

Looks like a trip to Ford in the morning

I'm not mechanically minded in the slightest, but I'd say its possible there wasn't enough coolant in to begin with, there is a leak somewhere or the cap wasn't on properly. I'm sure someone else will know better.

Before you drive it again though make sure the coolant level is sufficient

That sounds disappointing baring in mind you have just picked it up recently

Mine done the same, still get the bubbling coolant also.

Had you just done some heavy reversing? When I first got mine to coolant used to get seriously hot when reversing up my drive.

I'd reversed onto my drive but I wouldnt have thought that would do it

Water pump may not be working properly. Take it back.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

I took it into Ford this morning and they seem to think that the smell is all of the wax stuff that the engine is coated in when it's new, and that the coolant bubbling is normal, and it's just "drawing the heat out of the engine"

I'm not sure how much I believe them, however I'm by no means an expert so I'll take their word for it, and keep my fingers crossed

It shouldn't be bubbling the coolant is too hot simple as, the only thing that should bubble is brake fluid after a hard day.

well I've got a 280 mile drive to do this afternoon so I'll soon find out if there's any problems :lol:

The coolant in my titanium 1.0 ecoboost were bubbling when I first got it 3 weeks ago. I haven't noticed it for a while now, though.

Erm, that doesn't sound right! Keep a very close eye on it, and don't thrash the engine until you are certain all is ok... It sounds like there was a problem, as the coolant shouldn't boil under normal conditions. Maybe the filler cap wasn't sealing properly, or there is an air leak somewhere? Or perhaps there is a mechanical or electrical problem in the cooling system somewhere (water pump, fan, etc)? Keep a close eye on the coolant level. And keep a very close eye on the engine temp guage.

If it happens again, take it straight back to the dealer and insist this is a problem and demand they find out what is causing it and that they put it right.

If you don't trust what the dealer told you, you could take it to another garage just to get a 2nd opinion. Hopefully they won't charge just to have a look at it.

You could always phone Ford customer services too, and see what they say about it - I would be genuinely surprised if they say this is normal behaviour. They should be able to liaise with the dealer too, to put some extra weight behind getting any issue resolved, if required.

I wouldn't trust what they said anyway, coolant should never boil. It should be sorted quick once an engine overheats / cooks you'll have endless hassle for its entire life as the integrity of the whole engine will be up the !Removed!.

Bubbling coolant is not right and should be investigated immediately. It may be that the system hasn't been bled properly by Ford causing an air lock which could give what you describe..

However, it could be a number of things, so best to get it booked in and looked at.

Sounds like Ford trying to fob you off! Burning and coolant bubbling over is not normal! I would seek a second opinion!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club