Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking

Joshinner

Hi. Recently I've been hearing a kind of rattling/clicking noise which sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheel. It's not a constant noise and only happens once I've been driving for say 20 mins or so. When I break the noise goes away. I took my car to the ford garage and they said it's coming from the air con which is common in fords?! I'm pretty sure though that the noise was happening when I wasn't using the air con (I don't tend to use it)?! Just wandering if anyone had any ideas of anything else it could be. It sounds sometimes like the bottom of my car is going to drop out. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to drive it. I have an 11 plate and done just over 17k miles. Thanks

when you say its not a constant noise, appears after 20 mins of driving, ..

do you actually mean it becomes constant after 20 mins and goes when you brake?

or is it the noise doesnt appear till after after 20 mins but when it does its 'irregular'...if so, do you notice if the click/rattle is linked to uneven road surface, such as speed humps, minor potholes etc?

does it happen in straight line only, or when turning left or right?

any info might help

Hi. The noise starts after about 20 mins and is regular once starts. Can't say that I have noticed any difference over road types. It appears to be the same. I don't get the noise when turning left or right but I do have a 'creaking' noise but after googling this I hear is quite common. I am most likely panicking about nothing

if the noise is loud enough to make you worried, i wouldnt class that as normal

sorry for all the questions, but it all helps

so does the noise only occur when moving or if your stationary too?...ie, have you tried to replicate the noise when stationary, but giving the engine a few revs?

when driving, does the noise increase with speed?

what im trying to understand is, if the clicking is rotational, in which case should increase in regularity or if its coming from suspension, in which case, although its constant, it doesnt have any regularity to it...hope that makes sense to youy as im starting to confuse myself here ;)

The noise has only been happening when moving but last weekend for first time it was when stationary. Can only describe it as sounding like a lawnmower. As soon as I took the handbrake off it stopped (that's only happened the once though). I can't say that I have noticed the noise getting any louder with speed. I'll have to have a try leaving the engine running for a while then giving it a few revs

Thanks for your help :) I'm clueless

ok, if noise occurs when stationary, that will eliminate suspension/steering components..whats weird and probably coincidence, is how applying brakes or letting handbrake off is affecting this noise???

think next step is to see if you can get that noise going again as you suggested...cant dismiss the air con, but not convinced by it either.

can only think they meant the air con compressor, which will spin with or without air con on, but it free wheels with air con off

the fact you seem to think its o/s/f does make me think it could be one of the auxillery belt pulleys (which includes the air con)

but as said, see if you can make the noise happen again whilst stationary, just to confirm its the same noise your hearing when driving

by the way, can you let us know which Fiesta we're talking about...year, cc, petrol/diesel

Ok, the noise has happened again whilst driving and whilst I wouldn't say it's a clunk it's kind of inbetween a clicking and a clunking. It's hard to describe lol!! Wasn't happening whilst stationary but will try that again. It could be the air con compressor as you say as I wasn't using the air con this morning just the heating. Only used that briefly and didn't happen whilst using it.

I have a 11 plate fiesta 1.2

When you say heating, do you have the controls set to screen and heat? This often turns the A/C on automatically.

The Fiesta's A/C makes a loud click, it is the sound of the electromagnetic clutch engaging the compressor. It sounds a bit like a metal ruler hitting concrete imo.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club